Milled or Insert?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Milled for sure. With an insert you have to hit it harder & that introduces more inaccuracy. My online guru, Stan Utley, says use a milled putter & his advice is good enough for me. Plain or bobbly - don't think it makes much, if any, difference.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Do prefer milled though have used a putter with an insert the last 2 years, if I could get the same putter with a milled face I'd use that most probably. Does it really make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things ? No

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Putter preference.....
Milled face or Insert face.?
Smooth or bobbly (could be either)
And why..

I'm trialling an Insert Odyssey against my Metal X Milled 7....
At the moment the MXM is just winning on solidness of strike.....
Plus it's the bigger #7 head against the V-Line....I do prefer a #7...

Whatever is in my Edel, Ian

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Could be contentious but.
insert 1%. Confidence 50%. Ability to read greens 49%. Hence why so many putters in dark closets and n Ebay regardless of insert type. Had my old Scotty seven years now wouldnt change it for world as so much confidence with it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not so bothered, it’s what actually feels right and I can line up. I dropped the odyssey white fang because I was using soft compression balls and it felt soft. Now on the scotty square back I customised. But that was a case of not using something that I liked ..

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have a EvnRol, it’s a thing of beauty, I was fitted at Core Golf in Thame, great experience and was really looking forward to the start of this season as it will most definitely shave a few shots off my score.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Good putters prefer a soft insert, and just a gentle caressing of the ball. None of your hooligan element, bang crash thud. A gentle zephyr as you stroke ball, tickling it gently into the hole.

That's a sweeping, inaccurate generalisation. If you watch the PGA of European tours you'll see lots of excellent putters using putters with milled faces. Spieth & Mickelson come to mind from memory but there are many more.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That's a sweeping, inaccurate generalisation. If you watch the PGA of European tours you'll see lots of excellent putters using putters with milled faces. Spieth & Mickelson come to mind from memory but there are many more.

Er, it was a tongue in cheek response to Huds tongue in cheek response. Apologies for the lack of smilie

Wolf

Visit site
Milled all day long, whenever I've tried an insert it just deadens the feel to me and I find a lot of the time they're to soft so I end up hitting the ball rather than making a smooth stroke.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have a Scotty Squareback No1 that I've had for about 8 or 9 years now. Always putted well with it, love it to bits, never thought I would change it. However, last year I picked up an Odyssey Stroke Lab V line to try, and couldn't seem to miss with it. I tried it a number of times on different occasions before buying, even taking my Scotty in to compare, I just putted better with the V line, been using that ever since. May grab the Scotty out today for a try on my home putting mat, see how it goes, but at the moment, can't see myself switching back.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think all the new SC have a milled insert, they have been doing this the last couple of years, but all mine are one piece milled, the black one being the best TBH