Mickleson 2_shot or DQ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So Phil deliberately (by his admission) hits his rolling ball with his putter to stop it going down the slope- choosing to takes a 2 shot!

Rule officials back him - but he IMO deliberately deflected his ball, which: were he not PM, warranted a DQ surely.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So Phil deliberately (by his admission) hits his rolling ball with his putter to stop it going down the slope- choosing to takes a 2 shot!

Rule officials back him - but he IMO deliberately deflected his ball, which: were he not PM, warranted a DQ surely.
DQ for me!
He should have just got his caddy to stop the ball with his foot by the hole taken the penalty and had a tap in.

Just not right.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

The very clearly worded exception does not reference PM at all....

Exceptions:

1. An action expressly permitted or expressly prohibited by another Rule is subject to that other*Rule, not Rule*1-2.

The end.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is a time when a pro could have saved himself a shot by knowing the rules better.

Had he waited for the ball to come to rest he could have taken an unplayable lie and played from where he played his last shot from, which was pretty much where he knocked it back to under a two shot penalty.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a time when a pro could have saved himself a shot by knowing the rules better.

Had he waited for the ball to come to rest he could have taken an unplayable lie and played from where he played his last shot from, which was pretty much where he knocked it back to under a two shot penalty.

Or even a single shot 'penalty'

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
DQ for me all day. He knew the rules, he knew what he was doing, he said he had wanted to do it before. Poor example to set.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Around any other course in any other competition, this would be a dq in my book, given the negative comments by the players, media and worldwide audience, I think Phil was given a lesser punishment, I'm only surprised it's just been him and not a dozen others.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Around any other course in any other competition, this would be a dq in my book, given the negative comments by the players, media and worldwide audience, I think Phil was given a lesser punishment, I'm only surprised it's just been him and not a dozen others.

Putting aside any justification, you reference a lesser punishment, implying that there were choices available to the rules officials.

As quoted above in post #3 The DQ penalty under rule 1.2 was simply not available to the officials, although I suspect they would have wished to use it for the reasons outlined in many other comments.

Whether 14-5 specifically contemplates all of the possible situations in which a player can physically make a stroke at a moving ball relative to the other possible options and penalties we don't know but, as has already been pointed out by Jim his action has already cost him a real penalty, so maybe it has.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's interesting that under the new rules coming in the the "personal integrity" of the player is stressed as a fundamental part of our game.

In the interview with PM by Curtis Strange he was quite clear that he cheated for personal advantage and that he had considered doing it before. His defence that he knew the rules and was deliberately breaking them is really disappointing.

I don't know what sanction is possible but if the USGA let this go it is setting a terrible precident for the game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's interesting that under the new rules coming in the the "personal integrity" of the player is stressed as a fundamental part of our game.

In the interview with PM by Curtis Strange he was quite clear that he cheated for personal advantage and that he had considered doing it before. His defence that he knew the rules and was deliberately breaking them is really disappointing.

I don't know what sanction is possible but if the USGA let this go it is setting a terrible precident for the game.

Did he say that he had cheated?

By my definition of cheating - which includes knowing/hoping that his infraction won't be noticed/penalised - he didn't! The integrity of deciding to actually do what he did, on the other, hand, is ill-considered - a term that covers both his action and the (2 shot versus 1 shot (for subsequent ball being 'unplayable') penalty for doing what he did!

Rustique

Hacker
Visit site
In the spirit of the game he was wrong
Don't care if it's me, him or any other pro.
The later statement which I watched told the story for me .

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It was his birthday, give him a break
👍

He was playing badly on a badly set up course, no chance of a decent placing, he just didn’t want to be there and I don’t reckon he cared if he got a 2 shotter or a dq.

It was deliberate so I think a dq was the proper course of action, to my mind the rule was bought in to penalise accidental hitting of a moving ball.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just as we hate the way football has gone with its "professional" fouls and diving, all otherwise none as cheating, is this the defining moment when golf now has to look hard at itself and its players?
When one of its most well none, liked and followed players knowingly breaks the rules deliberatley, aka cheating, is it not the time to stamp hard on it before every other level of golf sees this as commonplace?
You just know that lesser players will look at this and say "if Phil can do it, so can we".

He should have be DQ'd without question, knowingly breaking the rules for gain is cheating. End of.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Deliberate action to break the rules of golf in order to gain an advantage. DQ all day long. Sets an awful precedent for the game and a bad example to anyone watching.

As mentioned he could have simply placed another ball as near as possible to his original and repeated the putt under a penalty of one stroke.

Rustique

Hacker
Visit site
Just as we hate the way football has gone with its "professional" fouls and diving, all otherwise none as cheating, is this the defining moment when golf now has to look hard at itself and its players?
When one of its most well none, liked and followed players knowingly breaks the rules deliberatley, aka cheating, is it not the time to stamp hard on it before every other level of golf sees this as commonpl
You just know that lesser players will look at this and say "if Phil can do it, so can we".

He should have be DQ'd without question, knowingly breaking the rules for gain is cheating. End of.

Your spot on matey
I played football at a decent amateur level with trials with a couple of clubs but was not good enough that was back when you could get stuck and tackle like men and expect to be tackled
Italia 90 brought the game into the world of playing for set pieces in prime position to gain advantage
Diving and acting like a bus just hit had stayed in the game since and ruined it
Remeber the winking Ronaldo ,Rooney incident.
Professional cheating all day long Mr Mickleson