Membership vs Society

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening all,
In a bit of a dilemma, after playing on average once every 6 weeks since I first picked up a club 2 years ago, I decided this year I would get a bit more involved and join the local 9 hole course for the upcoming year to get a handicap and play in some comps. None of my friends play golf so would be going there alone to play or to add on with people, possibly meet some new people. With an ever growing schedule of my son, uni and work commitments, I started to doubt this years plans before they had even taken off, and if I'd get to play enough to warrant the membership fee.
in the meantime, I have bumped into a friend of a friend who, in a similar position, informedme of the society he plays in once a month, usually costing between £20-£40, always the last Sunday of the month and play all the courses up and down Essex. Extended the invitation my way, letting me know the guys are of all different levels, some + handicappers to guys shooting 130+, so not to worry ability wise and that its guarenteed monthly so a good base to work around.
I suppose my question is, do I go for the society, that potentially saves me money in the long run and is guarenteed once a month, or the membership which I cannot guarentee to play once a month on my own but can get the handicap and participate in competing to develop my game?
(Bit of an essay, I know)
Thanks,
Craig

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd say go the Society way.

More golf than currently without the much greater commitment of the Club.

If you find that's not enough for you - and you have the time - then you can always go the Club direction later. Much harder/more expensive to 'downgrade' from Club to Society!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the society is cheaper and they have some way of giving you a handicap and tracking it (most do) then this could provide you with enough competition to drive you on but without the commitment and expenditure of joining a club.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
And assuming the society can and does manage handicaps (as mentioned above) there's an argument to say that your handicap will be far more reflective of your golfing ability as its spread over several courses rather than knowing one course inside out

Also in the longer term your golf game, even without a handicap, will benefit from the variety of courses

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It all depends on the cost of membership, being a 9 hole course I'm guess membership is around 400/500 a year.

Working in that you only need 10 - 12 games a year to recoup your investment to the club. So there's your once a month games accounted for, but what about afternoons after uni in the summer, the other weekends in the year , I think the question is relative to amount you plan to play.

Put another way if your only playing once a month, the society is less commitment, anything more (depending on the membership cost) the club because the economical option. Try and base an maths around an approximate cost of £20-25 per round

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you join a club then it might make you play a bit more as youve put the cost out on it. And then you'd getting better value for money. But if you dont feel like you will play more than you currently are then the Society is the way to go, as cost is lower.

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say go the Society way.

More golf than currently without the much greater commitment of the Club.

If you find that's not enough for you - and you have the time - then you can always go the Club direction later. Much harder/more expensive to 'downgrade' from Club to Society!

Exactly what i thought, start off once a month and if i find i have more time, joining a club will be worth the money.

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you join a club then it might make you play a bit more as youve put the cost out on it. And then you'd getting better value for money. But if you dont feel like you will play more than you currently are then the Society is the way to go, as cost is lower.

Good point, i feel the same way.
Its kind of dictated by the cost element, because if I had the choice i would be playing a lot more than i currently am, so I'm trying to find the balance of spare time and cost

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are many societies in my area who are affiliated to the County/SGU and play on official handicaps.
I am sure it must be the same with England Golf

nope no club no official Congu handicap. Plenty of unofficial options and score trackers though.

OP. its Personal choice and you have to work the pros and cons that suit you best. Society gets you a game once a month but if you cant play due to other commitments on the organised day that month, then youll be down the local club to pay a green fee on your own to get your fix?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There are many societies in my area who are affiliated to the County/SGU and play on official handicaps.
I am sure it must be the same with England Golf

Are you sure? Certainly new info to me. If so, it's another way that Scottish differs from further South.

And are these 'societies' the same as the ones in England - that tend to be around 20 people that are normally first connected in some way other than Golf (how Golf Clubs started several hundred years ago!) - or really the equivalent of Clubs anyway. Bruntsfield and Royal Burgess are 'golfing societies' for example!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Membership every time for me, nothing says you can't join in with the society if you're at a loose end the day they're playing either, once you're a member you'll, hopefully, find swindles/swizzles/roll-ups (every club has a different name for it) to get you to meet new people and make the experience better.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you were saying an 18 hole course I'd say Society, for sure.

But, summer is coming (honestly, it is). Paying ya membership and having the desire to play more will see you hopefully 'find' 2.5hrs in the week to 'nip' for a game thus not be too concerned over the value for money. However, if you know that this time is a definite no-no, then again, join the society and hold off a year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Difficult. On the one side joining the club gets an official handicap and entry into the club events. On the other, if you can't commit that regularly then the society option, assuming they maintain some form of handicap would be the logical choice especially if you aren't concerned about playing one place regularly