Membership Near Woking

JimmyP

Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to the board so sorry if this subject has been gone through before.
I live in Woking and am looking for a local club that doesn't cost the earth to start playing at again. I've got a young family so can't justify spending a fortune or playing every weekend but would like to find somewhere local where I can play a couple of times a month at the weekends, play a few competitions and that has a friendly group of similar age members (in their 30's and 40's).
If anyone has any ideas please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

JP

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Do you mean you want to join a club? I'm not sure you'll be able to play many comps without membership. Ther's a lot of clubs around your area, but most of them are big hitters on the wallet. Taking the obvious ones out

You could try Chobham Golf Club just outside Knaphill/ Goldsworth Park. I've not played it myself, my old man used to live beside it, keep meaning to go give it a try.

There's Silvermere at Byfleet. It's an OK course but can get very busy at weekends - when we tried playing last summer, we walked off after 9 as had taken over 3 hours to that point.

There's the 9 hole Windlemere up the road at Windlesham, where I started playing. Haven't been there for many a year now, but used to hack around it a lot back in the eighties. It's reasonable for starting out, and had a range.

Also pay and play at Hoebridge, but it's been more than 30 years since I played there.

There used to be par 3 course at Pirbright/ Brookwood. Can't see it on Google any more, can see Pine Ridge - no ideas about it though, first time I've heard of it.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at Hoebridge. I enjoy the course, it's never closed due to bad weather, there's a comp every other week for midweek and 7 day members. Membership starts at £1100 I think for over 30's 7-day membership.

3 courses - the main 18 hole, an 18 hole par 3 and a 9 hole course. Nice range, decent pro shop, practice chipping area and good sized practice putting green.

The downsides; the course is open all year, so the course can get a bit damp at times. Saying that, the greens are more than acceptable for this time of year. They were great last summer.

It's open to the public, so weekends can get busy. Best time to play I've found is before 9am (8am in the summer) on weekends, and avoid Wednesdays as the course is often slow due to mid week competitions. They have been known to sneak pay and play players in between pre-booked tee times if a 4 ball just turn up :(

The bar area is often busy with kids / families, there's an "over 18's" seating area but that's part of the function room, so if there's a function, you need to sit in the bar with all the families and kids for a post-round pint. That doesn't really bother me, but some of the older members don't like it.

Drop me a line if you ever fancy a round! As a 30 year old with an 11 month old daughter, I know it's tough to get out and golf sometimes!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
If I were you I'd look at Pyrford, nice course off the whites and they do a flexible membership scheme that could potentially be the best value in your situation. Always a varied age range from the few times I've played there. Also as a Crown course you'd get the chance to play a lot of others in the area free (although to be honest Pyrford is probably one of the better ones)

Hoebridge definitely an option too if what Duffer says fits your needs - nice, varied course that always in good nick for the traffic it gets. But dont expect a quick weekend afternoon round in summer there.

Of the other courses mentioned above I'd avoid Chobham as it gets very wet and has an extremely old membership, and also Silvermere which is a pretty average course bar a few holes and gets incredibly busy.

Don't think my place would quite fit your requirements but more than welcome for a game sometime. Which reminds me - Adam we need to get a game sorted this summer!

JimmyP

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm going to speak to Hoebridge and Pyrford tomorrow and see if their membership categories suit. I'd love to play enough to justify 7 day membership somewhere but it's a few years away at the moment with 2 year old and 2 month old.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm going to speak to Hoebridge and Pyrford tomorrow and see if their membership categories suit. I'd love to play enough to justify 7 day membership somewhere but it's a few years away at the moment with 2 year old and 2 month old.

We have a lot of members around the Woking area who travel. Plenty of weekend comps, several weekend roll ups and no tee bookings (bar a competition). Happy to host for a sighter round

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Never played there myself but PlayMoreGolf have access to Twisted Stone.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but I think for £350 you can play 10-20 times and can top up your credits as it were

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Adam we need to get a game sorted this summer!

Yes we do! But let's wait till the course isn't so wet I bring half of it home with me on my shoes!!!

Never played there myself but PlayMoreGolf have access to Twisted Stone.

Depends on how much you want to spend, but I think for £350 you can play 10-20 times and can top up your credits as it were

Twisted Stone used to be Traditions did it not?

I love traditions, but they have 0 drainage, so any rain and it all gets boggy. I played there a couple of times a few years ago when they had a few holes closed due to the sitting water. Don't know if that's changed... it's been a few years since I've been there. In a dry spell the course is lovely.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes we do! But let's wait till the course isn't so wet I bring half of it home with me on my shoes!!!

Twisted Stone used to be Traditions did it not?

I love traditions, but they have 0 drainage, so any rain and it all gets boggy. I played there a couple of times a few years ago when they had a few holes closed due to the sitting water. Don't know if that's changed... it's been a few years since I've been there. In a dry spell the course is lovely.

Yes it is, as I say I have never played there myself, but I was looking at PlayMoreGolf as a cheaper way of having a memberhsip somewhere and Twisted Stone was the closest to me, unfortunately just a little too far to make it worth it. I played Selsdon Manor with a complimetary round from PMG which I loved but that was even further away.