Membership Fees

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We’ve a far bigger issue dealing with veteran fees which are unsustainable. Too many members now paying fees of more than 50% less than an ordinary member.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I think ours went up by 2%. My standing order, which covers 3 people, went up by £4, which I don't think is too bad. Next year will be better, it should drop as I will have paid off the joining fee for Mrs Wedge.

D

Deleted member 17920

We’ve a far bigger issue dealing with veteran fees which are unsustainable. Too many members now paying fees of more than 50% less than an ordinary member.

Wow, 50% isn't a good business model.

Especially at a time when the working generation are giving up membership in numbers and becoming nomads.

PaulyMcK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My fees came down from £780 to £462 :eek:

Club have introduced an Intermediate Age category from 25-29 which I fall right in the middle of. Low fees for me for the next 3-4 years. :D

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wow, 50% isn't a good business model.

Especially at a time when the working generation are giving up membership in numbers and becoming nomads.

Yip, you'll be aware from our previous dialogue it's an issue we've been trying to address for years. It will put our club into financial trouble at some point if we don't address it now.

D

Deleted member 17920

Yip, you'll be aware from our previous dialogue it's an issue we've been trying to address for years. It will put our club into financial trouble at some point if we don't address it now.

We have just phased out a reduction for senior members for that reason.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

We've scrapped that malarky!!!! 1/2 price to those that live at the club from April to October then clear off Teneriffe for 3 months! I don't bloomin' think so! I want to scrap reduced fees for young people too. They've got famillies my rear end. They earn more than me (x2) and most are still dodging the clutches of females!!!!

D

Deleted member 21258

I have been looking at membership numbers at a lot of individual clubs recently from the public domain, just out of interest for myself(sad I know). Been quite shocked at the number of golf clubs that have seen membership numbers reduce quite a lot since say 2008. I assumed this was due to the aging population and people being nomads rather than members, as well as less younger people taking up the game but I was guessing, so interesting to read your comment.

Also quite a lot of clubs are making losses and/or some only make a profit due to joining fees charged. Neither of which are good imho for a business model going forward.

Some clubs just don't have many members now and it is hard to see that go forwarding that this isn't going to become a massive issue/change in the way they operate.

Ours fees went up about £15 I think to £665, which when compared to down south feels like a bargain of £1k plus where I use to live.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What does it cost you each time you play?

Is that a pitch and putt?

Haha. My club plays on a public council run course. So we pay £100 membership, and green fees on top, which are generally around £20. It's perfect for me as I wouldn't be able to afford a private club membership, plus I like to play different courses on friendly knocks with my pals, rather than feel tied to play my home course all the time.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My old club stayed the same but the fee breakdown changed. A loan was paid off so the money which normally went to that now goes to the fee. I was paying £460 and full membership is about £795.

My new club is the same as last year as far as I can tell. I pay £785 for under 30 membership which is a lot more than what I paid previously but it is a top 100 course in Ireland with a lot more practice facilities and two full courses onsite. Full membership is £1100. There is also £150 bar levy to go on in June too.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ours have gone up £20 this year, think the club is still trying to cover the shortfall from withdrawing from the C.A.S.C. scheme

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Haha. My club plays on a public council run course. So we pay £100 membership, and green fees on top, which are generally around £20. It's perfect for me as I wouldn't be able to afford a private club membership, plus I like to play different courses on friendly knocks with my pals, rather than feel tied to play my home course all the time.

How many times do you play a week? Playing once a week at £20 a hit, plus the £100 membership is £1140 over the year, which is still more than we pay for a years membership. I happily play 2 or 4 times a week at home for that, and still play at other courses through the year.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many times do you play a week? Playing once a week at £20 a hit, plus the £100 membership is £1140 over the year, which is still more than we pay for a years membership. I happily play 2 or 4 times a week at home for that, and still play at other courses through the year.
I play at my home course probably twice or three times a month.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We've scrapped that malarky!!!! 1/2 price to those that live at the club from April to October then clear off Teneriffe for 3 months! I don't bloomin' think so! I want to scrap reduced fees for young people too. They've got famillies my rear end. They earn more than me (x2) and most are still dodging the clutches of females!!!!

I think you miss the point of reduced youth fees