Membership cost increase

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Grumbles from some about the subs we pay (6% increase this renewal) and the fact the course is currently not playable to full length due to some areas of saturated ground and some flooding…basically three holes impacted. I believe the course has been closed four days since end Oct. I’d say that’s not bad.

A mate yesterday complained to me that Hankley Common, just 3miles away as the crow flies, is fully open with no issues…well…🤔

And oh yes, it appears we have money in the bank, set aside for clubhouse improvements, that should be spent on the course. I didn’t ask him what he thought we could do, more than what we are already doing, to sort things…I couldn’t be bothered.

RichA

Visit site
Ours haven't made any improvements. The owner has indicated that the prices are going up and but hasn't given numbers, even though renewal for most is only 2 weeks away.
There is a suggestion that full membership will rise from £750 to £950. That's a 27% increase.
It will still be one of the cheapest clubs in the area but with by far the worst facilities. Plenty of talk of a mass exodus. Sad times.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just found out mine is going up £80 from £1450 to £1530. About what I was expecting I think. Not enough of an increase for me to jack it all in yet.
I'm actually more disappointed that last year we got given bar credit and half price guest vouchers for renewing early, and this year there are no bonuses at all. 😕

RedEyes

Visit site
I was hoping to join somewhere local this year but I won't be.
There are 5 courses within a 5 mile radius of me and the prices they are asking ridiculous, considering they've hardly been fully open all winter.
Near double the price of superior courses in North Wales that are open year round.
I'll remain a golfing nomad for the foreseeable.
Well that lasted long! I've got an interview tomorrow at Huyton & Prescot for 5 Day membership. I need/want to play more regularly so joining a club is for the best. I know a few members there already so it makes sense.

The Lion

Visit site
Well that lasted long! I've got an interview tomorrow at Huyton & Prescot for 5 Day membership. I need/want to play more regularly so joining a club is for the best. I know a few members there already so it makes sense

I’m at North Wales in Llandudno. Happy to take forummers and others for games this season.

Played Huyton a couple of years ago in summer. It’s a nice course though I understand just how average most inland courses are around here sadly.

It’s links or bust mostly, yet the links have long waiting lists and ridiculous joining fees!

RichA

Visit site
Ours haven't made any improvements. The owner has indicated that the prices are going up and but hasn't given numbers, even though renewal for most is only 2 weeks away.
There is a suggestion that full membership will rise from £750 to £950. That's a 27% increase.
It will still be one of the cheapest clubs in the area but with by far the worst facilities. Plenty of talk of a mass exodus. Sad times.
Our owners have just published the new price. They've rounded up to a full 30% increase. Idiots!

Visit site
We are at the higher end with a proposal to increase by 7.8% for the coming year . This wouldn't be too unremarkable but it comes on top of a 16.7% increase last year and due to changes in discounts, means the increase is closer to 30% for around a fifth of the membership. I think when considering memberships increases, one does need to consider it over a couple of years. Some clubs may be slow to catch up having had no or small increases last year in which case, 10% for this year is not so bad.

At least as a members club, they are currently required to put this to a vote and so have provided some detailed cost and capex breakdowns, which I know some other clubs don't, so it may well get approved on that basis. But more worrying they are seeking to change this and want to have the right to add up to 4% over CPI for perpetuity, without requiring member approval. That is for me, much more controversial. We do at least get to vote on that change and it would need a very large majority for it to be carried. I can see that as less likely.

My impression is that they definitely do want to take the club into a different, more premium price level, whether for the sake of it or in trying to raise the quality level significantly. I'd have to say, there's little evidence of the latter so far and there is only so much you can do with a course built on the type of land we have, and of course the perennial concern is whether the money is spent wisely. I'm not convinced. There is also the simple issue of affordability, especially if you pay for 2 memberships as I do. That used to be very viable. Now, much less so.

For interest, I had a look back at 2018 accounts and the increases in running costs since then are eye watering in certain areas. Admin costs and greens up around 60& for the coming year, bar/catering wages up 50% versus the '18 figures. They seem to me like very aggressive hikes but maybe some other posters will say it's the same at their place.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just found out mine is going up £80 from £1450 to £1530. About what I was expecting I think. Not enough of an increase for me to jack it all in yet.
I actually miscalculated as I got last year's cost wrong - it was in fact £1425 so it's gone up £105. That's a 7.37% increase. Added to a 7.95% increase before. In two years I've gone from paying £1320 to £1530.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I actually miscalculated as I got last year's cost wrong - it was in fact £1425 so it's gone up £105. That's a 7.37% increase. Added to a 7.95% increase before. In two years I've gone from paying £1320 to £1530.

I could have 3 memberships at my place and change for that!

Pricing down south is silly!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could have 3 memberships at my place and change for that!

Pricing down south is silly!
The full membership (over 40s) is now £1775 from £1525 two years ago. By the time I reach that age bracket it'll be well over £2000 by the looks of it - and this is pretty much the cheapest 'proper' club in the area. I think I'll have to move house by then.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ack!..........I can join 3 clubs around here for that.....almost 4.

it is a hard call and not 100% will rejoin but been there 18 years and i do love it when weather is nice!! In the Wokingham and Berks area, circa £2,200 is now the low ene price wise and between that and 3k where most are. Ours is proprietary, which adds 20% compared to members clubs

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Some of the membership costs on here are eye watering. My wife and I have given up our membership and going nomad this year.
I'm still trying to convince her to get country membership somewhere but to no avail.

Visit site
The dreaded moment has arrived. The annual scratch my head time. Up 6% to £4,780 from 1 May for the year! Time for a drink tonight

Bearwood? 🫣

To the folks talking about a tenure discount… Our club offers a lifetime membership if your age plus tenure at the club reaches a sum of 125!

I’ll be entitled to that perk when I’m 74 years old!

At 5% annual increase, membership will be around £20.5k per year and I’ll have given them almost £400k in membership fees 😂 I’ll also be dead ☠️