Membership cost increase

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can never understand why renewals are in the winter - surely better in the spring or even summer when you have the prospect of playing the course in good condition rather than closed due to flooding.
I can never understand that either. Tell a golfer that his annual fees are going up when he has just spent the last month hardly being able to play because of the weather is stupid. Tell them in the Springtime when they are back out on the course and enjoying their golf (or not depending on how you are playing).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Just had confirmation of our final fees for Ordinairy membership
  • Subscription £1,376.00
  • Clubhouse Bar Card £75.00
  • Golf Union Dues £14.50
  • RGU Dues £2.50
  • Locker Charge - Large £30.00
  • Projects Levy £50.00
  • GRAND TOTAL - £1,548.00
That's about a 6.54% increase on last year on normal subscriptions, but the project levy makes that up to 9%.
I'm not sure yet how that will impact on the total membership numbers.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just had confirmation of our final fees for Ordinairy membership
  • Subscription £1,376.00
  • Clubhouse Bar Card £75.00
  • Golf Union Dues £14.50
  • RGU Dues £2.50
  • Locker Charge - Large £30.00
  • Projects Levy £50.00
  • GRAND TOTAL - £1,548.00
That's about a 6.54% increase on last year on normal subscriptions, but the project levy makes that up to 9%.
I'm not sure yet how that will impact on the total membership numbers.

It’s nice that they have have given a detailed breakdown, what category seems to have see the biggest increase or is it a blanket percentage

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is that a neighbouring club?
Ridiculous that your fees are dependent on another golf course.
20% is nuts unless there was some major improvement going on.
I think most clubs have been hit with a perfect storm.

A lot of staff are minimum wage based and this has increased recently which has a knock-on effect across the wage bill.
Most if not all of the chemicals used on the course have increased significantly in price.
Equipment has also increased in cost significantly.
The cost of energy remains high for businesses like golf clubs.
Visitors fees have been lower due to periods of significant bad weather.

That's without any major improvement on or off the course.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We’ve gone up to north of £1450 when you include the bar levy.

It was £860 when I joined in 2018, so that’s nearly 60% increase over 6 years.

I think it’s mental that the club subs stayed under 1k for 130 years of existing. Then in the last 3 years it’s nearly 1.5k

The price is shooting up exponentially and i Worry about what it will be in 5 years time.

More so when it’s been closed so frequently this last few years due to the rain.

Viewer

Visit site
We’ve gone up to north of £1450 when you include the bar levy.

It was £860 when I joined in 2018, so that’s nearly 60% increase over 6 years.

I think it’s mental that the club subs stayed under 1k for 130 years of existing. Then in the last 3 years it’s nearly 1.5k

The price is shooting up exponentially and i Worry about what it will be in 5 years time.

More so when it’s been closed so frequently this last few years due to the rain.
Clearly too cheap for too long!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We're a privately owned club, membership is good value - but when you factor in the tax exemptions that the local members clubs are benefiting from, many of which are charging more than I pay per year, it makes you wonder where the money goes at some places.

Teebs

Visit site
£1025, +6% from 2023 (7 day Male).

Feels ok. Costs have increased for pretty much everything and we're investing heavily in drainage.

North Yorks

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think it something else then? What do the annual accounts suggest?

Hang on. I’m just emailing the club sec for the last 5 years worth of account records, so I can conduct an audit.

Keen focus on understanding investment strategy plus a view of macroeconomic factors with relation to cost vs value…

Back in the real world. I am not suggesting anything other than. “Oh look fellow forumers, my clubs fees have shot up”

All clubs have shot up round here and it’s Getting silly money. So much that the two other lads I joined with have had to cancel membership.

That’s not me picking holes in my clubs fees. That’s me saying that golf prices are accelerating at a worrying speed.

Viewer

Visit site
Hang on. I’m just emailing the club sec for the last 5 years worth of account records, so I can conduct an audit.

Keen focus on understanding investment strategy plus a view of macroeconomic factors with relation to cost vs value…

Back in the real world. I am not suggesting anything other than. “Oh look fellow forumers, my clubs fees have shot up”

All clubs have shot up round here and it’s Getting silly money. So much that the two other lads I joined with have had to cancel membership.

That’s not me picking holes in my clubs fees. That’s me saying that golf prices are accelerating at a worrying speed.

Your general presumption is correct and many/most golf clubs have been too cheap for too long and the general increase in the cost of ‘everything’ has not helped there cause.

Lack of investment (from not have enough money from not charging enough) has also caught up with many clubs on the condition of their courses and facilities and many years of what should have been spent are now having to be paid I one go.

Also doesn’t help some clubs think they can be something (better) than they actually are/can be/should be whereas if they just stuck to what they are then costs would be a bit less.

And also if you don’t want to pay that for golf then, like your mates, just don’t. The cheaper club down the road will do I’m sure - assuming they aren’t full like most places are now!

sunshine

Visit site
We're a privately owned club, membership is good value - but when you factor in the tax exemptions that the local members clubs are benefiting from, many of which are charging more than I pay per year, it makes you wonder where the money goes at some places.

This is interesting, what is the tax exemption?

TigerBear

Visit site
Some steep numbers being mentioned here. If I'm getting charged £1.5k, £2k plus, etc. for a golf club membership then the course better be immaculate, the clubhouse with all mod cons, and practice facilities, swing studios to boot!

D

Deleted member 35504

Some steep numbers being mentioned here. If I'm getting charged £1.5k, £2k plus, etc. for a golf club membership then the course better be immaculate, the clubhouse with all mod cons, and practice facilities, swing studios to boot!
Lol don't move anywhere near London, you'll be massively disappointed.

£1500 gets you a bog standard track with probably no practice area, mudbath 3 months a year.