Membership cost increase

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think that even the most one eyed of golf fans must have been able to see that the boom was going to be at best short lived and the real challenge was going to be stopping membership falling off a cliff when it ended.
You'd be surprised.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You'd be surprised.

Sadly, not really. Golf memeberships jump at a when it is almost literally the only thing you can do during a pandemic and people have unprecedented free time and nothing to do with it. 'Oh that is becuase golf is wonderful and club membership is great and a bargain and this is going to keep going forever'

D

Deleted member 15344

It will be down to the clubs to ensure they find ways to keep members and to keep up the interest with golf

All other sports have been active for over a year now , we have had a full winter and then another summer where football , cricket etc became fully open again - and golf was still able to increase the participation

The majority of the golf clubs will have made sure that new members are fully integrated within the club.

If the product is good enough and people are enjoying the sport then they will continue to play the sport.

Some will stop playing golf , some will move to a different level of membership, but let’s be honest the majority will carry on.

Golf has changed because of Covid - I know some will have the negative view of the sport and members clubs but many have done a lot of work to attract new members and then keep them.

D-S

Visit site
I must confess, I do wonder so many clubs run their years Jan to December, rather than July to June.
We changed to April-March from Jan-Dec. It was bit of a hassle doing a 15 month year (subs were paid in two chunks) but it is a no brainer as January is the worst time to present people with a large bill for something they can't necessarily even use if the weather is bad and isn't 'good; for another 3 or 4 months. It also meant that a lot of people forgot to renew and eventually did a couple or more months late and the amount of chasing was huge.

evemccc

Visit site
The Covid golf ‘boom’ didn’t benefit the average golfer - GFs at fancy courses and at the average course went through the (relative) roof —- courses ‘could’ reintroduce entrance fees and hike membership costs if they wanted to as the demand was there —— I think as long as too many courses don’t go under, then a long term return to the (pre-2020) golf mean, should help the average golfer

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the guys I play and work with is a grass cutter (to put it simply). He tied the head green keeper up in knots when having a debate about the increase in machinery and other associated products. Don't get me wrong. It's clearly gone up buy my pal said there's definitely a bandwagon being jumped on

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I must confess, I do wonder so many clubs run their years Jan to December, rather than July to June.
Yes me to.
We have just recived our £1400 subs bill while the course has been shut for 9 days and is shut this weekend.
Make more sense to get the bill when the course is pristine.
To hardened golfers it would make no difference but if someone is thinking about not staying it might just sway them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yes me to.
We have just recived our £1400 subs bill while the course has been shut for 9 days and is shut this weekend.
To hardened golfers it would make no difference but if someone is thinking about not staying it might just sway them.
Exactly.?
Seeing a large bill right now could be that straw....it's a nonsensical time to do it.
Problem with June/July is the possibility of holidays taking precedence over other things..
March/April and the worst of the weather is, hopefully, behind you and the Spring and Summer are fast approaching.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes me to.

Totally agree. To hand over a big chunk of cash when it may be 3 months before you can use the course properly is just insane marketing wise. Take the cash whilst the sun is shining and the course is immaculate.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Leaving aside for a moment the potential membership cost increases, I find it somewhat amusing that this thread recognises the tremendous uptake in club membership over the last couple of years, waiting lists, joining fees et al whilst many of the same posters were commenting on the possible decline in people taking up golf as they think that it is seen as an elitist sport and the rules and regulations, dress codes, shoe changing etc put people off.

??

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Leaving aside for a moment the potential membership cost increases, I find it somewhat amusing that this thread recognises the tremendous uptake in club membership over the last couple of years, waiting lists, joining fees et al whilst many of the same posters were commenting on the possible decline in people taking up golf as they think that it is seen as an elitist sport and the rules and regulations, dress codes, shoe changing etc put people off.

??

Not at all, I think that there were an exceptional set of circumstances during and post pandemic and it is now that we will see how many of those hurdles have been cleared. I would like nothing better than to see golf membership and participation remain strong but when there is a period that you are effectively the only saloon in town, it is hardly surprising that people drink there. Hobson's Choice can lead to some strange figures

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes me to.
Makes sense. My club's renewal date is May 1st, so as you say, at least you're paying at a time when you can go out and play immediately and enjoy the course, plus it's not right next to Christmas when everyone is skint.

sunshine

Visit site
Exactly.?
Seeing a large bill right now could be that straw....it's a nonsensical time to do it.
Problem with June/July is the possibility of holidays taking precedence over other things..
March/April and the worst of the weather is, hopefully, behind you and the Spring and Summer are fast approaching.

I think the optimum time to send out the renewal bill is when the Masters is on! Always gets everyone excited for the golf season.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not at all, I think that there were an exceptional set of circumstances during and post pandemic and it is now that we will see how many of those hurdles have been cleared. I would like nothing better than to see golf membership and participation remain strong but when there is a period that you are effectively the only saloon in town, it is hardly surprising that people drink there. Hobson's Choice can lead to some strange figures
Please Greg (?), don't presume to tell me that I am wrong in what I might find somewhat amusing. We are all welcome to our own opinions and I think you will find that I don't necessarily jump on the same bandwagon as many others do - just for the sake of posting and generating "debate :rolleyes:" and that I'm quite happy to propose an alternative view to the polarised entrenched positions, if I believe it appropiate - or, as in this case, point out some incongruities that amuse me.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Divide the running costs of anything by the number of members and there's your subs! (plus or minus other income/nature of club i.e. Proprietary or Members') As Phil said, there associated operating costs are very different.

I am now also panicking at the thought of @Captainron at large, brandishing a hockey stick!! ;)

Where does the ball go:eek:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Please Greg (?), don't presume to tell me that I am wrong in what I might find somewhat amusing. We are all welcome to our own opinions and I think you will find that I don't necessarily jump on the same bandwagon as many others do - just for the sake of posting and generating "debate :rolleyes:" and that I'm quite happy to propose an alternative view to the polarised entrenched positions, if I believe it appropiate - or, as in this case, point out some incongruities that amuse me.

I had assumed that you were pointing out perceived incongruities in my comment and I was merely clarifying my position whereby it is, in certain circumstances, still be possible for golf to boom and also have hurdles to the uptake of the sport and of membership. If that were not the case then my apologies. My stance is still one that there is very much wrong with many things relating to golf clubs and that the boom associated with the pandemic has papered over a number of cracks but only time will tell if I am right or wrong on that front. Contrary to the belief of some on here, I want to see change and not failure (except where the PGA and LIV are concerned where I think that they should both be torn down and the game rebuilt globally at a pro level). Never seen you as one who posts for the sake of it and apologies if I have inferred that.