Members and information!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Postal voting should be done away with unless its necessary, it should be strictly policed as it's open to abuse. With regards to voting online, again no very easily abused and easy to hack into and interfere with. Club systems arent all that secure.

Open to abuse within a golf club?

It is a golf club not Brexit we're talking about, constitution changes/amendments, fees etc.

If you're worried 30 members may try and swing a vote I don't buy into that at all.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, I've thought this for a while but whilst away last weekend i said something similar to someone (on a different subject) and the reply was basically, look around you, do you really think these ahem, older people, all have e mail and use the 'net?

How many older people have you at your place?

Bearing in mind the majority of our ladies section are retired we have a weekly knit and natter session where we arrange things for the follow week

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a last check 8% of our members did not have an email address and I can think of quite a few of the guys I play with who do not have a smart phone and that can probably be extrapolated out amongst the club to show that a lot of older members do not have one. Bearing in mind that like most clubs seniors at our club represent around 60% of the membership.

Using better advertising within our clubhouse has seen a rise in participation in club comps since I took over the responsibility.

Both forms have there place but electronic means is not good when the requirement is that all notices must come from the club manager.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So we should return to the old days and all be there in person when some have work or other more important commitments than attending a club function. Its time to move forward and address these things in a way that includes more options like this sort of voting. Its very easy and cheap to get secure mail protection, the only issue then is the trustworthiness of the appointed club officer to check those numbers which can also be done independently by a member. If that is where it falls down then it shows an issue with the committee and not a modern process. Just my opinion and i won't change that.
I think if you feel strongly enough about something you should probably turn up in person, if it means that much to you, you will find the time. Just my opinion

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think if you feel strongly enough about something you should probably turn up in person, if it means that much to you, you will find the time. Just my opinion

I I had to be in London/Southampton with a serious work issue, it would top anything the golf club could throw up....but that is just me.... I raised the issue of live streaming the AGM, that was a little too much for the old heads, but one day eh?!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I I had to be in London/Southampton with a serious work issue, it would top anything the golf club could throw up....but that is just me.... I raised the issue of live streaming the AGM, that was a little too much for the old heads, but one day eh?!
Well unfortunately I'd take the view if your not there then thats just tough, the club doesn't revolve around any one or a small number of individuals. If you cant make it to vote on whatever then that's unfortunate but I do believe people voting on club issues should be present in person at such a meeting

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well unfortunately I'd take the view if your not there then thats just tough, the club doesn't revolve around any one or a small number of individuals. If you cant make it to vote on whatever then that's unfortunate but I do believe people voting on club issues should be present in person at such a meeting

its 2019, why do you need to be present ? surely better people who care vote if they cant attend rather than an outdated view that you need to be physically present. you can even vote at a general election without being present but not at a golf club agm? seriously?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
its 2019, why do you need to be present ? surely better people who care vote if they cant attend rather than an outdated view that you need to be physically present. you can even vote at a general election without being present but not at a golf club agm? seriously?

Probably, if you look at most clubs Articles of Association there is a minimum number of people required to be at an AGM for it to proceed. Last year we were bang on the minimum which is 30 and that is out of a membership of over 800.

IanM

Journeyman Pro

You are right.

It equally shouldn't give power to a small number of individuals who don't work and live close to the club.

As above...30 show up out of 800, Or everyone having equal opportunity to vote?

Last edited:

RangeMonkey

Visit site

But what you are effectively saying there is that the club DOES revolve around one set of people: those that can make it in person to the AGM.

Excluding people because they have work, family or other commitment isn’t a good looking thing. To my mind, it’s a part of the old fashioned, exclusive approach that puts people off the whole club experience.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
30 out of 800 sounds more like can't be bothered than can't get there.
Probably right given that committee members, prospective new committee members, directors and prospective new directors make up the majority of that 30.

I know they can be tedious but this year ours was less than hour and the incoming captain bought all present a drink.

There are some that have about 100 present but that is only when there is something of major importance on the agenda.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
AGM - on Facebook live. Now there's an idea for anyone who can't attend, post your comments as it's broadcast.

I can see the blazer brigade now! ???

IanM

Journeyman Pro
AGM - on Facebook live. Now there's an idea for anyone who can't attend, post your comments as it's broadcast.

Well, many of the old folk at Newport are pretty tech savvy, so I wouldn't rule out some version of this happening next year.

Our management are currently defining the scope of what "wouldn't" be voted "on-line" - (eg dissolution of the club) but generally it was well received. 60 ish were at the AGM and only 4 voted against bringing it in.

D

Deleted member 18588

That would be a little more acceptable as it would require the absentees to at least pay attention to any discussion rather than just voting on the basis of having already made up their minds.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At a last check 8% of our members did not have an email address and I can think of quite a few of the guys I play with who do not have a smart phone and that can probably be extrapolated out amongst the club to show that a lot of older members do not have one. Bearing in mind that like most clubs seniors at our club represent around 60% of the membership.

Using better advertising within our clubhouse has seen a rise in participation in club comps since I took over the responsibility.

Both forms have there place but electronic means is not good when the requirement is that all notices must come from the club manager.

I know a lot of our senior members that don't have smart phones and so are reliant on the PSI terminal in the club for booking into competitions. The club does send a lot of the stuff on email and I am sure there must be a reasonable percentage (8% doesn't seem excessive) and those that do I am sure barely look at them or even delete without reading. They do put most of the main messages onto the notice boards and even on tables in the bar. Hard to know what else they can do.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that the idea of live streaming the AGM is a great one. Couple that with online voting and I could take part even if I was stuck at work.