Members and information!

D

Deleted member 18588

We voted to allow on-line voting on club matters rather than have to attend the AGM this year.... will be interesting to see what that does!!

We are also an old established Members' Club and like yourselves provide info' electronically and via hard copies. It seems to work well and the vast majority are happy with it.

However, your last point is , for me, a step too far.

If a member is not prepared to forsake 2 hours once a year to attend the AGM I would question whether they are sufficiently engaged with the Club to influence decisions.

If it's impossible for someone to attend but they wish to vote they can arrange a proxy.

After all it's rather more important than Strictly Come Dancing!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We get all course and club info on emails - I think the email is sent via Howdidido as well. We also have a WhatsApp group where they tell us what comp is on that weekend, and rules changes etc, but it's optional to be in that obviously.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We are also an old established Members' Club and like yourselves provide info' electronically and via hard copies. It seems to work well and the vast majority are happy with it.

However, your last point is , for me, a step too far.

If a member is not prepared to forsake 2 hours once a year to attend the AGM I would question whether they are sufficiently engaged with the Club to influence decisions.

If it's impossible for someone to attend but they wish to vote they can arrange a proxy.

After all it's rather more important than Strictly Come Dancing!

As a member they are entitled to a vote. Online or even by writing is a good thing?

So a shift worker isn't entitled to a vote because they're working a back shift on the day of the AGM?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is always going to be a generational gap. Sadly this leads to duplication of information being passed over as some will want email, others social media and some need hard copy correspondence and notices. That is why we still have to have the option to book comps etc through the pro shop as some members just cannot get on with online booking. Most of the team notices and sign up sheets are on notice boards and that can be frustrating as I am only at the club once a week (maybe twice in summer) so often miss out on things that I would have signed up for if it was done electronically.

D

Deleted member 18588

As a member they are entitled to a vote. Online or even by writing is a good thing?

So a shift worker isn't entitled to a vote because they're working a back shift on the day of the AGM?

Proxy vote?

In any event any form of absentee voting runs the risk of voter ignorance in that they are unable to hear the arguments for and against the motion.

Also, whilst I sympathise with those who genuinely cannot attend I fear that such a concession would most likely be taken advantage of by the "can't be arsed" brigade.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
AGM's can be utter purgatory, particularly if the Chairman does not move things along. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to spend 2-3 hours of their lives at them if they are at a club where they are poor. A good Chairman usually means an AGM that gets through the dull stuff and onto the info that interests members and will get better attendence. (I have attended many an AGM in different sports at different clubs and the allure of them has definitely dimmed)

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Those that don't have email are very few but a noticeboard is still a central reference point. Both clubs of mine are very positive in keeping them clear of clutter.

Some don't have smart phones - they object because of cost maybe. Not everyone is tech averse.

Matchplay draws are on Intelligent Golf for WPGC and the winner of each match updates the draw.

We have found at Enville that WhatsApp groups are good for quick adjustments for the B Team or West Mids League team but you have to be careful not to clog it with side conversations so there are now a B Team Fixture group and a B Team Golf Chat group.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's a tricky one. We went to postal voting a year or so ago. At the AGM you were always getting the same faces and a lot of people don't understand or appreciate that as a members club they have a right to their say.
I appreciate the argument that says if you want to have a say, turn up at the AGM (or even EGM if one is called) and hear all the arguments for any changes, for or against. But that is really only for constitutional changes.
However if a member has paid their annual fee then they have as much right to vote as anyone else. I'll be honest I didn't attend the AGM's till I was first on council and continued to do so when I became Captain and Vice Captain. I still go to them as I believe it's important.
But you can place a bet on who will be standing up to make a point almost as if they feel they have to every year. Or don't like the changes that are being suggested as it is "against the tradition of the club".
There's no easy answer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a tricky one. We went to postal voting a year or so ago. At the AGM you were always getting the same faces and a lot of people don't understand or appreciate that as a members club they have a right to their say.
I appreciate the argument that says if you want to have a say, turn up at the AGM (or even EGM if one is called) and hear all the arguments for any changes, for or against. But that is really only for constitutional changes.
However if a member has paid their annual fee then they have as much right to vote as anyone else. I'll be honest I didn't attend the AGM's till I was first on council and continued to do so when I became Captain and Vice Captain. I still go to them as I believe it's important.
But you can place a bet on who will be standing up to make a point almost as if they feel they have to every year. Or don't like the changes that are being suggested as it is "against the tradition of the club".
There's no easy answer.
We have one like the highlighted point at my current club. They made the last two AGM's incredibly hard work and will undoubtedly reduce the numbers attending next year.

In terms of voting at AGM's surely the more that vote the more democratic the set up. If people are members they are entitled to a vote, whether that is in person, via mail or online. Attending an AGM does not make someone a higher ranked member.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the Zoo it's almost all done via notice boards.
We book via BRS but that's about it
We get a weekly "newsletter" emailed out which, quite frankly, is a waste of effort.
Comp info is on a sheet of A4 pinned to an oak beam in the changing room....
The Zoo is about as low tech as it gets.....:ROFLMAO:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Here are a few examples of the regular newsletter that our club sends out to members (fortnightly in the winter)
East Gen 191201
East Gen 191117
East Gen 190721
I think good communication with members is vital in this day and age, and the fact that this information is provided makes people happy that things are being done at the clb.
Our new head greenkeeper is great at keeping us updated as to what is happening on the course.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here are a few examples of the regular newsletter that our club sends out to members (fortnightly in the winter)
East Gen 191201
East Gen 191117
East Gen 190721
I think good communication with members is vital in this day and age, and the fact that this information is provided makes people happy that things are being done at the clb.
Our new head greenkeeper is great at keeping us updated as to what is happening on the course.

Out of interest, what do you pay for a years subs?

Excellent communication and a lot of work going on over winter!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
East Gen 191201
East Gen 191117
East Gen 190721
Puts the Zoo to shame.
As an example, our AGM was at the back end of September.
Unless you were there you'd have no idea what happened as there's no minutes published anywhere......
I suspect my new club will be a tad more organised...

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Who is demanding anything??

???

I think some people need to learn to read and calm down to a roar!

Notice boards have a place but they really are pretty redundant other than checking progress of matchplay competitions.
Read more at https://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/threads/members-and-information.103631/#RAvvlDBZHADTGRta.99

Reads to me that you are saying there shouldn't be notice boards except for
"Checking for progress....etc"
You could have said ,that as well as notice boards for those without internet, emails are a good way of disseminating club information..or words to that effect, but what you did say is clear to see.
You do not want notice boards to do all the things they presently do and the strong inference is there that they shouldn't be used any longer as they are now.
I just question why the two methods cannot live together, and others have also done that.
And I am quite calm thank you. I think my sentiments read nearer to " live and let live " than yours do.?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Out of interest, what do you pay for a years subs?

Excellent communication and a lot of work going on over winter!
All in with Local Golf Union fees, SGU fees, Bar levy ;), etc., about £1100 per annum.
I'm really looking forward to what the course will be like next year. Despite the misgivings of one person on this form, our new head green-keeper has been excellent appointment.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All in with Local Golf Union fees, SGU fees, Bar levy ;), etc., about £1100 per annum.
I'm really looking forward to what the course will be like next year. Despite the misgivings of one person on this form, our new head green-keeper has been excellent appointment.

I was in until you posted about the levy ;)

Seems cracking value to me (it would down here!), nice to see a club actively trying to improve and keeping members well informed

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Right, following on from the "car park golfers" thread.

I can't quite understand why clubs still require to have notice boards, or more importantly why certain people seem to be upset that notices are not read!!!

Seriously? In this day and age! I personally feel that your club is wrong if that is upsetting you.

All information should be sent out via email, I would be astounded if anyone still hasn't got access to email. Also repeat it on social media outlets.

I do give noticeboards a cursory glance but that's about it, I get all my club information via email, from course condition to entry to competitions, results, social events. I also read all emails from my club.

Notice boards have a place but they really are pretty redundant other than checking progress of matchplay competitions.
I still feel there is a need and a place for traditional notice boards, more detailed notices are easier to put up and believe it or not some folks just dont use the internet. I do obviously but I know older golfers and also older members of my family who dont really go online. Not sure I'd ever completely discontinue use of written or printed notices, theres something more personal about reading them. It's best to have both.

Wolf

Visit site
There certainly is a place for notice boards holding key information, even though we live in a digital world now there will be many groups that don't have social media or an aversion to tech that prevents them getting information that way.

I like the earlier post about members being given the option to vote on AGM matters via email, its a track able stream to get accurate numbers gives people that can't attend a chance to have input and in a modern age where we can postal vote for our government surely people can't believe that unless you attend an AGM with a club committee you should forfeit right to a say.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There certainly is a place for notice boards holding key information, even though we live in a digital world now there will be many groups that don't have social media or an aversion to tech that prevents them getting information that way.

I like the earlier post about members being given the option to vote on AGM matters via email, its a track able stream to get accurate numbers gives people that can't attend a chance to have input and in a modern age where we can postal vote for our government surely people can't believe that unless you attend an AGM with a club committee you should forfeit right to a say.
Postal voting should be done away with unless its necessary, it should be strictly policed as it's open to abuse. With regards to voting online, again no very easily abused and easy to hack into and interfere with. Club systems arent all that secure.

Wolf

Visit site
Postal voting should be done away with unless its necessary, it should be strictly policed as it's open to abuse. With regards to voting online, again no very easily abused and easy to hack into and interfere with. Club systems arent all that secure.
So we should return to the old days and all be there in person when some have work or other more important commitments than attending a club function. Its time to move forward and address these things in a way that includes more options like this sort of voting. Its very easy and cheap to get secure mail protection, the only issue then is the trustworthiness of the appointed club officer to check those numbers which can also be done independently by a member. If that is where it falls down then it shows an issue with the committee and not a modern process. Just my opinion and i won't change that.