Members and information!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Right, following on from the "car park golfers" thread.

I can't quite understand why clubs still require to have notice boards, or more importantly why certain people seem to be upset that notices are not read!!!

Seriously? In this day and age! I personally feel that your club is wrong if that is upsetting you.

All information should be sent out via email, I would be astounded if anyone still hasn't got access to email. Also repeat it on social media outlets.

I do give noticeboards a cursory glance but that's about it, I get all my club information via email, from course condition to entry to competitions, results, social events. I also read all emails from my club.

Notice boards have a place but they really are pretty redundant other than checking progress of matchplay competitions.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH we only have MP draws, roll up sheets for the Sat, sun and wed cup. and start sheets for drawn comps on the main one, resualts on another and M&N leage sign up on another. we get a weekly email with news and anything important is on the starters hut window.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree totally with the OP. It comes down to how modern the people in charge are, how willing they are to embrace new methods of communication, how willing they are to accept that communication has moved on. The concept of the notice board being the key source of information is very outdated now.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Hmmm, I've thought this for a while but whilst away last weekend i said something similar to someone (on a different subject) and the reply was basically, look around you, do you really think these ahem, older people, all have e mail and use the 'net?

How many older people have you at your place?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know lots of people who treat email like junk mail and don't read it or read and forget.
Notice boards are very useful for starting sheets, handicap lists results or anything that requires a lot of data on one sheet.
A lot of emails are read on small screens which are just not suited to that kind of information.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our club is really very good at sending out information by email as well as general use of social media.
In the Summer there is a weekly "East Gen" (fortnightly in the Winter) which provides regular updates to members on what is going on around the club, updates on the course, etc. It's a really good document. Competition entry can be done online and draws are sent out via email although a hard copy is still put up in the club.

But.... There are some older members who are still not really into electronic communication and still like the idea of having stuff up on the board. No harm in that.
Also our knockout draws are on the boards and to be honest I still prefer that as it is easier to read and covers every round, from preliminary to final. Copies of the handicap list are on board as are all the medal results and order of merit. Yes, they're available electronically but if I'm in the club it's nice to be able to see it whilst I'm in the changing rooms.

So I think there is a case for both to be honest. Not everybody reads emails, not everybody reads the notices boards so covering all options is the best. We do also have poster slots on the doors in the clubhouse for upcoming events and also over the urinals in the gents (which are probably the most read :LOL:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

We still have members that don’t have email and many who don’t use social media - again you need to stop judging everyone based on you

You need to cater for the “whole” membership and not just some

They aren’t redundant and people really do need to understand there is a broad wide spectrum of people who play the game.

D

Deleted member 16999

Right, following on from the "car park golfers" thread.

I can't quite understand why clubs still require to have notice boards, or more importantly why certain people seem to be upset that notices are not read!!!

Seriously? In this day and age! I personally feel that your club is wrong if that is upsetting you.

All information should be sent out via email, I would be astounded if anyone still hasn't got access to email. Also repeat it on social media outlets.

I do give noticeboards a cursory glance but that's about it, I get all my club information via email, from course condition to entry to competitions, results, social events. I also read all emails from my club.

Notice boards have a place but they really are pretty redundant other than checking progress of matchplay competitions.
It’s a combination of all, email, social media and notices, but you’ll still get members claiming they don’t know what’s going on.
We still have members with no access or interest in the internet, email or social media alone is no good.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't think last time I looked on a notice board for information - I can get everything I need form our Emails and Website. But we still have stuff posted up and hard copies of important stuff in the clubhouse bar/lounge areas.

That said - I still haven't got used to entering comps on-line - and so often miss a comp I intended to play in. Just over the decades got so very used to going into the clubhouse and seeing Comp Entry sheets up on the wall and very visible.

User20204

Visit site
Until the dinosaurs die off our notice board will be active.

I think my clubs use of social media is still in the dark ages despite having it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What do these notice boards look like?

I’m probably wrong but imagining some 4’x2’ board cluttered with an assortment of old/obsolete/out of date, torn and scrawled on notices of varying size/shape etc sitting along with the new stuff that people are supposed to notice

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
What do these notice boards look like?

I’m probably wrong but imagining some 4’x2’ board cluttered with an assortment of old/obsolete/out of date, torn and scrawled on notices of varying size/shape etc sitting along with the new stuff that people are supposed to notice
We have a number around, various sizes, which are regularly updated and old stuff taken down so it's always current. Wooden frame, blue felt on cork, notices held in place by coloured pins.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
To play at our course, as with most, you need to book via BRS, electronic device needed. The Seniors section organise themselves via a Whatsapp group. No one will not have access to email, FB etc

I accept there will still be pockets of people with no online presence whatsoever at clubs, I am not suggesting that clubs should tear down their notice boards, but those numbers must be getting smaller every year. Surely club email and FB will reach far more members than a noticeboard in this era.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
See my note in the other thread about how to get people to read emails! ;)

Our club send a weekly email with info about the upcoming weekend comp or event/any social stuff on the horizon. This is also on the Club Website and Social Media pages. (and there are notice boards in the lobby that you have to pass to get to the "Comp Computer" and loos!

And this is an old school members' club, where the average age is 56. So it can be done.

We (normally) have no starting times, you report to the Pro Shop when you "game" are all there and you are given the next available or later if you ask. Works well.... no online mass booking and fail to show up! Guys I play with have a WhatsApps Group so we know who is coming along.

We voted to allow on-line voting on club matters rather than have to attend the AGM this year.... will be interesting to see what that does!!

D

Deleted member 18588

Hmmm, I've thought this for a while but whilst away last weekend i said something similar to someone (on a different subject) and the reply was basically, look around you, do you really think these ahem, older people, all have e mail and use the 'net?

How many older people have you at your place?

Strange as the biggest problem we find are the juniors and younger members i.e. under 30's.

They are not interested in emails, FB, Twitter etc; and don't bother with the notice boards.

The 30 and 40 somethings all seem to rely upon social media as they think that makes them "in touch".

The rest of us just use whatever is available, email or noticeboard

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
We still have members that don’t have email and many who don’t use social media - again you need to stop judging everyone based on you

You need to cater for the “whole” membership and not just some

They aren’t redundant and people really do need to understand there is a broad wide spectrum of people who play the game.

Exactly.

Why is it that some people have to Polarise things. Now , we are demanding it is done "my" way , on situations and things that are not at all critical or harmful.
It is one thing to say " I prefer to do something this way" , quite another to say " I want you to do it this way."
When it is a vital matter, or it prevents someone being hurt or unfairly disadvantaged, then by all means it is right to say that something should be done this way and not that way. But otherwise, tolerance is key.
It has been said,
The problem with the human race is not failing to know the difference between
right and wrong, but failing to know the difference between different and wrong."

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
See my note in the other thread about how to get people to read emails! ;)

Our club send a weekly email with info about the upcoming weekend comp or event/any social stuff on the horizon. This is also on the Club Website and Social Media pages. (and there are notice boards in the lobby that you have to pass to get to the "Comp Computer" and loos!

And this is an old school members' club, where the average age is 56. So it can be done.

We (normally) have no starting times, you report to the Pro Shop when you "game" are all there and you are given the next available or later if you ask. Works well.... no online mass booking and fail to show up! Guys I play with have a WhatsApps Group so we know who is coming along.

We voted to allow on-line voting on club matters rather than have to attend the AGM this year.... will be interesting to see what that does!!

For the duration of the 'off-season' we have a Saturday morning starting sheet in the clubhouse. It is there from first thing Saturday morning and runs until about 1pm (I think). Members can only put their own name down - names of others can be put down but the others have to be present in the clubhouse.

We are doing this as an alternative to the ball chute by the 1st tee so we don't have to hang around in the cold and wet. Seems to work fine.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Exactly.

Why is it that some people have to Polarise things. Now , we are demanding it is done "my" way , on situations and things that are not at all critical or harmful.
It is one thing to say " I prefer to do something this way" , quite another to say " I want you to do it this way."
When it is a vital matter, or it prevents someone being hurt or unfairly disadvantaged, then by all means it is right to say that something should be done this way and not that way. But otherwise, tolerance is key.
It has been said,
The problem with the human race is not failing to know the difference between
right and wrong, but failing to know the difference between different and wrong."

Who is demanding anything??

???

I think some people need to learn to read and calm down to a roar!