Matsuyama Disqualified

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/61678484

bottom line his club face was tamperered with, it says you can have a small “ sharpie” mark on the face to help with alignment but his was a substance all over the club face and grooves etc.
Where exactly is the line crossed when it comes to altering a club that it becomes illegal.
Very suprised a player of his calibre would need anything like this or in fact his club supplier did something illegal.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
would like to see a picture of his club face.

Capture.JPG

Paint etc in the groove = OK
Paint on face = not OK

(I'm not saying the material is actually paint but whatever it was i.e tippex etc its not ok for the substance to be on a surface that could come into contact with the ball)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it was black on black then no one would know it was there. Equally, would the golfer be able to see it? No use as an aid if you can't see it ?‍♂️

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
What feedback was it giving him on the practise ground?
I've just noticed I've got 4 white sticker dots on my driver from a lesson last week, would that be a disqualification in a competition?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
What feedback was it giving him on the practise ground?
I've just noticed I've got 4 white sticker dots on my driver from a lesson last week, would that be a disqualification in a competition?

I believe that makes your club non conforming and you would be disqualified if it was seen and reported.

I always remove them from my irons before a comp, just in case.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On a slight tangent, yesterday a lad in the society claimed someone’s putter was illegal as he’d put a black alignment line on the top of it ?
This is the it I don’t understand. Taylormade do putters by the million with Factory painted lines. The PGA guy says a small sharpie line is ok. But Matsuyamas was over the top. I wonder where the line should be drawn ( pardon the pun) where it becomes illegal.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is the it I don’t understand. Taylormade do putters by the million with Factory painted lines. The PGA guy says a small sharpie line is ok. But Matsuyamas was over the top. I wonder where the line should be drawn ( pardon the pun) where it becomes illegal.
The sticker dots were on the face. The black mark was on the top

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And yet you can add a sharpie line to a ball and draw all sorts of weird marks ,but not put it on the clubface.
That looks like my three year old grandson has done it.
Putting things on the clubface is a basic no no .
All golfers should know that.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that grooves increase spin, and therefore painting in the grooves reduces spin thus increasing distance? Either he’s very stupid, or hoping to get away with something, which would surprise me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that grooves increase spin, and therefore painting in the grooves reduces spin thus increasing distance? Either he’s very stupid, or hoping to get away with something, which would surprise me.
You are correct.
But you do need some spin to get the ball airborne.
Imo he’s done that as an alignment aid rather than a spin or performance thing.
Stupid boy, given the equipment avaliable to them just get a professional who knows what he’s doing to do it in the tour van.