Matsuyama Disqualified

D

Deleted member 3432

Additional thought....wonder why they didn't DQ him after the round to avoid the disruption to his playing partners?

Could have stopped him using the club before the round seeing as the pics have been on view since at least Tuesday and he appears to have been grassed up from the GolfWRX instagram pics....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You are correct.
But you do need some spin to get the ball airborne.
Imo he’s done that as an alignment aid rather than a spin or performance thing.
Stupid boy, given the equipment avaliable to them just get a professional who knows what he’s doing to do it in the tour van.
How does markings on the face help with alignment? If it was on the top I'd understand but you can't see the face of the driver when you address the ball ?‍♂️.

I'm not disputing what you say, others are saying the same, but I'm just not seeing it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does markings on the face help with alignment? If it was on the top I'd understand but you can't see the face of the driver when you address the ball ?‍♂️.

I'm not disputing what you say, others are saying the same, but I'm just not seeing it.
Imo that dosnt look like a driver it looks more like a 3 wood.
So with more loft you can see the lines.
It looks like he has blackened the face to make the white lines stand out more.
The way the marking are you use these to frame the ball in the sweet spot.
Probably dosnt make much difference, but if it helps him it’s worth it but you can’t take that to the course in a comp.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imo that dosnt look like a driver it looks more like a 3 wood.
So with more loft you can see the lines.
It looks like he has blackened the face to make the white lines stand out more.
The way the marking are you use these to frame the ball in the sweet spot.
Probably dosnt make much difference, but if it helps him it’s worth it but you can’t take that to the course in a comp.
Sorry, you are absolutely correct about it being a 3 wood. At that point, yes, you can frame the ball and club. It all becomes clear now ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, you are absolutely correct about it being a 3 wood. At that point, yes, you can frame the ball and club. It all becomes clear now ?
Yes I have just read the article on op.
Fairway wood with correction fluid in the grooves how silly of him.
The pros practice so much he has probably just worn the original finish off.
Not trying to gain any advantage imo ,just a stupid mistake.
We all make them, but at that level ???

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If he'd been a TM staff player they probably would've painted the pattern on the face during production for him and it'd be street legal

Jason.H

Visit site
Yes I have just read the article on op.
Fairway wood with correction fluid in the grooves how silly of him.
The pros practice so much he has probably just worn the original finish off.
Not trying to gain any advantage imo ,just a stupid mistake.
We all make them, but at that level ???

Maybe he thought the correction fluid would correct a slice or hook?

brickie

Medal Winner
Visit site
What were his "club guy" and caddie thinking of? One of my gripes about caddies is that they spend vast amounts of time in hotel rooms and on flights. They should know more about the rules of golf than anybody, if only to protect their employer from these foibles of golf.
Surely a simple question to a rules official before the round would clear any doubts

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What were his "club guy" and caddie thinking of? One of my gripes about caddies is that they spend vast amounts of time in hotel rooms and on flights. They should know more about the rules of golf than anybody, if only to protect their employer from these foibles of golf.
Surely a simple question to a rules official before the round would clear any doubts
To me that looks like it hasn’t been used.
Your right the first thing the caddie should say when he gives him the club on the first tee, after checking it was nice and clean.
Is “ what the hells that” .? “are you sure “?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Maxfli Roberto de Vincenzo driver and 3-wood.
Dunlop Peter Thomson 4-wood and 5-wood.
Is there any question regard to these?
If so, how could I make them legal?

001.JPG

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

View attachment 42895
Nothing applied post-production as far as I can see so clubs would have been tested at design and development phase for their compliance…and so compliant.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What about this Peter Thomson driver currently on sale on ebay?
Black paint has been applied to the maroon and white face, leaving only a bit of the original white paint showing through.
Really crap and unnecessary attempt at restoration or improvement.
Has it been rendered illegal?

PT driver.jpg

Not that I'm considering buying. It would cost me twice as much as I paid for all 4 clubs above.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Black paint has been applied to the maroon and white face, leaving only a bit of the original white paint showing through.

View attachment 42896
I’d not want to use it. Who’s to know whether or not the innocent looking black paint has special ‘grip’ or ‘water repellent’ properties.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 42896
Given the DQ for Matsuyama I would say yes.
Unless there is a clause somewhere that certain age clubs can be maintained to stop damage/ water ingress etc

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

View attachment 42895

This question comes up often in the vintage golf community, as far as I know (and rules officials may be able to correct me):
For elite competitions clubs must be on the compliant list.
For the rest of us, clubs before a certain date (which I can't remember but is something like 1990) are okay for play. General maintenance of clubs would not make them illegal as this was normal practice so sanding and re-varnishing, even painting for cosmetic or protective purposes is fine.
However, treatments to the face to improve performance would not be allowed for clubs of any age.

The same goes for vintage irons, nobody is going to stump up the money to get them on the approved list but the fact that they're so old makes it very unlikely that they'd fall foul of the rules on technology, although face markings on some are illegal. Illegal faces include grooves that aren't parallel and punch dot faces where the dots don't comply with the rules on spacing.

Although now I've written that I'm not sure if it was just a proposal or if it's actually been formalised!

My own feeling is, that if someone wants to pull me up on playing 40, 50 or more year old clubs then I'd just point at there modern rocket launchers and ask who is getting the most help from their clubs?