Matchplay semi final tomorrow-Almost beaten before I start!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Semi final for high handicappers tomorrow and whilst a positive person I am also a realist.

Playing a guy who played perhaps 10 years ago and played off 6/7. However he never declared his old handicap and was given 18. I know he should have so that is NOT THE ISSUE. He has come down from 18 to 15 although has not played many comps. Last week he play a 9 Hotel qualifier and had 5 pars and 4 bogeys, played to 8. The previous matches he has won with ease.

Realise I have nothing to lose but not sure what strategy to use. He will be giving me 5 shots.

Really want to win. (Stupid comment I know)

Any ideas and I will enjoy whatever the result?

D

Deleted member 1147

Keep it in play (avoid 3 off the tee😉) & make him beat you.
Don’t feel the need to change your game to beat him, see it as though having shots you hold the advantage.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just play golf. Sounds like you're getting his ability and handicap in your head. Hit it, find it and hit it again. Use your shots wisely and just relax. Not sure you can really have a strategy in matchplay as to a degree you're reliant on what the opponent does

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Do what you did that got you into the semi. Play your golf, not his. Think about your game, not his. You know what gets you round the course well, so do that. Play the course well and you will give him a fright. If you start thinking about what he will do, you aren’t thinking what you should.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the 9 holer he had 4 bogeys. He’s giving you 5 shots. He can be beaten.

He should be beaten.

Use this as motivation. Don’t get angry, whatever he does, just be determined. He can be beaten. Every handicap golfer can beat another on their day. Make it your day, just don’t write your victory post before you’ve shaken hands, every time you tee it up win the hole. If you lose or halve a shot hole don’t worry, people put too much stock in that, you can win any hole.

Beat him into the ground on every hole and don’t think about telling us until you’ve got it done. Stay present and focussed. Give him hell

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great pointers there guys. Cheers. Like that bit about writing victory speech curls.

My main problem is whilst straight, not long, 170 yards off the tee.

He is a bit of a drinker. He is 20 stone plus and can drink 20 pints a night. Hope he has a few scoops tonight!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Probably too late with advice but try to embrace the situation with his handicap and wear something like this:

png-mexican-hat-cartoon-mexican-hat-png-ai-260.jpg

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you have to declare 10 year old handicaps? What is the cut off?

How did you know it used to be that low, who gave him 18 and why.

Before we judge this person we should hear some more facts.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just play your game and don't worry what they do.

and remember its not over till you shake hands anything can happen in match play

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you have to declare 10 year old handicaps? What is the cut off?

How did you know it used to be that low, who gave him 18 and why.

Before we judge this person we should hear some more facts.
What do you need to know

He used to play at our Golf Club. Fellow members who I know have said he used to play off 6/7. When you rejoin the form asks whether you have played anywhere else and if so what was your handicap.He forgot to complete all the information! He submitted 3 cards.

Hope that clarifies the situation for you but if you care to read the initial post tha was not the issue

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No doubt you won't see this now, but what others have said - keep it in play.

I'm amazed at matchplay where I take conservative decisions to ensure I will give myself at least a putt for a par or net par that I don't do nearly as often in strokeplay.

If you were to play to your handicap with 15 net pars and net birdies - and 3 bad holes, then that will win most amateur matchplay matches.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well beaten 5 and 4 by a much better player. His short game was superb, nailed 5 putts from 10 feet. He was level par for the 5 holes we played on the back 9. Thoroughly deserved victory for my opponent.

I was wrong in my original post when I said he used to play off 6/7. It was 5!

D

Deleted member 15344

You don't "forget" playing off 5.
Depends on how long they were out for

We had someone who was off 4 , left and went abroad for 7/8 years - came back 2 years ago and was given 12 with his cards and has stayed around there

It all depends on how long someone was out for , how long they were off 5 for and what the strengths of their game is