Matchplay, how does it work?

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right then Lords and Ladies.

Myself and a mate have entered our clubs Winter League as a team this season. It's our first season as members so we are not fully au fait with rules and formats of all competitions.

I have been told that it's matchplay with 3/4 handicap difference.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what is matchplay and how it'll work when it's me and him versus him and him?

We play off 22 and 24 respectively.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does matchplay work? Usually with my losing :(

But that doesn't really answer your question which I assume is about the handicapping for 4 ball better ball matchplay. Take the lowest of the 4 handicaps and work out the difference between that and the handicap of each of the other players. The lowest handicapper receives no strokes; the other 3 receive 3/4 of the difference between the lowest and their own.

For example if the lowest handicap was 18, the 22 handicapper's difference is 4 so he receives 3 strokes and so on. The strokes are taken according to the stroke index.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can anyone explain to me exactly what is matchplay and how it'll work when it's me and him versus him and him?

1. each hole is decided by the best net score from each team - if equal the hole is halved
2. to establish the net score, anyone who has 'a shot' at the hole based on SI and strokes received deducts that shot from his gross score.
3. strokes are calculated from the lowest individual in the match (whether they are actually present or not but that's another thing!) and each of the other players (on both sides) simply takes 3/4 of the difference between their handicap and the lowest players and rounds the result to the nearest whole number (0.5 is rounded up).

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks guys.

So say for instance I am 18 handicap and I'm playing a scratch player. Do I still get a shot on each hole or do I only get a shot on 14 holes? Therefore making it difficult for me to achieve a good score on 4 holes?

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Singles matchplay would usually be played on full difference, not 3/4 so you would get the full 18 strokes.

Last edited:

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Singles matchplay would usually be played on full difference, not 3/4 so you would get the full 18 strokes.

But it's not singles Matchplay. We are a team and as I said in the OP it is 3/4 difference, just trying to figure this thing out before I get into the league and muck it right up for myself and pal.

Lets try and get this right, it's better ball nett score. So if my nett score is lower than partners my score counts. But I don't understand how the shots work. If I get 24 shots as a 24 handicapper am I penalised when playing 3/4 handicap?

Last edited:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lets try and get this right, it's better ball nett score. So if my nett score is lower than partners my score counts. But I don't understand how the shots work. If I get 24 shots as a 24 handicapper am I penalised when playing 3/4 handicap?

No you are not penalised as there are two of you that can score on each hole in this format. Off 24 you will receive 18 shots playing a scratch golfer and 6 shots playing against a pair with someone off 15, bearing in mind that the guy off 15 gets no shots now.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No you are not penalised as there are two of you that can score on each hole in this format. Off 24 you will receive 18 shots playing a scratch golfer and 6 shots playing against a pair with someone off 15, bearing in mind that the guy off 15 gets no shots now.

OK so we get 6 shots playing against a pair, surely this leaves us at a disadvantage as the guy that plays off scratch in effect plays to his full handicap while we only get 6 shots?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes the 3/4 difference does slightly favour the lower handicappers it used to be the same in singles but has now changed to full difference.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Chris said you'd only get 6 shots if you were playing against a pair with the lowest handicap of 15.

You'll have 4 handicaps in the group. You, your partner and both of your opponents.
You see which is the lowest of the 4. He gets no shots.
For each of the others, they get 3/4 of the difference between their handicap and the lowest handicap.

Example:

A = 10
B = 17
C = 22
D = 24

Lowest is 10, so A receives no shots.
B receives 5 shots (3/4 * (17-10))
C receives 9 shots (3/4 * (22-10))
D receives 11 shots (3/4 * (24-10))

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK so we get 6 shots playing against a pair, surely this leaves us at a disadvantage as the guy that plays off scratch in effect plays to his full handicap while we only get 6 shots?

How many scratch golfers compared to golfers with handicaps of say 12 will you play against?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
But it's not singles Matchplay. We are a team and as I said in the OP it is 3/4 difference, just trying to figure this thing out before I get into the league and muck it right up for myself and pal.

Your OP was about 4 ball better ball matchplay - which Duncan and I have explained** so go by that for your match with your partner.

When you then mentioned "say for instance I am 18 handicap and I'm playing a scratch player..." you seemed rather clearly to be referring to a singles match, so my answer refers to that situation.

As Chris says, the 3/4 difference is intended to allow for the effects of the better ball situation. You should bear in mind that if your scratch player's partner is not also off scratch, he too will get strokes.

** and others while I was writing!

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

you seem to have understood it fine now.

and yes, this format (and only this format) currently has a handicap advantage to the lower handicap players - 90% is apparently under consideration as an allowance and some other handicapping unions have already gone to 100% without issue (but with the usual gripes).

there really aren't any arithmetic arguments why it shouldn't be the case in pairs, consider the case of 2 scratch players playing 2 x 18 handicappers; the former are as likely to have a gross birdie as the latter are to have a nett one between them.

but, it's 3/4 now - the end.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got it guys thanks. Sorry for any confusion.

So everyone comes from the lowest whether they are a team mate or not.

On Region3's example does player A receive their ten shots as usual and then player D would receive 21 shots?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got it guys thanks. Sorry for any confusion.

So everyone comes from the lowest whether they are a team mate or not.

On Region3's example does player A receive their ten shots as usual and then player D would receive 21 shots?

On my example, if those 4 players were playing fourball matchplay (regardless of who was playing with who), A gets 0, B gets 5, C gets 9 and D gets 11.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Gentlemen I now have it. I thank you very much for your patience and answers.

In my first match there will be a 18 handicapper (lowest) and I am 24. I will get a shot on holes 1-5 and he will get none. If my team gets the lowest net score we win the hole.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

In my first match there will be a 18 handicapper (lowest) and I am 24. I will get a shot on holes 1-5 and he will get none. If my team gets the lowest net score we win the hole.

what about the other 2 players ???

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

Your partner off 22 will get 3 shots too and your oppos partner 3/4 of difference

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Just to clarify something.
You won't get a shot on holes 1-5. You'll get your shots on STROKE INDEX holes 1-5.