Foursomes Advice

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Now now. I'm not being rude.

Round 1 of the Winter League for me and the youth on Sunday, and it's Foursomes, which is not something I can say I've played a right lot of.

The lad is 12, and is going through a dip in form, so we're planning on having him tee off on the holes where we'll get shots, and would be unlikley to make a GIR anyway, but aside from that, anybody got any advice on how to approach the game? Already sensing that there's added pressure on us to both hit good shots everytime which obviously won't be the case.

It'll be Stableford Scoring btw, so I guess that takes some of the pressure away, as the last Winter League I played in was matchplay.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now now. I'm not being rude.

Round 1 of the Winter League for me and the youth on Sunday, and it's Foursomes, which is not something I can say I've played a right lot of.

The lad is 12, and is going through a dip in form, so we're planning on having him tee off on the holes where we'll get shots, and would be unlikley to make a GIR anyway, but aside from that, anybody got any advice on how to approach the game? Already sensing that there's added pressure on us to both hit good shots everytime which obviously won't be the case.

It'll be Stableford Scoring btw, so I guess that takes some of the pressure away, as the last Winter League I played in was matchplay.
You probably won't have much choice. You each tee off on alternative holes in Foursomes (and then play alternate shots).

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
You probably won't have much choice. You each tee off on alternative holes in Foursomes (and then play alternate shots).

Have a look at the card and see where he gets most shots, odds or evens, or which half is the harder, or has his most troublesome holes. For instance, at ours, stroke index 1 & 2 are both long holes, two of the 3 par 5's and 3 of the 4 par 3's all fall in the odds, along with the tricky 17 and the drivable par 4 3rd. Generally, the better player takes the odds.

Foursomes is a fun but tough format, you're both going to have bad shots, putting the onus on your partner to recover. As has been said, don't get upset at your partner, agree beforehand that there's no apologies needed, and just enjoy playing as a team.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Make an agreement that you do not apologise to your partner if you play a poor shot.

Do you ever apologise to yourself for poor shots?

Blame yourself or curse yourself, but apologies are a waste of time. They invite a response like, "Never mind" which is polite but untruthful.
Simply agree to get on with it whatever happens and encourage each other.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
At our place there is a real choice to make....all 5 par 3's are even numbered holes and the two highest index holes, along with all three par 5's are odd numbered holes.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It is recommended that the odds are assigned to the front nine so that doesn't work. If the better player takes the first hole he can't take the second hole.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you're saying there? Do you mean the odds on the stroke index? I was referring to the odds/ evens on hole numbers, i.e. in 4somes, you play alternative tee shots, so that you will play odd or even tee numbers.

I was referring to our track for the example, that I gave. I appreciate that not all courses are the same, but to look at his card and see which set offered the best option for his son.

D

Deleted member 1147

I normally find that the easy/difficult tee shots and approaches vary between odds and evens. So just toss a coin on the first to see who plays when.

Main advice is to never apologise. As we all hit bad shots and make mistakes. Unless you hit a bad shot on purpose, in which case why are you playing!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you're saying there? Do you mean the odds on the stroke index? I was referring to the odds/ evens on hole numbers, i.e. in 4somes, you play alternative tee shots, so that you will play odd or even tee numbers.

I was referring to our track for the example, that I gave. I appreciate that not all courses are the same, but to look at his card and see which set offered the best option for his son.
Sorry, misunderstanding.
I was originally referring to SIs where the OP said "planning on having him tee off on the holes where we'll get shots,". I assumed you were also.

RichA

Visit site
I'm playing in a foursomes comp tomorrow, but it's strokeplay. My partner is low single figures HI and I'm high teens.
My view is that I should take the even holes, which are largely longer and lower SI but have easier tee shots. It should leave him with the difficult approach shot, me with a chip and him making the first putt. It also gives him the tee shot on 3 of the 4 par 3s, none of which are easy.
More importantly, he has to tee off on the first when there will be an audience.
He disagrees, funnily enough.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my foursomes pair, we each went through what our least favourite tee shots were, and luckily more of my least favourites were on odd holes, and some of his least favourites were the even ones, so it made sense for me to tee off the even holes. That way we'd each have more tee shots were comfortable with across the round. Aside from that the only thing we said was there is no need to apologise for any bad shots, we just deal with the next one. It's more important (for me anyway) to relax and enjoy the game and let the result take care of itself.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In my foursomes pair, we each went through what our least favourite tee shots were, and luckily more of my least favourites were on odd holes, and some of his least favourites were the even ones, so it made sense for me to tee off the even holes. That way we'd each have more tee shots were comfortable with across the round. Aside from that the only thing we said was there is no need to apologise for any bad shots, we just deal with the next one. It's more important (for me anyway) to relax and enjoy the game and let the result take care of itself.
Same here, my playing partner and I both have a hole that doesn't suite our eye off the tee so the other takes that shot. We are both pretty low handicaps though and this format suits us, more that it would say less consistent.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same here, my playing partner and I both have a hole that doesn't suite our eye off the tee so the other takes that shot. We are both pretty low handicaps though and this format suits us, more that it would say less consistent.
I quite it enjoy it too, because while I'm not a good player, I do hit it fairly straight and don't lose many balls, so usually not putting my partner in the worst positions. Plus my partner's long game is better than mine, so it's nice to be able to play some approach shots from a bit closer the green than usual. He enjoys it because his short game is cack, so when he misses a green in foursomes he doesn't have to chip. :D

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also think about the second shot. It's all very well having a good drive but it's not so good if the second presents the next player with bunkers or a PA in their target area.
Remember, poorer players are more likely to plop the ball in the water if their target is just beyond the problem.

A long par 3 presents a putting chance only if the longer player can reach it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In foursomes for me it's the tee shot that is most likely to stress. You'll know (or ask him) the holes your lad will fret a bit more about so if you can avoid him playing as many of these as possible. Also as he's a lad he may be overly self-conscious about teeing off being watched by others - then maybe don't have him tee off the 1st. Otherwise go with how you feel.

Last edited:

CountLippe

Visit site
First I have a look at the hard par 3's. Whoever has the best short game should play 2nd. If there is no clear advantage here, then look at the tough tee shots.

An alternative, if you know which order your opponents will be playing, is to base it on this. You will be spending a lot of time in the company of the player who shares your tee shots and if one of you is particularly uncomfortable / intimidated (or vice versa) in the company of one, play in a different order.

Mentally its hard. You can often go 5-10 holes without having a putt!