Matchplay allowances - who knows

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We play a lot of 4BBB matches & have always calculated the strokes given by taking 90% of the difference between the highest & lowest course handicaps. Under the WHS it appears that you should do it by calculating each players' playing handicap first as 90% of their course handicap, then take strokes from the lowest playing handicap. In certain circumstances this will give a different result.

Not sure if this has been discussed already on the forum but it was news to me & a lot of my fellow golfers.

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interestingly the rules of our 4BBB knockout went out as get course handicaps then 90% of the difference, then it was pointed out it is has changed but has some matched had already been played we agreed to keep it 90% of diff this year. It does work out the same for a lot but as you say there are differences sometimes.
Next year we will use the recommended way

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a 4 Ball Better Ball match play each player checks their

Handicap Index , converts this to their Course Handicap then converts this to their Playing Handicap (90% of Course Handicap).

Each player, as appropriate, gets the difference between their Playing Handicap and the player with lowest Playing Handicap.

In Singles match play Playing Handicap = Course Handicap

The highest handicapped player gets 100% of the difference between their Playing Handicaps.

Ref Rules of Handicapping Appendix C

NearHull

Visit site
I do seem to spend an awful lot of time trying to convince ‘experienced’ players that it is HI to CH then take 90% then compare PH to take full difference. I think I should get it recorded on my phone to play to golfers with a supposedly ‘superior knowledge’.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here’s one:

4BBB being 90%, what’s the score if one of the opponents cannot play? My partner is the lowest HC so we are taking shots from him but would the single opponent get a different percentage?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here’s one:

4BBB being 90%, what’s the score if one of the opponents cannot play? My partner is the lowest HC so we are taking shots from him but would the single opponent get a different percentage?

The allowance is always based upon in the lowest handicap player in a match even if that player does not play. A player without their partner gets not any additional allowance for that fact.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was told yesterday there was a bit of a contretemps between our players who use the rule correctly at an away club match where they did not.