Match play gamesmanship

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
To politely put it, it’s not in the spirit of the game is it. Personally, if I saw their name on the team sheet again. I’d be asking them to identify their ball on the first, asking how many strokes they’ve had on each green before they putt and making them hole everything. all of which you are perfectly entitled to do.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On info given, it's practically impossible to know whether gamesmanship is going on or not. All you can do is tell your team to check the ball - every time.

If in future it were to transpire that the oppo' are standing next to your ball rather than their own, simply ask them why. Every time.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
All sounds pretty off and unsporting. Unfortunately no rules broken and reporting them will give them just what they want, a bit of a rise out of you. Just put it down to experience and make sure you beat them next time!

JayB

Visit site
Definitely unsporting and while mistakes can happen, get distracted or whatever, I am a little surprised that a player doesn't check the ball as a matter of habit every time they approach it.

The only thing I would suggest is use coloured balls if you play them again, make it blindingly obvious if it's your ball or not.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
but we’ve had a couple of instances where an opponent has deliberately stood right next to our lady’s ball, thus encouraging our player to hit the wrong ball, then immediately declaring penalty, wrong ball, loss of hole.
How often is this happening? Are the same teams/clubs/players involved each time?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
How often is this happening? Are the same teams/clubs/players involved each time?

Was just going to ask this. Once played against a team whose captain had told them they weren't to give gimmees. Had to hole out even when half an inch from the hole. Another one tried standing behind me on the tee box!

C7usk

Visit site
Because as soon as our lady taken their shot, the opponent said straightaway that they had hit the wrong ball, without looking at the ball they were stood next to.
I know it’s not breaking any rules, it just makes me wonder why some people can be such a£2oles…
Hi Rosie, that to me is bang out of order... Its obvious they know what they are doing as they have called foul as soon as your team have hit the wrong ball...maybe I am being naive but if I seen an opponent about to do something like that I would tell them before they do it... I'd rather 'lose' a game than win by underhand tactics... Am sure you'll have your team well drilled to not fall for it again. Good luck.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'm sure it's deliberate, I have seem similar. I politely laughed and mentioned I had some yellow balls of same make in the bag, I can swap if they were "having identification issues." My playing partner who was twice my size said something less "sociable!"

Don't rise to it, but make sure they know you know it's deliberate. Maybe that club needs to be having a fixture removed from the calendar?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It has happened to me. Many years ago. Royal Birkdale playing foursomes stableford comp. Can‘t recall the hole but a blind tee shot with a marker post. Both pairs hit up and over. Other pair walks to one ball and stands fairly close to it. We walk to other and without checking ball we assume it is ours and play it. Other pair call that we’ve played their ball. Hmmm…they could have told us before we played their ball 🤬.

But in my case as not matchplay I don’t think it was deliberate, just thoughtless by both pairs, and careless by ourselves.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty much all of the unpleasantness that gets posted on this forum about incidents in golf occur in matchplay in one form or another. I know some people enjoy the needle of it but reading the posts I'm happy to give it a wide berth.

Reading this thread, it sounds very deliberate, they are clearly a desperate to win and sorry bunch.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Pretty much all of the unpleasantness that gets posted on this forum about incidents in golf occur in matchplay in one form or another. I know some people enjoy the needle of it but reading the posts I'm happy to give it a wide berth.

Reading this thread, it sounds very deliberate, they are clearly a desperate to win and sorry bunch.
Usually because people don’t know the rules. Often, some very basic rules.

Some people, like those the OP is describing do so because they know lots of people will fall for it and not question their actions.

It’s a bit naughty, but ultimately a player has a responsibility to know which ball they are hitting.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to my club’s website, I have now played 27 matches for the club’s senior team … but I cannot once recall anything of this ilk. The guys we have played have always been very sociable and all the matches played in a good spirit. They are all friendlies though. Perhaps we seniors are just happy to be able to still get round a golf course.

D

Deleted member 31467

Sounds to me that it is clearly deliberate if they are calling you out as soon as you hit the ball.

I would question their behaviour, ask them why they didn't say something before watching you play. I'd ask them how desperate they are to win. I'd also ask if their team mates would be proud of their behaviour.

Yes it is the players responsibility to identify their own ball but it is an easy mistake to make, I've seen it happen many times but never seen someone do what the OP witnessed.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Consider having a word to their club captain. It’s way out of order. I’d be mortified if I was captain of that club. I’m mortified for the people involved tbh

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

In five years I've only had one slightly unsavoury incident in a match. Usually I find it an enjoyable format and a great way to meet other members in the club. I think it's very rare to see obvious gamesmanship as mentioned here.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Find it hard to understand the mentality of someone doing that. I love our team matches, they're competitive and I always want to win but they're fun and opponents become friends.

I'm not against "gamesmanship" per se but prefer something a bit more subtle. ;)
Like.."mind that ditch" or "OB all down the right side here" or " Jeez that's a big tree"... ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I didn't do this deliberately (honest guv) but with hindsight I thought "That was a bit nasty".....

I had the honour and teed off on a (very) tight treelined hole. My partner commented it was "fine" and I replied "Ach it's not great but at least it's not in the trees". Opponent hooked it into the trees... :whistle:
Witch! o_O :ROFLMAO::love: