Masters postponed

Wolf

Visit site
Fair decision in all honesty what with the amount of spectactors, travel involved to get there and the ages of many of the people involved in organising and showcasing with honorary tee offs and dinners. Its just a sport at end of the day and its just not that important in scheme of things

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saying on the news that it's possible that the Open and Ryder Cup may be postponed as well.
The RC has already got history and it was put back after 9/11. I would think they would try where possible to get all the majors played at some point but that is of course dependent on how bad the pandemic hits across the globe. Mind you seeing Augusta in September would be a different viewing prospect

Wolf

Visit site
I wasn't alive so they don't count.
Nope they definitely still count in the history books..
It maybe the worst year for you because a few sports happen to be cancelled but be realistic, sport really isn't that important if it helps prevent people from being ill. The world still turns and we still get to chat shite on here.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope they definitely still count in the history books..
It maybe the worst year for you because a few sports happen to be cancelled but be realistic, sport really isn't that important if it helps prevent people from being ill. The world still turns and we still get to chat shite on here.
It's not just sport, the trip for my wife's 30th is scrapped as well! Plus we've had the wettest year on record weather wise. I maintain that it's the worst year ever! Not to mention VAR. And it's only going to get worse before it gets any better, this is just the beginning. :(

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Issue with the Open and US Open is that qualifying events are happening in short order.

Not to say they couldn't have a 1 off tournament where they didn't really have proper qualifying or where they had a shorter qualifying period in the weeks before for everyone at a certain ranking.

I can't imagine this containment phase would still be going on into June and July where these events couldn't take place in their planned dates... but as I said, with a bit of pragmatic decisions regarding the qualifying process.

With regards to the Masters... would be very surprised if they didn't move this to the autumn and still play a 2020 Masters.
No one is really going to notice if a lot of tour events, even the Players Championship, simply didn't happen this year. But there should be huge effort to try and at least play the 4 majors at their planned venues.

Wolf

Visit site
It's not just sport, the trip for my wife's 30th is scrapped as well! Plus we've had the wettest year on record weather wise. I maintain that it's the worst year ever! Not to mention VAR. And it's only going to get worse before it gets any better, this is just the beginning. :(
So you can't go on a trip that you can rebook for another time, admittedly that won't be her birthday but cancelling travel plans helps prevent spread the virus surely that's more important. Yes its been wet but again what has that really stopped apart from a bit of sport that's not the end of the world. VAR is *** but again it's just sport its not life threatening. It's all about perspective and I'd rather know that things are happening to help people get better and live long lives than worry about cancelling holidays or some sport not going ahead, there are far more important things in the world. Perhaps this virus will simply help people realise that and make us all a little less selfish.