Masters postponed

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you can't go on a trip that you can rebook for another time, admittedly that won't be her birthday but cancelling travel plans helps prevent spread the virus surely that's more important. Yes its been wet but again what has that really stopped apart from a bit of sport that's not the end of the world. VAR is *** but again it's just sport its not life threatening. It's all about perspective and I'd rather know that things are happening to help people get better and live long lives than worry about cancelling holidays or some sport not going ahead, there are far more important things in the world. Perhaps this virus will simply help people realise that and make us all a little less selfish.
Surely I've made it clear by now that I only care about things that directly affect me? :ROFLMAO:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Issue with the Open and US Open is that qualifying events are happening in short order.

Not to say they couldn't have a 1 off tournament where they didn't really have proper qualifying or where they had a shorter qualifying period in the weeks before for everyone at a certain ranking.

I can't imagine this containment phase would still be going on into June and July where these events couldn't take place in their planned dates... but as I said, with a bit of pragmatic decisions regarding the qualifying process.

With regards to the Masters... would be very surprised if they didn't move this to the autumn and still play a 2020 Masters.
No one is really going to notice if a lot of tour events, even the Players Championship, simply didn't happen this year. But there should be huge effort to try and at least play the 4 majors at their planned venues.

Not a chance in Hell

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Issue with the Open and US Open is that qualifying events are happening in short order.

Not to say they couldn't have a 1 off tournament where they didn't really have proper qualifying or where they had a shorter qualifying period in the weeks before for everyone at a certain ranking.

I can't imagine this containment phase would still be going on into June and July where these events couldn't take place in their planned dates... but as I said, with a bit of pragmatic decisions regarding the qualifying process.

With regards to the Masters... would be very surprised if they didn't move this to the autumn and still play a 2020 Masters.
No one is really going to notice if a lot of tour events, even the Players Championship, simply didn't happen this year. But there should be huge effort to try and at least play the 4 majors at their planned venues.

To be pedantic we're past the containment phase - now in delay phase :) And I'm afraid that at the moment there is no reason it might not be extending into June as the peak volume of infections are pushed out and out :(

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a chance in Hell

About what?

the Masters could literally pick any date in the autumn, with the exception of the Ryder Cup week, and their tournament would happen.

Obviously we are still in very early stages. I'd expect a lot of events will just get cancelled, but some will be postponed and there will be a willingness and a window to play them.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Scottish Golf just announced the cancelation of the Scottish Boys (North Berwick), Scottish Girls (Powfoot) and the Helen Holm (Royal Troon) due to Covid 19.

Some amount of money will be lost by the local economy, B&B owners, restaurants, shops, pro shops etc etc. Very very sad state of affairs.

D

Deleted member 17920

Scottish Golf just announced the cancelation of the Scottish Boys (North Berwick), Scottish Girls (Powfoot) and the Helen Holm (Royal Troon) due to Covid 19.

Some amount of money will be lost by the local economy, B&B owners, restaurants, shops, pro shops etc etc. Very very sad state of affairs.
Totally agree, it’s not just the golf clubs but the local businesses. I fear for the hotels in Woodhall for the summer season if we start cancelling things.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As Augusta National now have an empty course for 4 days I wonder if I should approach them for an opportunity for a forum meet as they must need the cash ??
So. Because we cant fly in....we rent a few landing craft, negotiate a few thousand miles of ocean, go in under cover of darkness, steal some cabs to drive the 200+ miles to Augusta....what could possibly go wrong?
I'm in!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As Augusta National now have an empty course for 4 days I wonder if I should approach them for an opportunity for a forum meet as they must need the cash ??

yeah so members, Tiger, Brooks, Rory and friends arent going to be coming in April as planned, you want your course back or would you rather Glynn brings some chompers and weekend warriors over from the UK. give Glynn the green light you say, ok then........

User20204

Visit site
Don't see The Masters being played this year at all, not because there isn't or wouldn't be a date, I just think they'll throw it in for a year, they (the club) don't need it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't see The Masters being played this year at all, not because there isn't or wouldn't be a date, I just think they'll throw it in for a year, they (the club) don't need it.

a massive part of it also is them having their course at its very best for the masters, not so sure thats possible later in the year with the grass types based on some of the pictures that were around late summer/autumn time