Masters 2023

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
But this is the highest of high level sport. Surely you’d want absolutely no distraction - no interruption to your thought processes.

That’s just my take on it. A low level tour event or something like the Dunhill Links, when you’re alongside your amateur partner, maybe. But the first round of a Major? I just find that a really odd decision. Can you imagine Woods in his prime doing that? Not a chance.
Agree with some of what you say and see where you're coming from. But it's life as we know it now, everybody wants a bit of everybody, and as I say, as long as he agrees to it. 👍

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t get me wrong, I like Rory and enjoyed the fact he is relaxed enough to do it. But I remain staggered that he agreed to.

I’m surprised but pleasantly.

I expect they had an agreement on what questions would be asked. That would be quite normal PR process and Rory would have been able to refuse last moment depending on state of play for certain. I can’t see how it would have been a distraction compared to speaking to his caddy, another player or anyone in the usual entourage the players have around them (but are hidden at Augusta).

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Happens a lot in cricket - they have it during every T20 match including the final

If Rory thought that it might have a negative effect he wouldn’t have touched it - but it’s clearly something that he was comfortable doing and it might help him

I don’t entirely disagree, Phil. But would he have agreed to it if he was in the midst of a full on meltdown?

And I know it happens in other sports, especially T20. But the fact that it has never been done in a Major before tells us something, surely? In DPWT coverage there are regular interviews on the fairways but we have never seen Tim Barter having a natter with a player in a Major.

I actually applaud Rory for being relaxed enough to do it. But that does not alter the fact that I am extremely surprised at the same time, especially given the focus of attention which is on him every time he tees it up at Augusta.

Anyway, back to the golf…….

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Really really really liked the on course talk with Rory. More of that as the weekend progresses please! (With multiple players)

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m more surprised that the Masters have allowed the walk n talk. They are dead set on tradition.
Personally I’d rather not have it.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m more surprised that the Masters have allowed the walk n talk. They are dead set on tradition.

Contrary to popular belief they continually work to innovate how the Masters is filmed and broadcast. They’re very protective of their brand, which is what people interpet as tradition, but they are always looking to improve the quality and technology in the media product which is far from traditional. They’re very good at it too, whether it’s liked or not is down to the viewer.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

My thoughts exactly.

I've enjoyed the chats at other events. This really doesn't need it.

Really surprised it got the green light.

Springveldt

Visit site
Contrary to popular belief they continually work to innovate how the Masters is filmed and broadcast. They’re very protective of their brand, which is what people interpet as tradition, but they are always looking to improve the quality and technology in the media product which is far from traditional. They’re very good at it too, whether it’s liked or not is down to the viewer.
Totally agree. I’m not a fan of the Masters “traditions” but they definitely get how media is done today. From the Dude Perfect stuff to giving press passes to places like Barstool they understand how the younger generation consume media and seem determined to get it right.

The Masters website is also very, very good.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree. I’m not a fan of the Masters “traditions” but they definitely get how media is done today. From the Dude Perfect stuff to giving press passes to places like Barstool they understand how the younger generation consume media and seem determined to get it right.

The Masters website is also very, very good.

Yep. I’ve been saying it for years but the Masters App is best in class (via VPN due to worldwide licensing) across many sports, film, TV and media streaming systems. It should be no surprise given that some of their members are past and present execs at some of the world’s biggest technology and media corporations. The amount of infrastructure that is required to give so many people near complete coverage of every shot on every hole by every player on demand with live telemetry is staggering.

No other sports event does it as well as this and those that come close are simply trying to copy what Augusta have been doing for years.

sjw

Visit site
Calm down mate,it’s almost as if you want people to criticise Rory just so you can get your knickers in a twist over it when they do 😬

Stop talking about Rory……..Please talk about Rory 😂
Think you might be reading a bit too much into some harmless fun mate...

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yep. I’ve been saying it for years but the Masters App is best in class (via VPN due to worldwide licensing) across many sports, film, TV and media streaming systems. It should be no surprise given that some of their members are past and present execs at some of the world’s biggest technology and media corporations. The amount of infrastructure that is required to give so many people near complete coverage of every shot on every hole by every player on demand with live telemetry is staggering.

No other sports event does it as well as this and those that come close are simply trying to copy what Augusta have been doing for years.
Ah, but then you miss out on complaining about the lengthy punditry and ad breaks ;):D