Masters 2020

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Great championship. Hugely worthy winner. He just looks so in control at the mo and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in Butler cabin in April waiting for a second jacket.

As far as Augusta, it was clearly hugely affected by the weather on Thursday. That said I'm not sure I "get" it. The new camera angles were great and seeing a lot of it without fans really showed off the contours of the land. But I'm still not sure I'm that fussed by it.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed the 4 days and delighted for DJ, thoroughly deserved. Would’ve liked a bit of tension on the back 9, but a worthy winner nonetheless.

Of course the whole tournament didn’t feel the same without the spectators, but seeing the course in its full glory was a decent trade off just this once, hopefully back to normal in April.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Did anyone catch any of the BBC highlights. Peter Alliss didn't sound at all well and almost as if he was out of breath. Not sure if he's been ill but sounded like he was struggling

My Hindhead based mates have said he has been quite poorly for a while....

I didn't enjoy Sunday as an exciting competition, as the result wasn't really in doubt.. but there were some great moments and some great play. Having the event this late in the year meant an early finish this side of the pond...which was great. BBC nobbled that with their timing of the highlights...

It's the ultimate rich blokes thinking the exclusivity somehow enhances it's reputation. Give me the Open any day .

Are you mixing up exclusivity of membership, with selection of who plays in the event? :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
20 years ago was a good time to call it a day. I cannot understand why the bbc continue to wheel him out.
I think its largely for people who aren't really interested in golf most of the year and only watch the Masters - they find his voice comforting and familiar. They will need a contingency plan though, the guy is nearly 90 now.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
My Hindhead based mates have said he has been quite poorly for a while....

I didn't enjoy Sunday as an exciting competition, as the result wasn't really in doubt.. but there were some great moments and some great play. Having the event this late in the year meant an early finish this side of the pond...which was great. BBC nobbled that with their timing of the highlights...

Are you mixing up exclusivity of membership, with selection of who plays in the event? :)
No.

sunshine

Visit site
I think its largely for people OVER 70 who aren't really interested in golf most of the year and only watch the Masters - they find his voice comforting and familiar. They will need a contingency plan though, the guy is nearly 90 now.

I've added an important bit of detail to your post which I think makes all the difference.

Ridgeman

Visit site
20 years ago was a good time to call it a day. I cannot understand why the bbc continue to wheel him out.

I do agree. I still go back to his commentary on Jean Van Der Velde at the 1999 open. It was that commentary that put me firmly in the not Peter Alliss camp. Just got fed up with his comments about missing his daughters birthday every year, the mentions of Sir whatever whoever the club captain of whereever. I do remember watching the Open one year while on holiday in Florida. To my surprise and disappointment on comes Peter Alliss who on his time away from BBC jumps across to comentate for US broadcasters. Anyway it must have been Lytham St Annes as he was waffling on about the Beatles and how nobody knew who they were nowadays. His comment included naming, we shall call her Jane, who is the "woman who helps my wife with the housework".

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I enjoy the banter and digs between Nick Dougherty and Andrew Coltart on Sky, suits my sense of humour.

Last edited: