Masters 2020

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've heard how the autumn weather will make the course a little longer, heavier atmosphere apparently. Will it impact the pace of the greens as well or can they control them so much that anything other than heavy rain has no effect.

The Footjoy mug thread regarding the Masters has got me thinking about how scoring may be affected.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Seeing how readily both main tours switch to placing etc for a wet course throughout the season, do folks think they should have lift/clean/place if its damp or rained a wee bit or just let the plugged ball rule deal with those and play it as it lies for everything else?

Play it as it lies for me

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seeing how readily both main tours switch to placing etc for a wet course throughout the season, do folks think they should have lift/clean/place if its damp or rained a wee bit or just let the plugged ball rule deal with those and play it as it lies for everything else?

Play it as it lies for me
As it is a Major, play as it lies. They are meant to be a test.

How the good members of Augusta National would feel about even deeper divots being taken out of their course is another matter.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
As it is a Major, play as it lies. They are meant to be a test.

How the good members of Augusta National would feel about even deeper divots being taken out of their course is another matter.

pick clean and place is different on the PGA tour too you get a full club length to do it that could change your lie quite considerably around the greens and even some fairways too

European tour is the scorecards width

Not sure what rule they use

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It’s all about Bryson

Mental when it’s tiger defending
Let's be honest..last year Tiger at least showed some form in the weeks before the Masters - a couple of top 10s and a couple of top 20s.
This year, apart from the Farmers in January, he's been the wrong side of poor, especially since the end of lockdown
Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Tiger roars back to life but it would surprise me less if he didn't.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
pick clean and place is different on the PGA tour too you get a full club length to do it that could change your lie quite considerably around the greens and even some fairways too

European tour is the scorecards width

Not sure what rule they use
I was picturing balls being plugged and players gouging out but then I re-read Slab's post which mentioned this is obviously covered by the plugging rule. Doh. Brain fade.

I still think it should be play as it lies though. Majors are not meant to be easy. (a full club length :oops:. Blimey, make it even easier.)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Butch has been on SSN and 80% chance of rain on Thursday as a big storm is due to roll in with rain after that. Will the Masters powers that be allow pick and place or as it's a major play it as it lies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
DeChambeau hitting wedge 2nd shots into Augusta par 5s (carrying more than 400yds off the tee)

Hmmm. I know schadenfreude is not really very appealing - but at this point looking forward I am rather hoping I am having to tell myself that as I watch him play...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
DeChambeau hitting wedge 2nd shots into Augusta par 5s (carrying more than 400yds off the tee)

Hmmm. I know schadenfreude is not really very appealing - but at this point looking forward I am rather hoping I am having to tell myself that as I watch him play...

Tiger hit a wedge to 15 in 1997. Its nothing new.