Masters 2020

D

Deleted member 15344

Last time I heard Alliss commentate was that awful USPGA the Beeb got. He didn't know the players and just seemed way past it.
He was my favourite back in the day, but now, I'd rather listen to Mark Roe.

Yeah that last minute coverage wasn’t great - I think that was the last time he was doing some commentary and I think it was all down to timings with the main people at the Olympics . It’s a shame because a lot grew up watching golf him and Steve Rider etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of people writing off Bryson after his 70, especially with his ropey start, but I thought 70 was a pretty good score for the way he played. His short game saved him and it could have been a lot worse.
He definitely relaxed into his round, started to find his rhythm and moved through the gears. If that's his bad round out of the way he could be dangerous the next 3 days.
Although he was the longest driver in his group, Rahm wasn't too far behind, often 5-10 yards. That's not the huge distance advantage claimed in the pre-tournament hype. In fact, later on I thought Rory seemed to be just as long. The distances claimed in the Sandy Lyle practice round belong on jackanory.
Agreed on BDC. I was watching him on Sky's featured groups - he should have birdied the 10th (first hole he played), but he also rescued two pars that looked like bogeys all the way - so really his poor start only cost him that one blow-up hole when he got the 7. To hang in there and finish -2 was well played and he's still in contention having had a bad day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two interesting factoids from Round 1.

Larry Mize and Bryson deC had the same score, 70 (-2). Mize's driving distance was 247 yds, Bryson 334.

Kevin Na hit all 18 greens in regulation. Shot 73 (+1). First player known to shoot over par with 18 GIR.
Brilliant from Mize.
But not a surprise from Na.

4LEX

Visit site
And if Butch says "Outta boy" once more I'm going to put a lob wedge through the TV.
A lot of people writing off Bryson after his 70, especially with his ropey start, but I thought 70 was a pretty good score for the way he played. His short game saved him and it could have been a lot worse.
He definitely relaxed into his round, started to find his rhythm and moved through the gears. If that's his bad round out of the way he could be dangerous the next 3 days.
Although he was the longest driver in his group, Rahm wasn't too far behind, often 5-10 yards. That's not the huge distance advantage claimed in the pre-tournament hype. In fact, later on I thought Rory seemed to be just as long. The distances claimed in the Sandy Lyle practice round belong on jackanory.

I agree. I think the way he bounced back and handled it makes him very dangerous. It changed my view of his chances this week. I'd not be surprised to see him shoot very low today.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And if Butch says "Outta boy" once more I'm going to put a lob wedge through the TV.

I agree. I think the way he bounced back and handled it makes him very dangerous. It changed my view of his chances this week. I'd not be surprised to see him shoot very low today.
Might be a totally different challenge if they get that sub air to dry the greens out.
Greens were like puddings yesterday.
Coming out of that rough will be harder to control.
So he needs to hit the fairways not the trees.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite like Cotter on the BBC, rest I have zero time for. Coltart and Murray are decent on Sky. May be some slight Scottish bias there.

Coltart has caught the disease that gets the sky cricket commentators imo. Breath of fresh air at the start, new views and insights, sadly a while in the comm box with the established guys and becomes another of them :(

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Alex Hay used to say he was half the commentator with Alliss next to him. Like all the Sky ones individually but there aren't many great double acts in the booth there, hard to pick many holes in Dougherty as the front man