Masters 2020

sunshine

Visit site
The ESPN coverage was very good and its amazing to see the course from different angles and perspectives from the traditional fixed camera positions.

I'm assuming this is just this year because there are no spectators. But the low down angles are great, you can see the contours around the greens so much better. The raised views we are used to, from the towers behind the greens, really flatten out the elevations.

sunshine

Visit site
What you're not picking up on is that even through it was yonks later you actually still saw the putt live (they kinda have to cut away for 5-10 minutes when the likes of Bryson, Dustin etc are over a putt)

:LOL: This is so true. Just when you think Bryson is about to putt... he steps away and reviews the putt from another 3 angles.

sunshine

Visit site
The Masters committee are saying that the rough is the same length as every other year but it looks nothing like it. Do we have any seeding/grass experts on why it would look so different?

Is this because it is more wispy because it has only recently been over-seeded? And there is still bermuda? You'll need to ask Snoop Dogg, cos I ain't no expert on grass.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yet when I complained about the coverage your response was

And I didn’t mention the BBC once ( but then that would require someone reading posts properly )

So in your own worlds

“You have to deal with what your given”

Sky's coverage has always been over and above anything offered by BBC and usually by being at the Masters themselves the Sky presentation is far slicker, with less breaks and far less time spent talking. However for obvious reason they aren't and are doing what they think is best to present the coverage. I don't think they got it right but it wasn't unwatchable by a long chalk, just down on what they normally do. Better McGinley than an over the hill Alliss. As much as you don't like it Sky will be the main TV coverer of golf ongoing especially as the BBC aren't showin any of it live

sunshine

Visit site
The way you people write things it's as though you were related, what a load of total crap

Did you not hear him moaning constantly last night about mud balls? Everyone had the same issue, and was frustrated at times, but Bubba was the only one I saw throwing a strop. The guy has no class.

sunshine

Visit site
Unlike some tournaments, it's entirely a sky production choice. The bog standard us masters feed is wall-to-wall golf with a couple of ads every 15 mins.

But is this true this year? Felt like we were watching US picture feed on sky. The coverage was jumping around a lot more like we see on the PGA Tour. Very different to the Sky and Euro Tour productions.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sky's coverage has always been over and above anything offered by BBC and usually by being at the Masters themselves the Sky presentation is far slicker, with less breaks and far less time spent talking. However for obvious reason they aren't and are doing what they think is best to present the coverage. I don't think they got it right but it wasn't unwatchable by a long chalk, just down on what they normally do. Better McGinley than an over the hill Alliss. As much as you don't like it Sky will be the main TV coverer of golf ongoing especially as the BBC aren't showin any of it live
Phil didn’t mention the BBC... you did ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Larry Mize average 247 yds off the tee = -2.
What a performance by a 60+ golfer.
Hope for us all.
Mize and Langer on -3 through 10. I saw a bit of Langer and his control was wonderful to see.

I saw about 2hrs of the coverage on Sky yesterday. I don't know if I have become immune but I am not sure what the moans are about. Between 8-10pm there was loads of golf shown, the odd post round interview, nothing back in the studio, no more adverts than normal. I enjoyed it.

I expected the course to look a shadow of itself without crowds. Not the case. Whether we don't get to see any dull holes I don't know but everything looked pretty good still.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm assuming this is just this year because there are no spectators. But the low down angles are great, you can see the contours around the greens so much better. The raised views we are used to, from the towers behind the greens, really flatten out the elevations.

Yes, one that stood out to me was the new angle on 9 green (looking down the green from the top rather than side-on) and behind 7th green where you can see players teeing off on 3 in the background - wierd!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mize and Langer on -3 through 10. I saw a bit of Langer and his control was wonderful to see.

I saw about 2hrs of the coverage on Sky yesterday. I don't know if I have become immune but I am not sure what the moans are about. Between 8-10pm there was loads of golf shown, the odd post round interview, nothing back in the studio, no more adverts than normal. I enjoyed it.

I expected the course to look a shadow of itself without crowds. Not the case. Whether we don't get to see any dull holes I don't know but everything looked pretty good still.

Interesting Langer hit 6 iron on 16 which was playing 160 yards....very relatable!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sure Alliss was good in the 70's and 80's, but the BBC kept him on about 20 years too long. He went from being a quaint anachronism in the early 2000's to really damaging the BBC product for the last 10 years.
As an aside with reflections on Alliss - and then there was Henry Longhurst....an appreciation by Alistair Cooke (also interesting introductory reflection on 9.11)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p00spzry

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you not hear him moaning constantly last night about mud balls? Everyone had the same issue, and was frustrated at times, but Bubba was the only one I saw throwing a strop. The guy has no class.
Well he certainly moaned once, they just happened to get it on camera very audibly. I saw plenty of other players complain about getting a mudball as well, including Tiger.

sunshine

Visit site
Yes, one that stood out to me was the new angle on 9 green (looking down the green from the top rather than side-on) and behind 7th green where you can see players teeing off on 3 in the background - wierd!

The ones behind the green were the best. You continually hear commentators mention how hard it is to get up and down when the ball runs off the back, yesterday was the first time you could clearly see why.

sunshine

Visit site
Well he certainly moaned once, they just happened to get it on camera very audibly. I saw plenty of other players complain about getting a mudball as well, including Tiger.

Plenty of others called out mud ball, and looked irritated / frustrated. Bubba was the only one I saw who had a full on Kevin the teenager strop. That is sooo unfair!

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Wasn't it Kokrak who smashed one through the back of 15 and as the ball bounced through you could hear "MUDBALLL!" and it whistled past Westwood into the water? The ever helpful Westy sticking a tee in the ground "yes. this is where it got wet"!

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
A lot of people writing off Bryson after his 70, especially with his ropey start, but I thought 70 was a pretty good score for the way he played. His short game saved him and it could have been a lot worse.
He definitely relaxed into his round, started to find his rhythm and moved through the gears. If that's his bad round out of the way he could be dangerous the next 3 days.
Although he was the longest driver in his group, Rahm wasn't too far behind, often 5-10 yards. That's not the huge distance advantage claimed in the pre-tournament hype. In fact, later on I thought Rory seemed to be just as long. The distances claimed in the Sandy Lyle practice round belong on jackanory.

D

Deleted member 18588

Last time I heard Alliss commentate was that awful USPGA the Beeb got. He didn't know the players and just seemed way past it.
He was my favourite back in the day, but now, I'd rather listen to Mark Roe.
I agree with you that,sadly, Alliss has become an anachronism.

But as for rather listening to Mark Roe!

I'm sorry but that's a step too far?