Marking cards for single players

Rivermanii

Visit site
Can’t find a definitive answer in R and A website. But can a single player play on their own in an open competition, club trophy competition and have their card marked by a member who does not have a current handicap?

Rivermanii

Visit site
Maybe my message is misleading. It’s not about me. I always play in an2!or 3 ball and we mark each others card. But we have a member that has played on their own with another member of the golf club who is their friend but doesn’t have a current handicap as they never play (the membership is part of their contract with working at the club)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A marker doesn't have to be another player - just has to be someone that the competition committee has determined is acceptable. Nor do they have to have a handicap. Players also have to play in 'groups' in a manner determined by the competition committee. A 'group' of one person could be acceptable. So, a singleton with a non-playing friend as a marker might seem dubious, and possibly is, but it isn't necessarily prohibited. It all depends on what your committee has specified in the terms of competition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is something which is a club by club rule.

Ours is the marker must have a handicap or can be someone who is approved by the committee.

One example where I play there is one person plays with his daughter who is a golf professional and therefore does not have a handicap.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Further, what defines a "current" handicap? Is it based on when the last score was entered? How long before an handicap index lapses from current to non-current?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your WHS Handicap is valid for as long as you are a member of a club.

A Handicap Index only lapses if a player is no longer a member of at least one golf club.
From Rule 5.5, WHS Rules of Handicapping.

Last edited:

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
A marker doesn't have to be another player - just has to be someone that the competition committee has determined is acceptable. Nor do they have to have a handicap. Players also have to play in 'groups' in a manner determined by the competition committee. A 'group' of one person could be acceptable. So, a singleton with a non-playing friend as a marker might seem dubious, and possibly is, but it isn't necessarily prohibited. It all depends on what your committee has specified in the terms of competition.
That last bit surprises me as a non-golfer in the main wouldn’t know the rules. to be fair, same could be said for golfer mind.

Swango1980

Visit site
That last bit surprises me as a non-golfer in the main wouldn’t know the rules. to be fair, same could be said for golfer mind.
I guess, as we are reminded in other threads, the marker is not a referee. The player is responsible for playing under the rules.

As such, if a marker is to be a responsible person, I guess the only ability they need is to listen to the score the player tells them, and have the ability to write than on a card? Knowledge of the rules is unnecessary?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

The marker isn't a referee so doesn't have to have knowledge of the rules (as far as I understand) he/she just needs to agree the scores and sign the card

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The marker isn't a referee so doesn't have to have knowledge of the rules (as far as I understand) he/she just needs to agree the scores and sign the card

However some who has a handicap would be expected to have a reasonable grasp of the rules to know when a player should have penalty scores added to the score he is being informed of.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
See Rule 1.3b(1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules: Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves...

LizAig

Visit site
It depends on your local rules - ours say that for Medals and Majors the person marking your card must have a handicap.

LizAig

Visit site
Thanks - I was having a brain fart and couldn’t think what they were called even though I write them up for our club!!!