Marking cards for handicap

HPIMG

Visit site
I was up at the practice area last night ended up talking to another member and he was wanting someone to mark his cards. I said I think it’s 6 per year and he was saying he thinks it’s different now you only have to put in 3 and it can be over 5 years. This can’t be right is it ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS per IanM
Loss of handicap for not putting cards in disappeared more than a decade a go
Each club can set it owns rules about number of cards for comp entry

As per Backache
Competition status (c after your handicap) was abolished with the WHS

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
There is no magic number. Players simply have the responsibility to ensure all acceptable scores are submitted for handicap purposes in order to provide reasonable evidence of their demonstrated ability.

It would be hard to argue that 1 or 2 scores a year does that unless that is pretty much all the golf that is being played.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is no magic number. Players simply have the responsibility to ensure all acceptable scores are submitted for handicap purposes in order to provide reasonable evidence of their demonstrated ability.

It would be hard to argue that 1 or 2 scors a year does that unless that is pretty much all the golf that is being played.
I know plenty of people who play a lot of golf but will only have one or two acceptable scores per year because their golf consists of matchplay, casual play where they don't putt out drop balls etc.
To be fair they are not entering club competitions so their handicap is for social purposes.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At ours, to enter any major you must have 3 active comp cards within a 12 month window. GP cards are not counted as h/c’s can be “inaccurate”

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club recommends 20 rounds a year are submitted to create a ‘well-formed’ handicap record that gives an up-to-date reflection of playing ability for equitability among competitors (in a comp).

Individual comps may have specific entry criteria relating to numbers and types of rounds to have been submitted.

wjemather

Visit site
I know plenty of people who play a lot of golf but will only have one or two acceptable scores per year because their golf consists of matchplay, casual play where they don't putt out drop balls etc.
To be fair they are not entering club competitions so their handicap is for social purposes.
Wouldn't be much hardship to use a few of these for GP scores.

Whether the handicap is to be used for only social or competition purposes, the player responsibilities are the same.

HPIMG

Visit site
My old club was you needed to put in minimum 6 cards per year. So I just assumed every club was the same.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't be much hardship to use a few of these for GP scores.

Whether the handicap is to be used for only social or competition purposes, the player responsibilities are the same.
I don't think many people feel any responsibility towards their handicap when used for social purposes.Particularly those who dislike the way things like having mobile phones to score intrudes on their enjoyment of the game.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think many people feel any responsibility towards their handicap when used for social purposes.Particularly those who dislike the way things like having mobile phones to score intrudes on their enjoyment of the game.
You don't have to have a phone to do it the 'old fashioned' way.

wjemather

Visit site
There is no requirement for a mobile phone in order to submit scores for handicapping.