Mark crossfield - shaft test

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
O like these videos, It's not the first time he has took on the shaftoids, never goes down well:LOL: basically play what you like the weight and feel of and don't think a shaft is going to drastically change your numbers.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does he fit golfers for new clubs then?

It’s all feel based. If a golfer says he likes the feel of a particular shaft, and then numbers are good....job done.

Golfers will automatically adjust to a club...it’s just how the body works. It will figure out what it needs to do to get the ball towards target.

Visit site
Numbers don't interest me if I'm looking at getting fitted, it's all feel. My 3w fitting, I hit 3 shots with it, one didn't get airborne but the other 2 was just Pured. That's the combo I want I said, it was ordered, I got it and never really felt the same as the one I hit in the fitting. So, you could get a demo shaft, head combination that just suits you on that day, and the ordered/bought one doesn't feel the same.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very interesting but think the lad could hit a teapot on a stick with that swing.
It’s like the mini v Bentley argument both get you from a to b .
People have a “I am a stiff shaft” and that’s it ,but we don’t have the facilities to test lots of shafts.
I can’t really tell the difference and do agree you either like it ( good results ) or you don’t (bad result).

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Back in 2011 a couple of guys and myself on the forum were fitted for taylormade R11S / RBZ drivers while there we got to hit everything from womens shafts to pokers, generally speaking there was little difference. I found the head weight and feel made more of a difference to me. The ladies shaft went off great it has to be said but felt like an absolute whip.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's done some good stuff recently. The video where he was getting Dan to emulate the faults of one of his swing fix viewer vides was really interesting. Will watch this one later.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a number of fits over the year. I can feel a difference between certain shafts in R and S flex (my SS is usually on the cusp for either) and tend to find S harder to get comfy with. Whether that's a mental thing knowing its a firmer shaft I don't know but I tend to stick to a R flex and then maybe go for a heavier shaft instead. However there are certain makes (KBS etc) that I find too heavy even in R flex and don't like the "feel" of so I agree that a player has to like how the club performs (feels) first before using the numbers to look at shot patterns and work out if there are savings to be made in terms of distance/dispersion between a couple of options

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot to be said for "feel".

We're never a million miles away when based on feel.

I was playing around with my driver at the range other day.. tried the club in every single loft setting (bar the 12 degree and the 9 degree, the two extremes of the shaft) so 9.5 10.5 11.5 , then the 9.5d 10.5d and the 11.5d

I started the day in 9.5 and finished in 9.5, the others just felt weird

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Back in 2011 a couple of guys and myself on the forum were fitted for taylormade R11S / RBZ drivers while there we got to hit everything from womens shafts to pokers, generally speaking there was little difference. I found the head weight and feel made more of a difference to me. The ladies shaft went off great it has to be said but felt like an absolute whip.

I hit a Srixon iron at the range the other day which had a real whippy graphite shaft in, I have stiff shafts in my irons, but BOY did they fly!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Shafts have minimal effect on spin numbers, people will always play what 'feels' best. I think shaft weight is hugely more important than shaft flex or profile in my opinion and a shaft of the right length/weight & club of the right swingweight can help you find the centre of the club. A shaft in itself is not going to do much atall really and driver head type & loft & also the ball you use will make much more of a difference. Yes a £3 golf ball will have a greater impact on spin than a £330 shaft, crazy right ? I use a £330 shaft because I like the weight and feel of it but it goes no better than the hazardous smoke shaft originally in my driver

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
TXG did a vid on driver shafts, high launch v low launch. I think it was Diamana red v white. Very different bend profiles. The numbers came out the same, but Matt found the white more comfortable.
I think this is my view too. I can play with TTDG S300s, but it feels hard work. R300s just feel that bit easier to swing. PX feel dead, KBS tour feel light, and C tapers just feel odd. The numbers don't change much though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
TXG did a vid on driver shafts, high launch v low launch. I think it was Diamana red v white. Very different bend profiles. The numbers came out the same, but Matt found the white more comfortable.
I think this is my view too. I can play with TTDG S300s, but it feels hard work. R300s just feel that bit easier to swing. PX feel dead, KBS tour feel light, and C tapers just feel odd. The numbers don't change much though.
They've also said that one company's low launch is another company's mid or mid- high.
The low/mid/high only refers to shafts from that manufacturer - in the same way one company's regular is another's stiff.