Mark crossfield - shaft test

User20204

Visit site
I predict the results will be a lot different.

Talk about stating the obvious, of course a 20 handicappers results will be a lot different as he won't have the consistency of a +1 but that's not to say he won't be able to play or hit it any different regardless of the shaft he's given.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched as much of it as I could stomach. For me the whole process is flawed by using a guy who plays off +1, he is obviously a very good golfer who will pretty much get the best out of anything he is given. Try the same thing with a 20 handicapper who plays with a negative attack angle and a fade/slice and I predict the results will be a lot different.

They addressed this in the video, it wouldn't. This is also a better test than a 20 handicapper because you're getting consistent, comparative strike profiles which allow you to accurately compare and see patterns. He's done similar tests to this a few times and gets the same results every time. He's apparently doing the test again with a handicap golfer, so I guess we'll wait and see, I expect the results to be the same.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So are you saying that a high handicap golfer with a terrible swing who putts a different swing on the ball every time would get more benefits from a different shaft over a pro golfer?
No I'm saying that the more skilled golfer will adapt to any particular shaft within reason whilst hitting balls in a studio or on a range, where they can adapt to it and they are under no pressure. Now take that on the course where you are under more pressure and only have one go at it and see how you get on. The high handicapper will not adapt as readily and the wrong shaft will only compound any faults in the swing.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Talk about stating the obvious, of course a 20 handicappers results will be a lot different as he won't have the consistency of a +1 but that's not to say he won't be able to play or hit it any different regardless of the shaft he's given.
What I mean is that a less skilled golfer will not be able to overcome the difference in the shaft so easily, or are you saying that a player who slices with a 50g Reg flex will hit a 70g X flex straighter?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
No I'm saying that the more skilled golfer will adapt to any particular shaft within reason whilst hitting balls in a studio or on a range, where they can adapt to it and they are under no pressure. Now take that on the course where you are under more pressure and only have one go at it and see how you get on. The high handicapper will not adapt as readily and the wrong shaft will only compound any faults in the swing.

The golfer in the video made 4 swings with each shaft, he didn't know what the shaft profile was he was hitting other than his own, so how did he know what to adapt? And why didn't it take him a couple of swings to work it out? The results were identical immediately.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haven't watched it, but maybe he wasn't trying to 'adapt' and was consciously trying to swing exactly the same for each shaft? As you say with his consistency that's something he should be able to do also.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The golfer in the video made 4 swings with each shaft, he didn't know what the shaft profile was he was hitting other than his own, so how did he know what to adapt? And why didn't it take him a couple of swings to work it out? The results were identical immediately.
As I said before I couldn't watch the whole video as I find Crossfield nauseous at best and I didn't want to break my laptop. I am just passing on what years of fitting & club building (including on the ET) have shown. Better players will adapt to any shaft when hitting on the range and will get good numbers from it, they are just tuned to do that. The difference comes under tournament conditions when you just get one go and you need to find the fairway. I am not suggesting that anybody (especially the average club golfer) needs to spend upwards of £300 on a shaft, there should be something to suit 99% of players in every manufacturers standard line up.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What I mean is that a less skilled golfer will not be able to overcome the difference in the shaft so easily, or are you saying that a player who slices with a 50g Reg flex will hit a 70g X flex straighter?

I think in reality, someone who is good can hit anything really well, and someone who is bad can hit anything badly, therefore in both scenarios it doesn't really make a difference, the good player is still good, and the bad player is still bad.

I'm sure equipment makes a difference, but it's fine-tuning, if a shaft launches a degree higher, it's more significant to you if your launch angle is in a 3 degree window than if it is in a 10 degree window, but the difference of 1 degree isn't going to magically transform your game.

GolfingPastor

Visit site
I have certain clubs that are stiff, 1 reg and 1 X stiff in my bag. Pure feel for me.
If I listened to the nice man at AG though, I would NEED something very specific across the every club (most likely the item that they are told to shift this month!)

Apologies for my scepticism with fittings at certain places!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
As I said before I couldn't watch the whole video as I find Crossfield nauseous at best and I didn't want to break my laptop. I am just passing on what years of fitting & club building (including on the ET) have shown. Better players will adapt to any shaft when hitting on the range and will get good numbers from it, they are just tuned to do that. The difference comes under tournament conditions when you just get one go and you need to find the fairway. I am not suggesting that anybody (especially the average club golfer) needs to spend upwards of £300 on a shaft, there should be something to suit 99% of players in every manufacturers standard line up.
The shaft doesn't know if you are hitting into a field or the 18th at the open mate, the reality is they just dont make the difference some would lead you to believe, golfers are always looking for something else to blame other than themselves, if it's a putter its the insert or the grip. If it's a driver it's the shaft, if it's an iron they just cant get on with them 😂 I play to a higher level than most amateurs and have fiddled about with enough stuff to know, play what feels good and works. Mark Crossfield has done this test with loads of players to date and the results are always the same 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shaft doesn't know if you are hitting into a field or the 18th at the open mate, the reality is they just dont make the difference some would lead you to believe, golfers are always looking for something else to blame other than themselves, if it's a putter its the insert or the grip. If it's a driver it's the shaft, if it's an iron they just cant get on with them 😂 I play to a higher level than most amateurs and have fiddled about with enough stuff to know, play what feels good and works. Mark Crossfield has done this test with loads of players to date and the results are always the same 😂

I find a lot of people won’t give it the time of day because they don’t like mark. Just because he can be a bit like marmite doesn’t mean he is wrong

D

Deleted member 21258

Heres Neil Tappin and Mike Harris

more youtube videos on this (been loads over the years) :-

James Robinson :-

More Crossfields/Buzza :-

Other Tuders :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORo-8tj_Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsxSA11n_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8VbtElCnD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ORo-8tj_Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4krP28APnv8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Stip4yXhSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsxSA11n_M

Watch loads over the years and its interesting

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd like to see launch angle, peak height and spin from a 3 wood with 3 very differnt shafts from a lower speed player.

All well and good seeing a similar launch angle from a ball sitting on a tee.

GasMan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’d be a much fairer test giving the different shafts to a low handicap golfer with a slow swing speed. With a faster speed to can subconsciously feel the shaft load and time it through talent. Give a sub 100mph driver guy a tour x-stiff Diamana whiteboard and it plain won’t work.

Rule of thumb for me is find how stiff you can go until you feel you have go at it to make it work. Unless you can make a smooth swing ie 70% it’s too stiff. Different profiles are totally subjective to feel as is shaft weight. It’s never necessary to pay more than £50-100 for a shaft and then an adapter may be £30.

Fair play to anyone who wants to believe a £400 shaft works for them. All the time they do there will still be loads of 2nd hand awesome shafts for no money relatively up for sale on ebay and Facebook etc.