Mark crossfield - shaft test

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They've also said that one company's low launch is another company's mid or mid- high.
The low/mid/high only refers to shafts from that manufacturer - in the same way one company's regular is another's stiff.

But it really didn't make any difference. It seemed to be a numpty way of describing a bend profile rather than an actual description of what will happen.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Txg has to be the worst channel out there, they have a guy who hits it a long way but comes 6 or 7 degrees from the inside and turns the ball over alot at times. Drive is about 30 yards offline, yeah great drive Matty, what courses are they guys playing 😂
They're reviews are based on how little Matt hooks a club and hardly touch on looks, feel, price point etc. They are all about hype and marketing etc and also distance, just not really very good or useful information. The new thing they are doing is called the bracket, putting drivers up against each other (only Matt is hitting) and the one that wins is generally the one he hooks the least

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
People are just so desperate to want shatfs to make a difference. I've seen some crazy stuff in the past in reference to shaft beliefs. The truth is that shafts do make a difference but by a very small amount. But people will still believe that a shaft will balloon a ball or be responsible for a duck hook. I've learnt to just nod my head and ignore said people

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well someone is lying then.

How many times have we seen people on here talk about their iron fitting and how when one particular iron shaft went in their distance went up 10yards and dispersion was instantly tighter.

Granted this is a driver video.

Tbf to mark crossfield , he has always preached the same thing since the start. STRIKE is KING.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

How many times have we seen people on here talk about their iron fitting and how when one particular iron shaft went in their distance went up 10yards and dispersion was instantly tighter.

Granted this is a driver video.

Tbf to mark crossfield , he has always preached the same thing since the start. STRIKE is KING.
Yeah they never tell you the loft of the iron they were testing that goes 10 yards further than the other, you have lower loft and a lower cg in an iron it goes high and it goes far

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
On most of my clubs, where a shaft sticker is still there, they just say "R", one or two are "S" ans some use a manufacturer's numbering system.

I can't really tell any difference between them, club weight and shaft length have more impact and even then not a huge amount.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is lying. The placebo effect is one of the world's best drugs, it actually makes people feel better. For some people, being told that a piece of golf equipment works for them is enough to make them play better, even if the numbers are the same. That's worth something, even if it seems a bit odd.

It's like Dumbo's magic feather. The person I feel sorry for is the young lad on the vid who's paid £300 for his feather and has now had it taken away...

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I like Mark's viewpoint on this, because at the end of the day he says, get what you feel is best, and if you have £300 and want to spend it on a shaft, go for it.

D

Deleted member 21258

Seen quite a few of his (plus others on youtube) videos, showing exacting the same result.

Seen the same for me, when I have done similar with wifes driver, mine, xflex, regular shafted, senior shafted clubs, basically its my delivery that makes a good/bad result. Don't get me wrong the senior/ladies feels like Mr whippy and Mr X flex feels like a scaffold pole but results very similar. Head loft and strike has much bigger effects on flight. Wife did see quite a difference on having the wrong irons tho, so isn't just simple.

Thought this video was great and his delivery very good on this one. Wish he would do more videos along this line, as great to watch.

Interesting comment about Montys 7 wood shaft at the end.

That guy had a great looking/working swing. Thumbs up to him for taking part.(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
interesting vid, obv it was featuring driver shafts, but when i was fitted for my irons the shaft i went for felt the worst, dead with no feel, but better ball flight and less shape on it, not to forget the 5 yards extra distance in carry.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm only stirring the pot as I do actually think shafts make a difference when talking about hitting hybrids or woods off the ground.

I would like to see that test done.

Also would like to see slower swing speeds hit really stout shafts in irons and even drivers.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm only stirring the pot as I do actually think shafts make a difference when talking about hitting hybrids or woods off the ground.

I would like to see that test done.

Also would like to see slower swing speeds hit really stout shafts in irons and even drivers.
Its loft that makes the difference with long irons/woods/hybrids. The less loft you have the more speed you need to get the ball up, a shaft ain't going to change physics. It's no coincidental that since online buying came in/Ebay etc that manufacturers have pushed the custom fit only option everywhere, why ? Because it's only available for new clubs and it's more profitable for everyone in the business

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that it's easier to elevate lighter wood shafts. Maybe it allows for more speed.
Heavier which usually means stiffer for me produces a lower flight.

That's just what I've found down the years.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
When I had my recent irons and hybrid fitted, the shaft choice was all about feel - in the irons I preferred feeling the weight up by my hands. With the hybrid, it was more of a mid-point kick. Didn't pay anything extra for either of them.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

That could be because they are able to deliver a more centered, efficient strike - due to the kick point/feel/length. You answered your own question really:

STRIKE IS KING

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thought I saw a vid earlier this week from GM giving a similar opinion on the shaft discussioni.e. there wasn't a lot of difference between the shafts they tried

I get the feel argument, but still can't help thinking that speed and ability have to play their part too. Better players with faster swings are surely more able to play any shaft, whilst a slow swinging higher handicapper would likely struggle to play stiffer shafts. You could argue that all contributes as feel, but some are a lot more ham fisted in their grip, or stiff in their body movement, or swing the club badly, all of which will help negate feel in a big a way. I'm not convinced for everyone that buying a club on feel will necessarily give you the club that will be best for you to play.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just wish he would edit his videos back to under 10 mins

Yes prob highlights more my attention span but 10 mins was so much more interesting

Lots of fluff in the videos to pad them up to 18

Wolf

Visit site
Tbh I think Crosfield these days is a bit of a shaft in general.

However that being said its an interesting video and topic. The guy in the video is clearly talented anyway with his handicap so could probably hit a variety of shafts with not much difference.

Then there's the average Am, before my driver fitting I played what I felt I liked and generally played well. I was told by the fitter after my fitting what worked best for me. But that was only after I said I didn't like the feel of the first 2 shafts he gave me, I felt I couldn't tell where the clubhead was. We then tweaked it until I felt comfortable in a shaft which then did improve my numbers over what I was already using. So despite the fitter knowing how to obtain numbers and that I needed a stiffer shaft it still come down to me being comfortable with the feel of it first.

Funny isn't it all this tech and it really does show feel despite what science tell us is just as important. Like my Wedges I like the shaft to feel heavy in them others don't.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tbh I think Crosfield these days is a bit of a shaft in general.

However that being said its an interesting video and topic. The guy in the video is clearly talented anyway with his handicap so could probably hit a variety of shafts with not much difference.

Then there's the average Am, before my driver fitting I played what I felt I liked and generally played well. I was told by the fitter after my fitting what worked best for me. But that was only after I said I didn't like the feel of the first 2 shafts he gave me, I felt I couldn't tell where the clubhead was. We then tweaked it until I felt comfortable in a shaft which then did improve my numbers over what I was already using. So despite the fitter knowing how to obtain numbers and that I needed a stiffer shaft it still come down to me being comfortable with the feel of it first.

Funny isn't it all this tech and it really does show feel despite what science tell us is just as important. Like my Wedges I like the shaft to feel heavy in them others don't.

I’m watching the video myself now
Did the shaft add much cost or was it just standard Price point?

Wolf

Visit site
I’m watching the video myself now
Did the shaft add much cost or was it just standard Price point?
In my case standard price point and was cheaper than the other shafts he initially tried me. I had no idea the cost at time but I didn't like the uprated shafts I literally could not feel where the club was in relation to my swing. Resulting in me hitting hooks and pushes I just couldn't feel where to square up.

Put me in the other shaft the one I went for same flex and voila straight as a died and felt I knew where I was and turned out to be the stock option just in stiff flex