Mark crossfield - shaft test

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my case standard price point and was cheaper than the other shafts he initially tried me. I had no idea the cost at time but I didn't like the uprated shafts I literally could not feel where the club was in relation to my swing. Resulting in me hitting hooks and pushes I just couldn't feel where to square up.

Put me in the other shaft the one I went for same flex and voila straight as a died and felt I knew where I was and turned out to be the stock option just in stiff flex

If it’s standard price and it’s all on feel that’s happy days 👌

Still got to try them out ofc see what works best for you.

If it works and it’s in your price range .. never get the £400 clubs with a £300 upgrade in shaft

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well someone is lying then.

How many times have we seen people on here talk about their iron fitting and how when one particular iron shaft went in their distance went up 10yards and dispersion was instantly tighter.

Granted this is a driver video.

Tbf to mark crossfield , he has always preached the same thing since the start. STRIKE is KING.
I think there could be truth about the numbers being different for people, but the cause of that may just be because the feel was better for them, or even just placebo if they were hitting the shaft they thought they needed. As others have said how it feels to swing is what you gives the confidence to hit it properly I think. That doesn't mean a more expensive shaft is a better shaft, just a different shaft that might be preferable or not.

I look at putters the same way, very little technology at play, you just find the one with the best weight, feel and look that you like when swinging it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Shafts generally make no difference, what you actually feel is the shaft weight and swing weight of the club which are 2 completely different things and these will IMO matter much more than flex, profile/high or low kick point. It doesn't really matter, the shaft isn't going to make any difference. The type of head you play and the ball you play will make a huge difference but shaft no. Also it could be argued that a better player with more consistent numbers should be able to gain more from a better 'shaft' as they will have the consistency required to see the benefits more often. Unfortunately as long as different shafts feel different and are heavier and lighter people will have preconceptions and also wrong ideas about what the shaft is actually going to do. Manufacturers dont help as they have loads of options and would try and sell you the latest and greatest but hey its all business

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I look at putters the same way, very little technology at play, you just find the one with the best weight, feel and look that you like when swinging it.

I agree with this, feel plays a huge part in putters, but the swing arc is entirely different, much reduced with very much less moving body parts.

Wolf

Visit site
If it’s standard price and it’s all on feel that’s happy days 👌

Still got to try them out ofc see what works best for you.

If it works and it’s in your price range .. never get the £400 clubs with a £300 upgrade in shaft
My thoughts exactly try them all go with what feels best.

Shafts generally make no difference, what you actually feel is the shaft weight and swing weight of the club which are 2 completely different things and these will IMO matter much more than flex, profile/high or low kick point. It doesn't really matter, the shaft isn't going to make any difference. The type of head you play and the ball you play will make a huge difference but shaft no. Also it could be argued that a better player with more consistent numbers should be able to gain more from a better 'shaft' as they will have the consistency required to see the benefits more often. Unfortunately as long as different shafts feel different and are heavier and lighter people will have preconceptions and also wrong ideas about what the shaft is actually going to do. Manufacturers dont help as they have loads of options and would try and sell you the latest and greatest but hey its all business
Do you know what for once I think we actually agree on something. Its personal feel and as long as you can play it the rest is an irrelevance. If it feels right you hit well and trust it that's more important especially at club level than any form of technical reason why you should supposedly play something different.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

100% with putters got to agree

I picked my last putter on feel.. didn’t even realise the price etc until I got to till

When out yest (and most times I play) the majority of the 4 ball is made up of that putter (odyssey 2 ball) yesterday was 3/4 of us

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think if any club feels good and does what you want it to do most play it anyway regardless of what it says, I have a ts2 driver with a tensei ck blue pro series with boron tip shaft (£330 shaft) I also have the hzrdous smoke shaft (stock) and they both fly the same go the same distance. I play the tensei because it feels better to me

Wolf

Visit site
100% with putters got to agree

I picked my last putter on feel.. didn’t even realise the price etc until I got to till

When out yest (and most times I play) the majority of the 4 ball is made up of that putter (odyssey 2 ball) yesterday was 3/4 of us
Again agreed.

I got my Scotty out the bargain bucket at AG when they went into liquidation for £67 just needed a slight touch up on the paint in back of head for aesthetics which I did myself. Bought because I like the feel and weight. Always liked an anser/newport style head.

When I had my driver fitting we also got the chance to try out all the new TM putters with the TM tour putting guru. Gave me the new Spider in all its guises with different hosels, weights and styles. Then putted with mine, he told me never to change putters mines perfect for me and recommended buying on feel of a putter as the most important factor

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again agreed.

I got my Scotty out the bargain bucket at AG when they went into liquidation for £67 just needed a slight touch up on the paint in back of head for aesthetics which I did myself. Bought because I like the feel and weight. Always liked an anser/newport style head.

When I had my driver fitting we also got the chance to try out all the new TM putters with the TM tour putting guru. Gave me the new Spider in all its guises with different hosels, weights and styles. Then putted with mine, he told me never to change putters mines perfect for me and recommended buying on feel of a putter as the most important factor

Was chuffed with mine, was just at the range.. tested it out. Really liked the feel. Got my old one and compared . Felt better and was hoping / getting close. Thought why not

Got to the till.. half price on all putters ! £90 I think I paid including a super stroke grip added to it

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m writing this before watching the vid. One manufacturers stiff is another’s regular. It almost pointless to say you play stiff without knowing what that means. Stiff what? At a simplistic level, it should be frequency based on a shaft length and weight. And this leads to feel. Get the right feel, you have the right weight and length and that’s most of the job done imo. You can have forensic data that shaft Y is perfect for you, but if it feels like a dead piece of lead, then you ain’t going to play it. Hopefully. You then get fitting data to refine launch data by altering the head loft and your dynamic loft because of your technique.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think there could be truth about the numbers being different for people, but the cause of that may just be because the feel was better for them, or even just placebo if they were hitting the shaft they thought they needed. As others have said how it feels to swing is what you gives the confidence to hit it properly I think. That doesn't mean a more expensive shaft is a better shaft, just a different shaft that might be preferable or not.

Plenty of tech in putters in terms of balance and MOI.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think if any club feels good and does what you want it to do most play it anyway regardless of what it says, I have a ts2 driver with a tensei ck blue pro series with boron tip shaft (£330 shaft) I also have the hzrdous smoke shaft (stock) and they both fly the same go the same distance. I play the tensei because it feels better to me
£330 😂😂 if only you knew what they were trade!!

Both shafts high kick point low spin though. So don’t see how you can say shaft doesn’t matter. It makes a huge difference to spin

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you watched the video?
I skipped through it because the man acts like he’s an expert in clubs and he’s not. He’s a fool. Can’t even speak properly ‘bruh

I noticed he took the 4000 spinning driver out with the soft shaft because it was a bad swing. His ball speed was almost identical.

I’ve recently moved from a Tensei Blue to a Tensei white. I reduced my spin by 500rpm brought the launch down 2 degrees and gained my about 10yds, into wind even more.

I would agree that flex plays a more limited part, and that spending lots for an aftermarket shaft compared to the large range most manufacturers offer probably won’t get you value for money but you could say the same for most things in life.

Visit site
I have a TPT shaft in my driver and nowhere does it say R S X it’s all done on swing speed so the higher the SS the lower the number. It starts from 19 and goes to 15 and they’ve just done a 14.5 which Justin Rose used at the US Open (he previously used TPT and won 3 times with it in his TM) Also on the shaft is the kickpoint LKP or MKP, and torque LT or MT also SW (I ‘think’ it’s shaft weight) so mine is 15 (105+) MKP MT SW (69g)

The shaft doesn’t need puring as their manufacturing process makes it that no matter what orientation the shaft is in it’ll be the same. It’s the most stable shaft on the market up to date.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
£330 😂😂 if only you knew what they were trade!!

Both shafts high kick point low spin though. So don’t see how you can say shaft doesn’t matter. It makes a huge difference to spin
I didn't buy it mate I was stating what it costs at retail, I got given it by someone, it came off a tour van. Also mate in my experience they really dont matter, I'm a pretty good golfer and have always been more aware of the weight of a shaft and swingweight of a club than actual flex. Flex means nothing

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I watched as much of it as I could stomach. For me the whole process is flawed by using a guy who plays off +1, he is obviously a very good golfer who will pretty much get the best out of anything he is given. Try the same thing with a 20 handicapper who plays with a negative attack angle and a fade/slice and I predict the results will be a lot different.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watched as much of it as I could stomach. For me the whole process is flawed by using a guy who plays off +1, he is obviously a very good golfer who will pretty much get the best out of anything he is given. Try the same thing with a 20 handicapper who plays with a negative attack angle and a fade/slice and I predict the results will be a lot different.
So are you saying that a high handicap golfer with a terrible swing who putts a different swing on the ball every time would get more benefits from a different shaft over a pro golfer?