Managed to buffer

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
27 pts in this weekends monthly Stableford and managed to buffer :eek:

Par 70 (SSS 71) CSS 74 Cat 3

Playing to H'cap = 32pts minus 3 (buffer tolerance) minus 2 rounded down holes to nett doubles = buffer zone. I think that's how it was worked out. That was a surprise :)

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn't sound right to me. Buffer is 29 points. Rounding down net doubles is relevant to medal play, not stableford because a net double is a blob that is already accounted for in your score. You are 2 points shy of buffer by my maths. Was it Reductions only?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope, RO was the first thing I looked for. I thought it was a little strange as 29 pts was what I would have expected and rounding down was the only explanation I could come up with.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The handicap system doesn't work on stableford points, just strokes played. The nett double rule applies to all qualifying rounds regardless of whether it is stableford or medal.

And by making everything a nett double, that makes it equivalent to stableford, no? Pretty sure people on here have said that it is effectively done on stableford points, unless I misunderstood

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
The handicap system doesn't work on stableford points, just strokes played. The nett double rule applies to all qualifying rounds regardless of whether it is stableford or medal.

That would make sense. Although it was a Stableford I did complete all the holes and the two holes I assumed they rounded down were 2 par 4's where I had a shot and got 7's on them both.

So I shot a gross 93 rounded down to 91

CSS 74 + 3 (handicap buffer tolerance) + 14 (handicap) = 91

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That would make sense. Although it was a Stableford I did complete all the holes and the two holes I assumed they rounded down were 2 par 4's where I had a shot and got 7's on them both.

So I shot a gross 93 rounded down to 91

CSS 74 + 3 (handicap buffer tolerance) + 14 (handicap) = 91

But surely rounding the 93 to 91 means rounding the 7's to 6's? Wouldn't they then become gross doubles, not nett doubles? Fully accept im in the wrong here, I'm just trying to understand how it works!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

no the handicap system now turns everything into points in, so even in a medal with a pick up/NR on one hole you can still make buffer or even get a cut. Despite being out of the competition you are still supposed to carry on and play out the remaining holes

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the "Handicapmaster" website

I have returned a score outside buffer zone but my handicap has not changed. How is this possible?
Under some circumstances (when few nett scores in a competition are close to the Standard Scratch Score of the course or better) the Competition Scratch Score will be identified as "Reductions Only". Here, no increases of 0.1 may be applied to a handicap (although anyone returning a Nett Differential below zero will still have his handicap reduced!).