Malky Mackay

super hans

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Portsmouth :mmm:

In November 1914, Heart of Midlothian comfortably led the First Division,[SUP][19][/SUP] having started the 1914–15 season with eight straight victories, including a 2–0 defeat of reigning champions Celtic.[SUP][20][/SUP]
This streak coincided with the start of the First World War and the beginnings of a public debate upon the morality of continuing professional football while young soldiers were dying on the front-line. A motion was placed before the Scottish Football Association to postpone the season, with one of its backers, Airdrieonians chairman Thomas Forsyth declaring that "playing football while our men are fighting is repugnant".[SUP][21][/SUP] While this motion was defeated at the ballot box, with the SFA opting to wait for War Office advice, the noted East London philanthropist Frederick Charrington was orchestrating a public campaign to have professional football in Britain suspended, and achieving great popular support for his cause.[SUP][22][/SUP] The prime tactic of Charrington's campaign was to shame football players and officials into action through public and private denouncement. In response, sixteen players from Hearts enlisted in Sir George McCrae's new volunteer battalion, joining en masse on 25 November 1914. The battalion was to become the 16th Royal Scots and was the first to earn the "footballer's battalion" sobriquet. The group of volunteers also contained some 500 Hearts supporters and ticket-holders, 150 followers of Hibernian and a number of professionals footballers from Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dunfermline.[SUP][23][/SUP] Military training was thus added to the Hearts players football training regime, and the side had a 20 game unbeaten run between October and February.[SUP][24][/SUP] However, exhaustion from their army exertions, twice including 10-hour nocturnal-marches the night before a league game,[SUP][25][/SUP] eventually led to a drop in form, as several enlisted players missed key games. Defeats to St Mirren and Morton allowed Celtic to usurp the Maroons and eventually claim the league title by 4 points.[SUP][24][/SUP]
The war claimed the lives of seven first team players: Duncan Currie, John Allan, James Boyd, Tom Gracie, Ernest Ellis, James Speedie and Harry Wattie.[SUP][26][/SUP]
There are two war memorials to mark this period. The McCrae's Battalion Great War Memorial in Contalmaison and the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial in Haymarket, Edinburgh donated to the city by the club in 1922.[SUP][27][/SUP] The latter is currently in storage due to the Edinburgh Trams work.[SUP][28][/SUP] A further memorial commemorating the 1914 Hearts team has been proposed by the club.[SUP][29][/SUP] An annual pilgrimage is held by football supporters to Contalmaison every year,[SUP][30][/SUP][SUP][31][/SUP] whilst Hearts hold their memorial services at Haymarket[SUP][32][/SUP] or, whilst it is in storage, at Tynecastle Stadium.[SUP][33][/SUP]

D

Deleted member 15344

In November 1914, Heart of Midlothian comfortably led the First Division,[SUP][19][/SUP] having started the 1914–15 season with eight straight victories, including a 2–0 defeat of reigning champions Celtic.[SUP][20][/SUP]
This streak coincided with the start of the First World War and the beginnings of a public debate upon the morality of continuing professional football while young soldiers were dying on the front-line. A motion was placed before the Scottish Football Association to postpone the season, with one of its backers, Airdrieonians chairman Thomas Forsyth declaring that "playing football while our men are fighting is repugnant".[SUP][21][/SUP] While this motion was defeated at the ballot box, with the SFA opting to wait for War Office advice, the noted East London philanthropist Frederick Charrington was orchestrating a public campaign to have professional football in Britain suspended, and achieving great popular support for his cause.[SUP][22][/SUP] The prime tactic of Charrington's campaign was to shame football players and officials into action through public and private denouncement. In response, sixteen players from Hearts enlisted in Sir George McCrae's new volunteer battalion, joining en masse on 25 November 1914. The battalion was to become the 16th Royal Scots and was the first to earn the "footballer's battalion" sobriquet. The group of volunteers also contained some 500 Hearts supporters and ticket-holders, 150 followers of Hibernian and a number of professionals footballers from Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dunfermline.[SUP][23][/SUP] Military training was thus added to the Hearts players football training regime, and the side had a 20 game unbeaten run between October and February.[SUP][24][/SUP] However, exhaustion from their army exertions, twice including 10-hour nocturnal-marches the night before a league game,[SUP][25][/SUP] eventually led to a drop in form, as several enlisted players missed key games. Defeats to St Mirren and Morton allowed Celtic to usurp the Maroons and eventually claim the league title by 4 points.[SUP][24][/SUP]
The war claimed the lives of seven first team players: Duncan Currie, John Allan, James Boyd, Tom Gracie, Ernest Ellis, James Speedie and Harry Wattie.[SUP][26][/SUP]
There are two war memorials to mark this period. The McCrae's Battalion Great War Memorial in Contalmaison and the Heart of Midlothian War Memorial in Haymarket, Edinburgh donated to the city by the club in 1922.[SUP][27][/SUP] The latter is currently in storage due to the Edinburgh Trams work.[SUP][28][/SUP] A further memorial commemorating the 1914 Hearts team has been proposed by the club.[SUP][29][/SUP] An annual pilgrimage is held by football supporters to Contalmaison every year,[SUP][30][/SUP][SUP][31][/SUP] whilst Hearts hold their memorial services at Haymarket[SUP][32][/SUP] or, whilst it is in storage, at Tynecastle Stadium.[SUP][33][/SUP]

Cheers for that :thup:

Can recall something like that but it always brings a bit realism when you read it

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A NICE PIECE OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL HISTORY. :thup:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Graham Rix went on to manage the worlds bravest team after serving a prison sentence for having sex with a minor. Mackay will no doubt work again.....

Totally agree with this, especially as a convicted rapist (Ched Evans) and a goalkeeper that was convicted of killing two children while drink driving (Luke McCormick) have served prison sentences and have since returned to play or are close to returning to play professional football.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that the two cases mentioned are right but simply stating the facts.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My post was aimed longer for a more general view as opposed to just yours which im fully aware off.

I have spoken a few of my former colleagues above the border and not one would consider it racist

Phil I know exactly what you mean a very good friend of mine is from your end and I call him a Scouse bleep and tell him to get out of my country, he tells me to stop speaking his language. Yet were mates and have been out for meals with our partners. Where is the line?

Am I a racist? Is my mate a racist? Are we both racist?

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So its all right to crack racist/homophobic/xenophobic (whatever) kind of jokes as long as its between mates cos its not really discriminatory :confused:

As long as the lads can still be lads everything is OK then eh?

I stand by all i say above .. Ive cracked jokes i shouldnt , laughed at jokes maybe i shouldnt , passed comments re women i shouldnt ,

So u tell me then straight up , you have met me , drank with me and spent time in my company

Do you think im a racist or a sexist or a homophobe ?

Im asking you straight out and i wont be offended ,complain or report your honest reply

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I stand by all i say above .. Ive cracked jokes i shouldnt , laughed at jokes maybe i shouldnt , passed comments re women i shouldnt ,

So u tell me then straight up , you have met me , drank with me and spent time in my company

Im asking you straight out and i wont be offended ,complain or report your honest reply

I'll answer that Bill.......never in a year of Saturday's. I am surprised at Chris's and many others stances on here to be honest.

Many appear to have turned into Snow White overnight.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

If you have said done those thing then yes however anytime I have been in your company then you haven't acted like that. I am pretty sure at times I have done similar stuff to you it doesn't make it any different. Racist behaviour is racist behaviou whether intentional or not.

If you overheard a group of "lads" in the pub cracking racist/sexist/homophobic jokes would you think its all OK as its just "lads being lads"?

D

Deleted member 15344

If you have said done those thing then yes however anytime I have been in your company then you haven't acted like that. I am pretty sure at times I have done similar stuff to you it doesn't make it any different. Racist behaviour is racist behaviou whether intentional or not.

If you overheard a group of "lads" in the pub cracking racist/sexist/homophobic jokes would you think its all OK as its just "lads being lads"?

As i said earlier does someone laughing or cracking a racist joke whilst it is racist behaviour would you consider them a racist ?

Would some who cracked a joke about a female be a sexist ?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you are in the public eye you have to be whiter than white. MM was never going to get away with making those comments, especially in text messages.

Cardiff FC had no other option, they cannot be seen to endorse such comments so MM had to walk.

The thing is who is going to employ him now?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
And your stance is not what I remember of the time I spent with you a couple of years back.No sexism or lurid chat that weekend?

Maybe it's the Mod tag.

As I said Snow White comes to mind.

And you are not what I remember from a couple of years back seems to be pathetically fixating on the mod tag. :roll eyes:

I did say I had done similar stuff but it still doesn't make it right. Anyway I am out now just like you were last night :mad:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll answer that Bill.......never in a year of Saturday's. I am surprised at Chris's and many others stances on here to be honest.

Many appear to have turned into Snow White overnight.

Thanks Allan , not getting into the snow white discussion ha but i tell ya one thing (&not just this thread) im not sure im worthy of being a member of the forum .. id be afraid to use the term "let whoever has not sinned cast the first stone " on here coz from what it seem id be buried under a loada stone ha ha.. and if your brave/silly enough to admit doing anything you shouldnt boy golly watch out ..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Further reports of more texts coming out in regards derogatory words in regards Cardiffs chinese owner

But Garth Crooks has come out and said there must be room for redemption

I also didnt realise how poor the LMA's initial statement was - that is very unproffesional of them.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Had the pleasure of meeting you and your better half at the FoA and I can safely say amongst the all the banter flying around in the bar, on the course the following day, and at the presentation you were sound company which I enjoyed immensely (apart from the result of course). Like you I've laughed at these types of comments, made them myself too