Machrihanish Dunes Update for GM Trip

T

thecraw

Just a bit of information for the guys going to the Dunes at the end of the month. Keith at Machrihanish Dunes read my report on the forum and he doesn't dispute it, infact he has been very supportive off it and has taken the time to kindly email me yet again today with an update from todays work,

I wonder how many other course managers would take the time to do this? I would suggest a very very very small percentage!

Anyway here is a copy of the email I got today.

The main points from feedback over the last 2 years has been the length of the walk and the rough. The rough i think we are slowly resolving - as for the walk that is work in progress and we are working with Scottish Natural Heritage (as we are on a SSSI) very closely and trying were we can to shorten it. We have started an experiment of matting that the grass grows through to smooth the walk out a little. I think 8 has improved with the new green size (you will be on that green when you return see if it makes it any better) next winter our main job is to re-shape the 2nd fairway as it kicks balls left to much. Gonna possibly alter 13th green too? thoughts? and also id like to do something with the 16th green.

We have had a very good day today with the extra staff - all the course furniture/directional signs and rope/yardage markers and bins are now out! The 14th/8th greens have been completed and in front of the 3rd is now turfed. We have a squad patching fairways and walkways with turf and in fact we cut the new greens at 6mm today (summer height 4mm) and that has smartened them up no end! They were also double rolled and fertilized.

As for some of your concerns the 1st will better and puttable (maybe sandy though to smooth out - it is the green that is most weather dependent unfortunately but not giving up yet) surrounds off 6 we are gonna returf parts as some areas that were covered with sand are dead (should have this done by the end of week) the back of 16/13 and 4 lay under a foot of water for months and have come out of this looking weak - they don't worry me the grass is still there just black for now! they were fed today with Fert.

Will do our utmost to keep moans to a minimum (we have 70 golfers one day you are there) after today I'm more confident that we can achieve allot.

I think its quite clear we are being given the best attention possible and hope that you all appreciate the effort that is going in to making the course as playable as possible.

Not long now gents, fingers crossed for the weather.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good stuff mate. Fingers crossed.
I'm that optimistic I've just bought my first ever pair of golf sunglasses. :mad:

It will be a good weekend. :fore::cheers:

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clearly a fantastic effort is being put in by Keith and his team to ensure that the course is as near ready as possible, not only for us, but for the season ahead. Good work lads! :thup:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
A great reply there guys and just show how hard these guys are working to get the course right, it has in my eyes the potential to be a superb golf course. The enthusiam of the people involved is amazing they want it looking spot on. Its one of best welcomes we've had at any club and something maybe our club should take in as manners cost nothing.

Hope they get it sorted.

T

thecraw

Good stuff mate. Fingers crossed.
I'm that optimistic I've just bought my first ever pair of golf sunglasses. :mad:

It will be a good weekend. :fore::cheers:

Better make sure I've got my waterproofs then! Nowt surer than rain if you pack your sunnies!

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
yes you wouldnt get that off alot a clubs, take my hat off to him,were still gonna make the 900mile round trip cos if nowt else it should be a good laugh,the way my golf is at the minute good greens would be wasted on me