Low ball flight fixes

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tend to have a very low ball flight with my mid irons, i.e. 7-5. Occasionally I manage to get a nice high flight, but most of the time, it starts low and rises gently before coming down and rolling out. In the summer this is fine as it means I get quite a bit of roll, but in the winter I'm losing up to 50-60 yards.

Can anyone give me some tips for getting a high ball flight?

I rarely have this problem with the shorter irons (although obviously it still happens sometimes). Should I have a slightly wider stance, or move the ball forward a little more perhaps?

I appreciate this is difficult without seeing my swing etc, but any general tips appreciated.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One obvious question - why do you think you'd hit the ball further in winter if you hit it higher. Bit confused over that logic

Anyway - I have always had a low ball flight. But over the last few weeks I've tried imagining I am opening the clubface through my backswing. And no matter how much or how little I actually am doing this - my ball flight is definitely higher (and I also get a much better and more consistent strike)

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One obvious question - why do you think you'd hit the ball further in winter if you hit it higher. Bit confused over that logic

Anyway - I have always had a low ball flight. But over the last few weeks I've tried imagining I am opening the clubface through my backswing. And no matter how much or how little I actually am doing this - my ball flight is definitely higher (and I also get a much better and more consistent strike)

Because the carry will be longer.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because the carry will be longer.

Will it? And even if it does carry longer (and I'm not sure that follows) then surely coming down from a greater height it'll come down steeper and therefore will stop quicker. I'm finding I am actually hitting it further but not I think because I am hitting it higher - more that I am hitting it better.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will it? And even if it does carry longer (and I'm not sure that follows) then surely coming down from a greater height it'll come down steeper and therefore will stop quicker. I'm finding I am actually hitting it further but not I think because I am hitting it higher - more that I am hitting it better.

Yes.

In the summer I was hitting my 7 iron a total of 180 yards regularly (when struck well). That was about 130 yards carry and 50 yards of bounce and roll. If I managed to get a nice high ball flight I'd get to a shade under 200 total. It only happened about 2 times all summer though.

In the winter that same 7 iron is going about 120 yards carry and rolling about 10 or so. On the very odd occasion I get hold of it and get a nice high ball flight, I'm getting about 150 yards carry and perhaps 5 or so yards of roll. It's a significant difference.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dunno - I'm still inclined to think that when you hit the ball high it is as a result of a better strike and as a result you see better distance. As I mentioned - I got this result by imagining myself opening the clubface on the backswing. I think this actually has enabled me to do a better and fuller turn and create more torque in my body this creates greater clubhead speed and maybe a better angle of approach to the strike. I think i have been holding the clubhead relatively 'square' and not rotating my hips as much as I should on the backswing - and I was hitting a low draw.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That feeling of opening the face on the way back is likely to be square relative to your body.

When you thought you were keeping it square to the ball you more than likely were putting it in a shut position causing that low hook.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dunno - I'm still inclined to think that when you hit the ball high it is as a result of a better strike and as a result you see better distance. As I mentioned - I got this result by imagining myself opening the clubface on the backswing. I think this actually has enabled me to do a better and fuller turn and create more torque in my body this creates greater clubhead speed and maybe a better angle of approach to the strike. I think i have been holding the clubhead relatively 'square' and not rotating my hips as much as I should on the backswing - and I was hitting a low draw.

Possibly, but either way, higher flight = better distance. Whether that is a by product of a better strike I don't mind. I just want to replicate it and thus get some tips for a higher flight.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes.

In the summer I was hitting my 7 iron a total of 180 yards regularly (when struck well). That was about 130 yards carry and 50 yards of bounce and roll. If I managed to get a nice high ball flight I'd get to a shade under 200 total. It only happened about 2 times all summer though.

In the winter that same 7 iron is going about 120 yards carry and rolling about 10 or so. On the very odd occasion I get hold of it and get a nice high ball flight, I'm getting about 150 yards carry and perhaps 5 or so yards of roll. It's a significant difference.

50yards of roll with a 7iron??!!

What are you doing? Blading it??

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
so get the ball up there has to be a good degree of 'down' in the through swing with low point target side of the ball.
& you need spin on the ball to get it airborne & stay in the air, through center strike with some 'speed' - AoA/dynamic loft/launch angle etc.

couple things worth thinking over - posture - too upright spine angle (so not enough forwards lean from the hips) plus a little ways too much bend in the knees - the swing then can work 'around' a ways too much so too shallow angle of attack - not enough down into impact, some fats but also then the strike can being happening to much on the up no not solid contact at optimum speed.

another would be are the hands/wrists setting good to give you the 90º angle in the backswing that will help both with the right plane & also the lever you need to help create speed. if wrists not functioning in the right ways the angle between left arm & shaft is too obtuse so no real starting to 'store' energy in the backswing too release through impact.

also if the angle (90º) is being created so there atop the swing, does the sequence of weight & motion start down the right ways to 'keep' the angle to release the stored energy at the correct moment through impact hands leading a forwards leaning shaft so ball then turf.
or is that angle being thrown aways too soon so the angles- stored energy- gone arms & shaft come through more in straight line condition with not enough 'down' or speed.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Merge with my swing please.

Ha! Shame we don't live closer. Perhaps you could have given me some tips and vice-versa!

Try finishing with the weight on the inside of the front foot

Will give it a go. Any drills you can suggest?

so get the ball up there has to be a good degree of 'down' in the through swing with low point target side of the ball.
& you need spin on the ball to get it airborne & stay in the air, through center strike with some 'speed' - AoA/dynamic loft/launch angle etc.

couple things worth thinking over - posture - too upright spine angle (so not enough forwards lean from the hips) plus a little ways too much bend in the knees - the swing then can work 'around' a ways too much so too shallow angle of attack - not enough down into impact, some fats but also then the strike can being happening to much on the up no not solid contact at optimum speed.

another would be are the hands/wrists setting good to give you the 90º angle in the backswing that will help both with the right plane & also the lever you need to help create speed. if wrists not functioning in the right ways the angle between left arm & shaft is too obtuse so no real starting to 'store' energy in the backswing too release through impact.

also if the angle (90º) is being created so there atop the swing, does the sequence of weight & motion start down the right ways to 'keep' the angle to release the stored energy at the correct moment through impact hands leading a forwards leaning shaft so ball then turf.
or is that angle being thrown aways too soon so the angles- stored energy- gone arms & shaft come through more in straight line condition with not enough 'down' or speed.

Thanks Coach. Kind of helps me visualise what I need to change, so can work on that. Can you recommend any drills for that sequence though?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes.

Something is majorly wrong and I'd see a pro, how can you possibly play par 3 and approach shots with that amount of uncontrollability