Looking for some new irons

Zig

Visit site
So, given all the understandable doom and gloom at the minute, I'm looking to trade my irons in for a new set to get me excited for the new season (which watching The Masters on TV normally does in fairness). Just looking for something to lighten the mood a bit!

Was wondering what everyone plays/any advice? I'm open to all suggestions, know I'm not good enough for blades, and don't need them to be the latest shiny thing either.

Member of a (very) windy links. Currently play i200s with XP stiff. Ave stats: 7 iron around 80mph/110 ball speed, approx 150 carry.

D

Deleted member 23270

I have i210's which are excellent but before I bought them I watched quite a few reviews on YouTube. Most reviewers said that whilst they were excellent they weren't a huge step up from i200's. So you already have great clubs but if you just fancy a change then be careful because you might end up with something no better than what you already have ?

Zig

Visit site
I have i210's which are excellent but before I bought them I watched quite a few reviews on YouTube. Most reviewers said that whilst they were excellent they weren't a huge step up from i200's. So you already have great clubs but if you just fancy a change then be careful because you might end up with something no better than what you already have ?

Thanks for replying. Hope you're enjoying the i210s.

Haha - have made that mistake before too - thanks for the reminder. Had a set of MP32 years ago and loved them... switched just for a bit of a change and have never found a set of irons I've liked as much since.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I bought a new Tefal one, certainly an upgrade on the old one and even the wife seems pleased, think I only paid about £60 as well.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So, given all the understandable doom and gloom at the minute, I'm looking to trade my irons in for a new set to get me excited for the new season (which watching The Masters on TV normally does in fairness). Just looking for something to lighten the mood a bit!

Was wondering what everyone plays/any advice? I'm open to all suggestions, know I'm not good enough for blades, and don't need them to be the latest shiny thing either.

Member of a (very) windy links. Currently play i200s with XP stiff. Ave stats: 7 iron around 80mph/110 ball speed, approx 150 carry.

I went from i200 to i500. Which while they are "blades" they're more game improvement than the i200/210.

Love them.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Visit site
I went from i200 to i500. Which while they are "blades" they're more game improvement than the i200/210.

Love them.

That's great to know thanks... have seen them and they look great. I've had little peak at some used ones on golfbidder but it's hard to find a standard set that aren'tlonger/shorter upright/flat etc.

Good luck with them this season!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That's great to know thanks... have seen them and they look great. I've had little peak at some used ones on golfbidder but it's hard to find a standard set that aren'tlonger/shorter upright/flat etc.

Good luck with them this season!

I doubt I'll be playing this season until Covid 19 is away.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It makes me sad when people say "I'm not good enough for blades".

They might cost you a shot or two a round if you're not striking it well but if you enjoy your golf more by playing blades then what's the problem?

Your handicap might go up a shot or two but so what?

Zig

Visit site
Try and hit as many as you can especially while shops and ranges are open.
Thanks for the advice ;) A bit embarrassed to ask to be honest at somewhere like AG (wouldn't have a problem with a club from one set, bit more than that???).

Pro at our club only has Ping... so I guess I could fire away with their current line up.

Zig

Visit site

They might cost you a shot or two a round if you're not striking it well but if you enjoy your golf more by playing blades then what's the problem?

Thanks for the reply. I loved my MP32s.... stopped playing for a bit (two young kids!) and then got AP2s for a bit more forgiveness. Then i200s. Not sure my ball striking is consistent enough to go for a blade - maybe should have said that I'll only enjoy golf more if my h/cap goes down rather than up. (Though you can't beat the (non) feeling of a ball coming of the centre of a mizuno - reminiscing here!!!)
Thx again!

Zig

Visit site
Not long had a callaway apex/apex Pro combo set. Love them!

Are they the 19 version - looked at some reviews after your post and they seem to be getting a lot of love on review pages! Do they stop quick enough on the greens (some saying about bit less spin?)

RangeMonkey

Visit site

I’m starting to think I might agree.

I always thought I was taking up golf to be the best I can be, and I’d take every advantage, no matter what.

But now I’ve been out on course a few times, the score is becoming secondary to the experience.

I took my MP-32 to the range again yesterday, and again, only about 10% more shots were poor, when compared to the percentage of shots I hit poorly with my cavities. The outcome was probably worse than with a cavity, but I start to think the joy of the feel, and flight of the ball are worth it.

(It’s a 9i, not an 8 by the way, for those who saw the other thread).

I have a six on the way, and if I can hit that anywhere half decent, I’ll seriously consider a full set, as a second set for fun.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for the advice ;) A bit embarrassed to ask to be honest at somewhere like AG (wouldn't have a problem with a club from one set, bit more than that???).

Pro at our club only has Ping... so I guess I could fire away with their current line up.

If you want to dip your toe in the blade waters, you could always look at the 2nd hand retailers. Plenty of good old models (not sure you'd go far wrong with any of the old Mizuno range) and some like Golfbidder offer a 7 day return policy and also brands like Mizuno do hold a bit of re-sale value compared to some other brand

Zig

Visit site
If you want to dip your toe in the blade waters, you could always look at the 2nd hand retailers. Plenty of good old models (not sure you'd go far wrong with any of the old Mizuno range) and some like Golfbidder offer a 7 day return policy and also brands like Mizuno do hold a bit of re-sale value compared to some other brand
Hadn't thought about the 7 day return.... great idea, thank you!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are they the 19 version - looked at some reviews after your post and they seem to be getting a lot of love on review pages! Do they stop quick enough on the greens (some saying about bit less spin?)

The spin numbers were good on the trackman... not fully used them on rock hard greens yet... can’t see. That happening any time soon ??