Looking for some new irons

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice ;) A bit embarrassed to ask to be honest at somewhere like AG (wouldn't have a problem with a club from one set, bit more than that???).

Pro at our club only has Ping... so I guess I could fire away with their current line up.
Just had a fitting at ping .
Came away with I210 but with a much lighter shaft XP95 .
Never had ping irons before but they are so much better than they used to be .
I am hitting them great so don’t just change for the sake of it.
Maybe just a change of shaft is nessesary.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Visit site
Just had a fitting at ping .
Came away with I210 but with a much lighter shaft XP95 .
Never had ping irons before but they are so much better than they used to be .
I am hitting them great so don’t just change for the sake of it.
Maybe just a change of shaft is nessesary.
I have the same shaft!!!

To be honest, had a bit of a reality check this morning. I've been hitting it really well the last few weeks; today I played like a complete duffer, and it wouldn't have mattered what I had in my hands in fairness!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the same shaft!!!

To be honest, had a bit of a reality check this morning. I've been hitting it really well the last few weeks; today I played like a complete duffer, and it wouldn't have mattered what I had in my hands in fairness!
Better the devil you know.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
It makes me sad when people say "I'm not good enough for blades".

They might cost you a shot or two a round if you're not striking it well but if you enjoy your golf more by playing blades then what's the problem?

Your handicap might go up a shot or two but so what?
I fail to see how getting your handicap up a shot of two is going to make anyone enjoy their golf more, unless they have an ulterior motive and we know what that is, every club has them.
Quite a few clubs on the market now that look like blades with the forgiveness of cavity backs.
Many of the pros now have mixed bags rather than all blades.
I can't for the life of me understand how a higher score is more enjoyable, might as well throw a 7 degree driver with a X stiff longer shaft in the bag, should guarantee a few shots more.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Play the clubs which you like and allow you to play the game to the best standard you can. Theres no enjoyment on kidding yourself on with a heel shaft old school blade putter when you putt better with a face balanced model. Same goes with pure blades, if you struggle to hit anything below an 8 iron dont use them, if you cant hit a 3 wood dont carry one. You will enjoy the game more shooting lower scores, afterall that is the point of the game isnt it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I fail to see how getting your handicap up a shot of two is going to make anyone enjoy their golf more, unless they have an ulterior motive and we know what that is, every club has them.
Quite a few clubs on the market now that look like blades with the forgiveness of cavity backs.
Many of the pros now have mixed bags rather than all blades.
I can't for the life of me understand how a higher score is more enjoyable, might as well throw a 7 degree driver with a X stiff longer shaft in the bag, should guarantee a few shots more.

Play the clubs which you like and allow you to play the game to the best standard you can. Theres no enjoyment on kidding yourself on with a heel shaft old school blade putter when you putt better with a face balanced model. Same goes with pure blades, if you struggle to hit anything below an 8 iron dont use them, if you cant hit a 3 wood dont carry one. You will enjoy the game more shooting lower scores, afterall that is the point of the game isnt it.

If the enjoyment you get from golf is directly related to your score/handicap then much of what you say is true.

I enjoy playing blades, I believe that they make you a better ball striker and they definitely give me more enjoyment than hitting the latest Ping/TaylorMade/Mizuno/Callaway/etc. forgiving shovel.

If anybody is kidding themselves then it's today's players believing that they're better players than they actually are when it's really the technology in their equipment covering their shortcomings and adding distance to their shots.

A higher score in itself isn't enjoyable and I never suggested it was, only that I'm not too concerned if I score a couple more shots than I would playing the latest and greatest GI stuff.
Obsessing with their score seems to ruin many peoples golfing experience.

I don't give a stuff what Pros carry in their bags these days.

ferenezejohn, I was disappointed that you insinuated I might be sandbagging.
I have a passion for golf history and vintage clubs, this extends to collecting old clubs from hickory up to the mid 1980s. Wooden woods, bladed irons and mostly blade putters.
Playing these clubs gives me great enjoyment, I understand that I'm very much in the minority and that most people want to hit the ball as far as possible, shoot as low a score as possible and hopefully win prizes.

The reason I do it isn't to get my handicap up in order to win prizes etc but because I enjoy it.

Up until 2 or 3 years ago I played modern clubs in all competitions but was keen to try vintage clubs in a competition. I quickly realised that this would affect my handicap and if I started switching between modern and old I could potentially gain an advantage so I made the decision to only play vintage clubs, my handicap would adjust accordingly and I could compete without having an unfair advantage.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If the enjoyment you get from golf is directly related to your score/handicap then much of what you say is true.

I enjoy playing blades, I believe that they make you a better ball striker and they definitely give me more enjoyment than hitting the latest Ping/TaylorMade/Mizuno/Callaway/etc. forgiving shovel.

If anybody is kidding themselves then it's today's players believing that they're better players than they actually are when it's really the technology in their equipment covering their shortcomings and adding distance to their shots.

A higher score in itself isn't enjoyable and I never suggested it was, only that I'm not too concerned if I score a couple more shots than I would playing the latest and greatest GI stuff.

I have a passion for golf history and vintage clubs, this extends to collecting old clubs from hickory up to the mid 1980s. Wooden woods, bladed irons and mostly blade putters.
Playing these clubs gives me great enjoyment, I understand that I'm very much in the minority and that most people want to hit the ball as far as possible, shoot as low a score as possible and hopefully win prizes.

The reason I do it isn't to get my handicap up in order to win prizes etc but because I enjoy it.

Up until 2 or 3 years ago I played modern clubs in all competitions but was keen to try vintage clubs in a competition. I quickly realised that this would affect my handicap and if I started switching between modern and old I could potentially gain an advantage so I made the decision to only play vintage clubs, my handicap would adjust accordingly and I could compete without having an unfair advantage.
My enjoyment of golf is directly related to my score which is directly related to how I'm hitting it, how often im getting up and down and how well im putting. I'm good enough to play blades and actually benefit from the added control they give me but when im older and can no longer swing a 6 iron at 95 mph then I'll probably have to play something that launches higher in the long irons as I wont benefit from using a blade in a 3 or 4 & 5 iron. I'd also probably have to look at dropping a 3 wood and using a 4 or 5 wood instead. I learned to play the game with pure blades and more or less have always used them or a very small cavity back but I wouldn't be making the game unnecessarily hard for myself if I didn't need to

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My enjoyment of golf is directly related to my score which is directly related to how I'm hitting it, how often im getting up and down and how well im putting. I'm good enough to play blades and actually benefit from the added control they give me but when im older and can no longer swing a 6 iron at 95 mph then I'll probably have to play something that launches higher in the long irons as I wont benefit from using a blade in a 3 or 4 & 5 iron. I'd also probably have to look at dropping a 3 wood and using a 4 or 5 wood instead. I learned to play the game with pure blades and more or less have always used them or a very small cavity back but I wouldn't be making the game unnecessarily hard for myself if I didn't need to

No problem with that, we get our enjoyment in different ways.

ferenezejohn

Visit site

I was not insinuating you personally were massaging your handicap, just pointing out it goes on.
Players get better because they work at their game, sure modern technology mainly stronger lofts enable more distance, but if one can't grasp the fundamental and get a repeatable swing that works for them then their only going to hit it further into the rough.

As you state you enjoy how you play the game, and that's all that matters.

I just hope my partner in the 2 ball better ball doesn't turn up with a set of hickories ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want to dip your toe in the blade waters, you could always look at the 2nd hand retailers. Plenty of good old models (not sure you'd go far wrong with any of the old Mizuno range) and some like Golfbidder offer a 7 day return policy and also brands like Mizuno do hold a bit of re-sale value compared to some other brand
That's another healthy bit of commission for you, have they got on payroll yet? :D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have these as well, i have swapped out a couple of the wedges from the standard set for MD4s, and i'm in no rush to upgrade.

I use the standard pitching wedge that came with the set but added MD3 wedges (52 & 58). They have also been really good. I'm just looking to update them at the moment, much as I like them, I may not go with Callaway wedges, not because they are no good, but my lad reckons the Cleveland RTX4 or Vokey's are better wedges. I'll be trying them all to see which I like better.