longest round ever

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You sitting down?

6 hours.... yep, six loooooong hours!!!

every time we got to a hole following a par 3 or short par 4 there were no less than 3 groups waiting to tee off in front of us. Complaints were made by many tired, fed up and bored golfers, but the pro wasn't interested as he justified the slow play saying that's how long he sometimes takes in a comp!

Apparantly, he did warn a group about slow play, but then didn't do anything about it!!!

it was on the Lynedoch Course at Murrayshall. It's only just over 5,100 yards! and the greens where terrible.

What's your longest round?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played a few months ago and it was about 5 hours, I lost the will to play. No sooner had you got a good run going, you were waiting to tee off, waiting to approach etc. Nothing worse than planning a shot, having to play it over and over in your head for 5 minutes whilst waiting and then missing the green left right and long.

And because its a comp the golden oldies think they dont have to let anyone through!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
We had the same thing this weekend at our course, waiting on every hole and each shot, it just destroys any flow uyou get going. Shot a net 71 :( due to it.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but I beat 6 hours by 20 minutes. 2 years ago playing Royal Portrush. 6 hours 20 mintues. The weather was awefull but that is no excuse for slow play. I had lost the will to live by the 15th. We complained to the golfing union and all they said was "what can we do"!
Far to long, even 5 hours is pushing it.

I spoke to a 4ball on saturday about slow play, and all they said was "that they looked slow because the guys infront were only a 3 ball"! Yeah right
Everyone has an answer. People think 4 hours is the norm, even if their first on the course.

I watched a guy last night putting on our 12th green, I thought he was in a major. He walked up and down, all round the line of putt got down behind the ball then took what seemed like 10 practise putts. HE MISSED, the putt was about 6 feet.
I blame TV, clearly this guy had sat in his house on Sunday afternoon watching the Seve trophy then thought he'd have a go.
Why do people take 5+ practise swings on every shot? I'd be knackered by the 9th. One swing for each shot should be enough for anyone, even the pro's.

What makes me laugh is the higher handicappers waiting on a green to clear, from about 200+yrds out. Take 4 swings then duff it 30 yrds infront of them. LOL, sorry but that really makes me laugh. Then they wonder what they did wrong.
Oh Please, have they never heard of fishing?
Got me smiling last night aswell---------------watched 2 ladies walk through our car park, They had about 2 grands worth of kit.
£300 trollies
£100+ bags
£500+ clubs
shall I go on
All I ask is
WHY?

sorry that turned into a rant.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Played a few years ago at the UK Corporate games in Swindon (Ogborne Downs). Great course but with a large field all new to the course it was always going to be slow. Well over 5 hours for 18 holes playing in 3-balls. I was out fairly early and I heard some of the later groups were taking 6 hours. Weather was superb though so if it had to be slow at least it was still enjoyable.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What makes me laugh is the higher handicappers waiting on a green to clear, from about 200+yrds out. Take 4 swings then duff it 30 yrds infront of them. LOL, sorry but that really makes me laugh.

Maybe I misunderstand.

Would you be ok with a ball from 200yds away landing on a green you were putting on, if he said "sorry mate, I play off 24 and only hit them like that 2 out of 10 times". ?

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
feel your pain just over 5 hours for us yesterday.. And ended up was only 2 of us finshed.. the other two guys walked at the 13th after about 4 hours lol..

Really is a nightmare.. We headed out after a outting of 51 men..

Enough to make you want to join another club.

SandyBalls

Club Champion
Visit site
What makes me laugh is the higher handicappers waiting on a green to clear, from about 200+yrds out. Take 4 swings then duff it 30 yrds infront of them. LOL, sorry but that really makes me laugh.

Maybe I misunderstand.

Would you be ok with a ball from 200yds away landing on a green you were putting on, if he said "sorry mate, I play off 24 and only hit them like that 2 out of 10 times". ?

Clubchamp is very insistent that anyone who isnt a clubchamp should be fishing instead. Of course he has never hit a duff shot!!

SandyBalls

Club Champion
Visit site
Got me smiling last night aswell---------------watched 2 ladies walk through our car park, They had about 2 grands worth of kit.
£300 trollies
£100+ bags
£500+ clubs
shall I go on
All I ask is
WHY?

Had you not thought that maybe they might be quite good? Even if they are not very good it doesn't preclude them from having good equipment. I suppose you play with your great grandfathers old hand me downs and some top flites you scraped out of the woods?

Oh no - thought not!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I entered a 36 hole open at Princes Golf Club a few years ago. Medal.
I was playing with scratch and low handicapped golfers who were waiting for greens to clear on par 4's whilst they were stood on the bloody tee!!
First round wasn't far short of six hours, I walked off halfway through the second round, couldn't take anymore.
It was about 6 o'clock in the evening and we still had 9 holes left to play and there must have been at least a dozen fourballs behind us who were in the same dilemna

iwtuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Maybe I misunderstand.

Clubchamp is very insistent that anyone who isnt a clubchamp should be fishing instead. Of course he has never hit a duff shot!!

As a high handicapper, I find Clubchamp's patience with those in a similar position to me, to be very accomodating -it really inspires me to go out and play more in the hope I can meet like-minded people who encourage the less talented of us golfers.... :D

DCB

Visit site
As the good book says, "let ye who is without sin cast the first stone"

we're all guilty of the problems that occur on the course regarding the pace of play. The slow guys (what is the reference point ?) hold back the fast guys. The fast guys push on a bit, making the slow guys even slower due to the pressure of being forced to go faster. The fast guys get even more cheesed off.......

Just remember, your place on the course is just behind the game in front, not just in front of the group behind ;)

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
You must have been extremely unlucky. The Lynedoch is normally deserted. Even Monthly Medals only attract around four entrants.
Last Saturday I phoned the pro at 6pm for a tee time the following morning I was told there was no need to book, just turn up.
As you say, the greens were hollow tined last week. This is unfortunate, but the price you have to pay for full greens all year round on a hilly parkland course.

DMC

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the only time i have a 6 hour round is during our Silloth,and we all know its going to happen,the committee know,and the pro knows,yet nothing is ever done about it.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Sigh, here we go again.

Because CC is a low handicapper and obviously (as his name suggests) a very accomplished golfer) High handicappers have no place on the course and are suitable targets for ridicule. :mad:

Well I happen to be a high handicapper and take offence at some of your comments. I pay the same club subs as the scratch golfers at my club which gives me just as much right to play there as they do.
I do try and keep up with the group in front at all times and am not averse to calling through following groups should I have slowed up (lost ball perhaps though not necessarily mine. Could be my regular partner who plays off 10.... is that low enough?)

A bad reply matey, a bad reply! :mad:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Maybe I misunderstand.

Totally agree. Sounds like he needs to be hit in the face with a few shots whilst he's putting out, that might make him wish they'd waited.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I was playing with scratch and low handicapped golfers who were waiting for greens to clear on par 4's whilst they were stood on the bloody tee!!
I hit a par4 at Sundridge with a driver (ended up at the back of the green and made a two putt birdie). I make NO apologies for being able to hit it long off the tee. I prefer to wait than kill someone.

I've seen a couple of people hit with golfballs and it ain't pretty, one woman who was about 70 was completely floored and even SNAPPED her arm in the fall to the floor

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you can carry to a green (or near as dammit) then obviously you wait, but how about this one as I never know what to do.

There is 1 par 4 at my place that if I hit a good drive and get a nice bounce, I can trickle the ball onto the green.
It's never going to hurt anyone if I reach but is it rude or bad etiquette? Should I wait?

I wouldn't particularly want a ball rolling onto the green whilst I'm putting, but I feel a pratt waiting if I then don't hit a good one.