longest round ever

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I wouldn't particularly want a ball rolling onto the green whilst I'm putting, but I feel a pratt waiting if I then don't hit a good one.

Think you've answered your own question.
Its not going to hurt anyone but it is bad etiquette

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
definitely poor etiquette, but sod's law says that you wait and then top it.

it's more often the second shot that worries me, I know I can wait until I have enough grass for the drive but as I have been smoking the irons on occasion lately I feel duty bound to give the game ahead some breathing space. unfortunately those behind don't see it that way. maybe I should let them through then keep as close to them as they think I should be to others.

that's very often the problem though, it is 'on occasion' and they don't always see it.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you can carry to a green (or near as dammit) then obviously you wait, but how about this one as I never know what to do.

There is 1 par 4 at my place that if I hit a good drive and get a nice bounce, I can trickle the ball onto the green.
It's never going to hurt anyone if I reach but is it rude or bad etiquette? Should I wait?

I wouldn't particularly want a ball rolling onto the green whilst I'm putting, but I feel a pratt waiting if I then don't hit a good one.

Personally I'd wait until the green is clear. If you subsequently smack it into the trees then you simply call through the group behind whilst you are looking for it. If you hit a nice drive then you are on your merry way to an eagle or probable birdie.

Simples* :p

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wasn't talking about par 4's at just on (or over) 300 yards. These blokes were waiting for greens to clear that were the best part of 400 yards away!!
Into the wind.....
Knobs (them, not you)

;)

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Waiting for every green to clear does not result in a 6hr+ round of golf, especially on a relatively short course, it takes much more than this, usually a combination of factors.
a) Volume of players/groups b)walking pace of slowest groups c)frequency of ball searching. d)poor etiquette and poor play-thru methods e) player ignorance/arrogance/selfishness. f) Time consuming activity on greens. g)Nattering when play should be going on, and many many many more minor irritating activities that add up to wasted time, this and pushy rushy golfers who cant wait to do what they do on the roads, rush into that one lane closure and get as close to the cones and the back of others as they all try to get 12 cars in one car gap just before coliding with the cones then bringing everyone to a halt, when moments earlier everyone was frustrated but moving!

Pace of play is a complicated problem that is hard if not impossible to fix, however, if you find yourself playing 6 hr rounds on a regular basis, dont use the club where it happens, they will soon get the message at the till and you can be certain that if any club starts losing money as a result of slow play, things will change, though it will ironically take time.

Good money making clubs have a strict approach to pace of play and have marshals making sure its kept to, not really to make golfers happy but to get more golfers out there in a day, a case where money makes the time go down. ;)

Personally any club that has regular 6 hr rounds of golf is a pretty crap club and should be avoided as there is obviously little concern for everyones enjoyment and even less concern for reputation or money making benefit. Dont use them I say. ;) :p

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the problems with this particular course, especially for visiting players, is the number of blind holes and hazards that cannot be seen from the tee. The first is a severe dogleg right that requires no more than a mid iron off the tee. Nearly every visitor I have seen uses a driver and subsequently puts the ball out of bounds. The second shot is over a gully through a narrow gap and requires a demanding shot.
The second hole has a hidden gully 20 yards short of the green which catches a lot of players out.
The fifth and seventh holes require a lay-up with a mid iron to give a chance and the fifteenth is nearly immpossible to play with a driver.
All these factors can make for a long round for those who are not familiar with the course and the knock-on effect when it is busy is a long round. :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its taken 5+ hours on laocal munis like Downshire, Pine Ridge and Blue Mountain. That is partly down to trying to squeeze as many green fees as possible onto the course but also down in part to alack of education in course ettiqutte. A lot of these players are new players or maybe irregularly playing high handicappers but there seems to be no willing to let obviously more accomplished groups through.

I think its great that these guys are out there. We all started somewhere and the Downshire in particular is a great track. I have nothing against new golfers getting out and playing as they are the future of the game. Somehow though we need to get the message across about waving groups through etc.

Its not just munis though. I've played competitions at my own club which have taken 3 1/2 hours (in threes) which is totally unacceptable. Like other places we have holes that are reachable off the tee and several par 5's that for some are easily in reach and I'm all in favour of waiting in those situations. I'm not even too upset when the guy waiting then makes a hash of it as I'd be hacked off in a competition to have balls coming onto the green if I was putting out.

I've no magic wand for solving it but there has to be something done soon

julsk10

Head Pro
Visit site
I played Christy O'Connor course in Galway about 7/8 years ago with one of my mates. We were down staying the weekend with relative partners so while the ladies went shopping we decided to play a round of golf, allowing ourselves five hours which we thought would be enough time for a visit to the 19th. 5 hours later we had to walk of the course after finishing the 11th, talk about a waste of a day, and about £60.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
6 hours at Torrey Pines in San Diego.

Last 3 holes played in dark, and last, par 5 of 480 or 490 played with 3 x 6 iron using lights from the car park and clubhouse.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
CliveW, is the 15th the par 4 that goes a long way down hill?

We all went for it, after being told by someone else waiting, that even the pros don't pull their drivers out there. one of our four ball drove to 3 feet past the pin... great shot and reward worth the risk. Cracking hole.

Some of the views from the Lynedoch were amazing... just as well as we had a lot of time to take them in!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
CliveW, is the 15th the par 4 that goes a long way down hill?

We all went for it, after being told by someone else waiting, that even the pros don't pull their drivers out there. one of our four ball drove to 3 feet past the pin... great shot and reward worth the risk. Cracking hole.

Some of the views from the Lynedoch were amazing... just as well as we had a lot of time to take them in!

That's the one. Normally the play is a 6/7 iron to the right hand side of thepine tree and then a wedge to the green. ;)

P5090036-1.jpg