Longer Par 3’s / Club choice

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good man. You know the Titleists make sense. I'm a CB man for life now, but if I was to change it'd be CB 5-7 & MB 8-PW.

I had 714 ap2s and never really hit them any better than any older mbs I've had.

Decided to go back to the mb. May aswel play what I like the look of and enjoy chipping with.

D

Deleted member 21258

Anything from a 9 wood to 7 wood to 5 wood, depending on length. Nice high flights and fairly soft landing.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I’d probably swing a bit harder with a 7iron than hit a soft 6.
I have been know to hit a gap wedge that far...I only need to hit it 110 yards though 🤦🏻‍♂️

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all,

As a little background I am pretty new to the game of golf, only starting last summer.
Average round for me is in the mid 90’s but feel I am improving all the time.

I am now driving the ball pretty consistently and happy with my ball striking with lower (7) iron down and wedges.

My local course has 2 longish par 3’s at roughly 180 yards each off the yellows.
I am really struggling with these 2 holes and I’m looking at a potential new purchase to use off the tee on these holes and from the fairway on longer par 4’s.

If you have or have had this issue before and struggle to pure your 5 iron what do you use?
Thinking hybrid, GAPR, etc?
I would suggest as everyone else has, looking at a hybrid. Very versatile, not only for long par threes but also out of the rough.

The thing to remember though is sometimes a four isn't a disaster. If you have (get) a proper handicap you'll get a shot on these as the stroke index will probably be reasonably low so you don't have to go flat out to hit the green or worry if you don't. Make a four and walk on. If you try and push too hard you'll hit poorer shots and potentially end up in bigger trouble

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s so far.
Currently I have nothing between my 3 wood and 4 iron but I really do struggle with the the 4 and 5 irons so essentially don’t have a decent shot between 3 wood and 6 iron.

7 iron for me is around 145-150.

On the basis of that (assuming a 15 yard difference in each iron)

a 6 should give you 160-175
a 5 should give 175- 190

However when you start to go to longer clubs the difference may be less that 10 yards between clubs because the stroke is not as good.

For me a replacement for a 4 iron in a hybrid is 23 degree.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s so far.
Currently I have nothing between my 3 wood and 4 iron but I really do struggle with the the 4 and 5 irons so essentially don’t have a decent shot between 3 wood and 6 iron.

7 iron for me is around 145-150.

If the hole is 180 and you are shooting mid 90's you are getting at least one shot on that hole. If you can hit a 7 iron 145-150 I would be going with a 6 iron. If your not struggling with a six iron that is. 160 yd forward. A dink onto the green. Minimum/ Maximum two putts and no damage on your card.
Trust me ,playing off a 20 plus handicap there are not many that can hit a 180 yd par three in one on a regular basis.
But you deffo need to close the gap in your clubs between irons and 3 wood. 👍

AdamC28

Visit site
Some really good reply’s thank you.
I’m going to look into a hybrid to fit between my 3 wood and irons but continue to work on striking my longer irons better.

If the hole is 180 and you are shooting mid 90's you are getting at least one shot on that hole. If you can hit a 7 iron 145-150 I would be going with a 6 iron. If your not struggling with a six iron that is. 160 yd forward. A dink onto the green. Minimum/ Maximum two putts and no damage on your card.
Trust me ,playing off a 20 plus handicap there are not many that can hit a 180 yd par three in one on a regular basis.
But you deffo need to close the gap in your clubs between irons and 3 wood. 👍

This is usually my approach on one of the holes but the other is pretty much over water the whole way so I do need an alternative that can get me there.

I do think that the majority of my issues with the longer irons on this hole is due to the water constantly being on my mind!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Adam a couple of things to think about. If you have not been playing golf long. Mid 90's is good shooting. But how do we kick on re lowering hcap.
1, lessons with a good pro, he may be at your club he may not. Asking the guys on here re where your base is will help. They will tell you the go to man/ men in your area.
2, the right equipment, which does not have to be released last week and is the be all and end all. Eg the latest Ping clubs do not mean last years were crap. It don't have to cost a fortune.
3, short game short game short game. The old saying "drive for show putt do dough" the next verse is "Mr up and down in two.
Re water on a hole, one day the penny will drop.
Enjoy me man.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I have no issues hitting my long irons as they are my favourite clubs and I use them off the tee regularly.
180 yards is usually an 8 iron for me so don’t usually need long irons for par 3’s although I did need a 2 iron on calamity into a hoolie

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you had a look at a ping crossover 22* 4 iron these are very good on par 3s this length.
We have two 205yds and 195yds
I have the 3 and it’s so easy to hit.
I am not a fan of hybrids but they may suit you.
Use winter time to experiment with some demo clubs on the course if possible.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with Tashyboy. A couple of lessons will improve overall technique. Ask around as I think word of mouth is a really good guide to does and doesn't have a good reputation.
At this stage, a couple of generations backwards of most makes won't be a million miles off the latest model
Work hard on the short game. It can help hugely even on a bad swing day
Learn how to hole out regularly from 2-3 feet.

Go out, work hard on learning how to play those holes on the course and I hope come the start of the season you're firing on all cylinders