Long Putters

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK - the subject has been done to death on here.

Robert Lee (on Sky tonight) said that he believes that the R&A will make an announcement regards long putters soon. He said that there would be a period where players affected can 'get used to' a shorter wand, so they wouldnt be banned with immediate effect.

Not sure how he knows this btw........But things may be happening!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The whisper is that they will ban anchoring as it's the only way to get round it.

I doubt they'll bring in a ban on Amateurs using them for at least 10 years, maybe more.
The Pro Tours and Elite Amateurs will probably be banned from anchoring from 2014........

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No problem with long putters, just anchoring the putting like Scott does! Although it doesn't help you sink a 10 ft putt for a playoff at the open, it must improve accuracy overall!

shammay

Visit site
I would never use a long/belly putter, it's morally wrong. R&A need to make a 35in limit on the length of a putter asap, but as mentioned earlier, they should give amateurs more time to get used to a normal putter. Adam Scott was distinctly average before using the 'broom' but now he is in contention in most tournaments. It's a clear advantage and makes putting less of a challenge.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would never use a long/belly putter, it's morally wrong. R&A need to make a 35in limit on the length of a putter asap, but as mentioned earlier, they should give amateurs more time to get used to a normal putter. Adam Scott was distinctly average before using the 'broom' but now he is in contention in most tournaments. It's a clear advantage and makes putting less of a challenge.

The problem with limiting the length comes to the fore when you have someone like Karlsson who's about 8 feet tall...A 35 incher is like a kids club to him.
And to players like, for example, Woosie, a 35 inch putter is virtually a belly putter

If they are going to do anythng it will be with the way they are used - ie anchoring.
It's the only way.

Also, long putters are not an advantage to everyone otherwise every Pro would be using one. Some people just can't get on with them.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
couldnt give a monkeys about long putters. i have a great stroke on me these days. its all about line and pace anyway.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do have to confess to owning a belly putter. I have tried it on numerous occaisions on the course during normal and competitive rounds. I have found it to be massively inconsistent, this could be down to it being slightly to long for my shorter 5foot 6inch height.

Since reverted to my current Odyssey putter and am putting beautifully with it though if one are of my game is going to fail it's my putting. What I have noticed though, half hour using the belly putter on the putting green then reverting back to the shorter 34" Odyssey works wonders as it helps me slot back into get a better roll and action with the shorter putter.

i'm for whatever helps people play the game longer, In my opinion the belly putter isn't a cure it's actually quite hard to wield properly.