lonely golf

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all
Today I became a lonely golfer :( (for awhile anyway)
Usually I play with hubby on an evening and Sat mornings and we pair up in mixed comps but today hubby had a operation on his left wrist and elbow so won't be able to play for at least 6 weeks :(
I don't like playing alone, find I rush things for some reason :D but I do go out on club night and usually play with someone different and Sat afternoon golf with the ladies is coming to an end (they are mostly 5 day members and only play weekends during the winter as they are given an exemption voucher for Sat play to encourage them to continue playing), I play in the club comps but these are not every week.
There are guys in the club who have offered to play a round but when it comes to it they say they are too busy
What am I to do????? I can't go from 1 week to the next without my golf

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take it as a chance to meet more members and pick up games with whoever is around. Am in a similar position in that my wife only plays in Summer and the others I play with are not available every weekend (they play cricket as well). I do not mind playing alone but am determined this year to find more people to have a round with so as I am never short of a game in the future.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Barb , why not take hubby with you for the walk and fresh air ? He may not be able to play but i'm sure he can toddle along with you . It may help you concentrate as well , having someone with you , and stop you rushing .

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That sounds like a good suggestion from nomadpaul. And if people see you out there they'll realise how keen you are to play and might invite you to join them another time.
Hope your hubbie is up for it.
Tomorrow I have agreed to play with friends who are v. keen to get a game but struggling with health problems and other commitments. Hoping they don't duck out, in which case you can picture me on my own too!

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
AliB

I'm in a similar position this weekend. My regualr partners have got tickets for the London Irish game at Twickenham tomorrow and then are off to watch the football (Celtic v Rangers) on Sunday. One is Celtic fan and the other supports Rangers so it could get lively.

Meanwhile I'm Norman no mates. I'm planning to use the free weekend for some heavey duty short game practice and to play with my new toy (Sky Caddie SG5). Going to find out how far I hit each club and then may go out late tomorrow and play 9 on my own after dinner

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think your avatar is a bit snobby. The Mona Lisa? I don't even know how to post an avatar but if I did it would be Victor Meldrew or Henry Longhurst (golf's greatest ever commentator). Henry was a scratch player, Cambridge man and said ''My word'' when Tony Jacklin smashed his drive down the middle at the 18th at Lytham to win the 1969 Open.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trouble is there is only a limited selectionof avatars so you can't have whoever you please.

I had never heard of Henry Longhurst but was intrigued by the Cambridge connection (and your claim of him being the best commentator ever) so googled him and it turns out that he also said "They say 'practice makes perfect.' Of course, it doesn't. For the vast majority of golfers it merely consolidates imperfection." what a quote!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Actually the only woman I could see there - I think I'm getting to like it.
Henry Longhurst sounds to me like Dan Mascall - the king of understatement - when will we see his likes again?
For sheer brilliance my choice would be Bill MacLaren - no rugby match is quite the same without him.

AliB (still smiling)

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions, mentioned to hubby about coming out for a walk, maybe next week when he can start moving his arm (at the moment he has no use at all in it :().
We don't have a resident pro at our club, we see him maybe a couple of times a month if we're lucky and thats if someone has booked a lesson.
I'll see some of the guys this weekend in our flag competition so may get some offers.

AliB,
I don't think you're avatar is snobbish at all, an avatar is a picture you choose for your own reasons and shoudn't be judged by anyone (even if it is the only female pic to choose from), if you like it keep it, I was going to have a pic of our great dane as my avatar but I couldn't get it to load (he was a clumsy mutt with tons of character, just like me :( so used a standard one instead.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
AliB

That is kind of spooky. We have the Longhurst Cup at Royal Ascot which is a 36 hole stableford competition and one of the top 5 trophies you can win. I was fortunate to win it in 2000 (45 and 40 points and only won by one!)

Not sure of the exact connection with the club but I beleive Henry Longhurst may have been attached to Royal Ascot in either a professional capacity or had played it as a young man. I'll try and find out the definitive reason.

You also mentioned Dan Maskell. I was lucky enough to have been a very good friend of Mr Maskell for several years as he was a member of Wimbledon Common when I was working as an assistant. He would play on a Tuesday and Thursday (tennis commentary committments permitting) with a regular gang and then would retire to the same seats every week in the clubhouse for tea and toast.

I was lucky enough to enjoy a number of rounds with him and he talked in the same way as he commentated. I remember holing an outrageous putt on one hole and he turned round and simply said "oo I say thats a peach". I had heard him say the exact same thing a few weeks earlier during Wimbledon after McEnroe had played some remarkable shot or another and I must confess I had to put my golf towel over my head (it was a warm day and I pretended to wipe myself down) as I was in fits of giggles. He was a lovely man

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Barb
Was also going for own avatar but there sems to be a problem with anything other than the standard ones.
Roll on the new website and we shall all be revealed in our true colours!!
Hope you get some golf in soon. I am off to do a monthly Stableford (is this wise I ask myself!)

AliB

Homer - is there anyone famous you haven't played with ? ;)