DUAL CLUBS

SCOTIA

Visit site
Can someone help me out with this one .
My golf club and pub golf club both play out the same course and sometimes have stroke play competitions running on the same day.
Can i play in both comps if i am playing in a group consisting of a member from each club.
I know one round after the other would be deemed as practice an therefor DQ i was wanting to play one round but enter that score in both comps.

Swango1980

Visit site
My golf club and pub golf club both play out the same course and sometimes have stroke play competitions running on the same day.
Can i play in both comps if i am playing in a group consisting of a member from each club.
I know one round after the other would be deemed as practice an therefor DQ i was wanting to play one round but enter that score in both comps.
On one hand, if the terms of competition allowed it for each club, I don't see why not?

But, from a technical aspect, I'm unsure. Because would your score have to be entered into the system twice, and thus duplicated on your handicap record?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
On one hand, if the terms of competition allowed it for each club, I don't see why not?

But, from a technical aspect, I'm unsure. Because would your score have to be entered into the system twice, and thus duplicated on your handicap record?
That's just a handicap issue, not a valid reason to prevent playing in both, imo.

SCOTIA

Visit site
yeah waiting to hear back from both clubs via match committee. so i'll see what they say . prob one for one against and back to square one ..lol

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely his pub comp would not be subject to WHS entry. I can't remember ever seeing a pub club in the list of affiliated clubs.

Swango1980

Visit site
Surely his pub comp would not be subject to WHS entry. I can't remember ever seeing a pub club in the list of affiliated clubs.
That would be fair enough. If it is just some sort of unofficial pub comp, I can't see why they wouldn't prohibit it.

I only asked the question from a technical standpoint. When the OP referred to both as clubs (rather than one club and another society for example), I wasn't sure if both "clubs" enter competition scores within the computer. And if they did, thought that would automatically send both scores to WHS, thus would there be an easy workaround

wjemather

Visit site
It's clearly an organised competition; the affiliation status of the organiser is not relevant, other than in determining the process by which the scores get submitted for handicapping.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is this a "can I play in two competitions" or "can I enter two scores for handicap question"?
It was always the former. The responses were very clear on that.

The handicap issue was simply raised as it might be relevant from a technical standpoint, and may be impossible to ignore (for example, if scores for both competitions we're entered into something like howdidido). And not relevant if all if the pub competition was simply processed using pen and paper.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why so you say 'I know one round after the other would be deemed as practice'?
I can't see anything that suggests a second competition is practicing.
My County and club many competitions where one round is played in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Re WHS, assuming the pub committee is not an Authorised Association, those scores would be returned as 'General Play' scores as defined.

DickInShorts

Visit site
My County and club many competitions where one round is played in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Re WHS, assuming the pub committee is not an Authorised Association, those scores would be returned as 'General Play' scores as defined.
Surely your example is ONE competition of TWO rounds - this is not the same as the OP :
His query is TWO competitions ONE round - an unusual situation

Swango1980

Visit site

Just to clarify:

Let us say my club is running a stroke play competition in the afternoon. My mates are running a roll up competition in the morning. So, I play with my mates in morning first.

Are you telling me the club cannot DQ me for playing the course in the morning?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to clarify:

Let us say my club is running a stroke play competition in the afternoon. My mates are running a roll up competition in the morning. So, I play with my mates in morning first.

Are you telling me the club cannot DQ me for playing the course in the morning?
Under what rule?
NB Practice is not defined.

WHS only requires an 'Organised competition' as opposed to General play. The implication being (IMO) that it is not practice.

Swango1980

Visit site
Under what rule?

WHS only requires an 'Organised competition' as opposed to General play. The implication being (IMO) that it is not practice.
I'm asking you, that's all.

So, I can play a morning roll up and then a club stroke play competition afterwards, and the Committee won't consider my morning round as practice.

It is new to me, but useful. It is why we come on these forums, to learn more

Swango1980

Visit site
Under what rule?

Just looked up the rule about practice. It is defined. The first thing it says is:

"Practising on the course means playing a ball...."

So, if I play a morning round, how is that not defined as practice for the second round competition?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Under what rule?
NB Practice is not defined
Practise is indeed defined at 5.2:

“Practising on the course” means playing a ball, or testing the surface of the putting green of any hole by rolling a ball or rubbing the surface,

So a player who plays a ball on the course on the day of, and before, a stroke play competition would be in breach of 5.2b (with a few exceptions noted at 5.2b)

Having said that, I thought #1 was pretty clear. The scenario in question only involves a single round of golf with no on-course practice beforehand.