London hotels

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few of us are going to a gig at the West Ham stadium next year, against my will I must add ?
We are looking at getting a hotel for a couple of nights (Fri and Sat) where would you suggest we stay in and around London?
Decent bars or restaurants would be nice ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you just want the hotel to be base and not too worried about having all the frills, we use the Premier Inn at County Hall (by the London Eye). Handy for all the South Bank entertainment and not too far from the West End - walkable in about 20-30 minutes. Not sure on link to get to the game though!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks mate, I asked my brother and he suggested somewhere near King's Cross or maybe Liverpool Street Station as we'll be arriving by train. Apparently there's a place called Brick Lane with lots of curry houses on ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have just come back from 5 nights at the Premier Inn, Farringdon. 1 tube stop from Kings Cross, equi distance from either Farringdon or St Pauls tube. Pubs within a 5-10 minute walk. It isn't a jumping area but it is a good base and with London I tend to think that is the key.

I've previously stayed at the one suggested by Neilds and it is very central. Good place, take your pick

I'd highly recommend going to a street called, Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell EC1R 4QL. Jumping street, we ate at a place called The Street Easy which I would again recommend. Any along there would be good though.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are unlimited options, if you stay anywhere central good bars and restaurants are a stones throw away.

Neilds's suggestions is a good one - easy links from there to Stratford on the Jubilee line. Lots of different options depending on what you like for food and drink.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks mate, I asked my brother and he suggested somewhere near King's Cross or maybe Liverpool Street Station as we'll be arriving by train. Apparently there's a place called Brick Lane with lots of curry houses on ?
Liverpool Street would give you access to all the hipster places around Shoreditch etc. Brick Lane is the place for curries, also check out Dishoom (they have a branch at Shoreditch) if you want a posher Indian. They do a great Full Indian breakfast and sausage/bacon naan wraps if you can handle a curry for breakfast - will soak up plenty of beer for the rest of the day :p

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have just come back from 5 nights at the Premier Inn, Farringdon. 1 tube stop from Kings Cross, equi distance from either Farringdon or St Pauls tube. Pubs within a 5-10 minute walk. It isn't a jumping area but it is a good base and with London I tend to think that is the key.

I've previously stayed at the one suggested by Neilds and it is very central. Good place, take your pick

I used to work around there - I'd say it's a bit quiet at the weekend, but it's only a 10 min walk to Covent Garden.

That's the joy of London, you're never that far from anywhere.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Kings Cross area, I'd try and stay somewhere near the river anywhere from London Bridge to Westminster. If on the south side of the river, you'll never be far from the Jubilee line to get to Stratford and walking distance of all the bars and restaurants you could need.

London Bridge isn't a bad area at all actually - it has the benefit of Borough Market, the option to go to breweries further along in Bermondsey, Bermondsey Street is a trendy place for bars and restaurants, and the river front area is good too all the way to Tower Bridge and beyond. Easy transport links - overground from Kings Cross to there, and on the Jubilee Line for Stratford.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Liverpool Street would give you access to all the hipster places around Shoreditch etc. Brick Lane is the place for curries, also check out Dishoom (they have a branch at Shoreditch) if you want a posher Indian. They do a great Full Indian breakfast and sausage/bacon naan wraps if you can handle a curry for breakfast - will soak up plenty of beer for the rest of the day :p

Dishoom is good! They have quite a few places around London, only been to the Covent Garden one personally.

Brick Lane would be good fun

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to work around there - I'd say it's a bit quiet at the weekend, but it's only a 10 min walk to Covent Garden.

That's the joy of London, you're never that far from anywhere.
We were there mid week but I get your point. It looked an office type area rather than a residential place. Good base though, stay there, walk or get a short tube to the night spots.

10 minutes to Covent Garden :oops:. We did that walk on Friday morning, you have a longer stride than me :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Brick lane is a rip off for average curry

Head just down road to Whitechapel for proper Indian food .. brick lane is just a name now days

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We were there mid week but I get your point. It looked an office type area rather than a residential place. Good base though, stay there, walk or get a short tube to the night spots.

10 minutes to Covent Garden :oops:. We did that walk on Friday morning, you have a longer stride than me :LOL:

Haha! I think the premier inn is the other side of Farringdon Street from where I worked, so it would be fair bit further. I like that area, Paternoster Square, St Pauls, Smithfields, some decent bars and restaurants around Bank too, but definitely quieter at the weekend. However, that might be what some people like!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha! I think the premier inn is the other side of Farringdon Street from where I worked, so it would be fair bit further. I like that area, Paternoster Square, St Pauls, Smithfields, some decent bars and restaurants around Bank too, but definitely quieter at the weekend. However, that might be what some people like!
It suited what we wanted and we would defintely use it again. I like that the direct area around the hotel was quiet, I don't want to be kept up at night, don't want a place full of drunks. That could be an age thing :LOL:.

It really was simple to walk to more life and the choice of 2 tube lines within 5 minutes was spot on. As you say though, if you want jumping nightlife directly outside your door at a weekend then it is not the location for you.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I'd highly recommend going to a street called, Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell EC1R 4QL. Jumping street, we ate at a place called The Street Easy which I would again recommend. Any along there would be good though.

Good shout mate, we don't want anywhere bouncing just some decent drinking pubs and somewhere to get some food ? I've found out I'm not in charge of the hotel booking so we could be anywhere ?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
A few of us are going to a gig at the West Ham stadium next year, against my will I must add ?
We are looking at getting a hotel for a couple of nights (Fri and Sat) where would you suggest we stay in and around London?
Decent bars or restaurants would be nice ?

Not hotel related, but have you looked up any good BBQ places?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We recently stayed a night in the H10 hotel close to Waterloo and Imperial War Museum way. No idea how you get to Stratford from there, but it won’t be hard. Cost us £100 for the night, decent, comfortable and easy walking distance of South Bank and Borough Market.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've always stayed at the London Central city road Travelodge and found it a great base. Close enough to the tube, few bars close by and and within a walk to Shoreditch which wasn't too hipster for us.