London hotels

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
It doesn't really matter where you stay, as long as you are near the DLR, Central or Jubilee lines. There are decent boozers everwhere.
I prefer east to central London, but it's just preference really.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We used to stay at the Premiere Inn at Chiswick before Covid. It was very cheap on a Sunday night, around £35 for two of us, this would go up to around £150 on a Monday.

sunshine

Visit site
Liverpool Street would give you access to all the hipster places around Shoreditch etc. Brick Lane is the place for curries, also check out Dishoom (they have a branch at Shoreditch) if you want a posher Indian. They do a great Full Indian breakfast and sausage/bacon naan wraps if you can handle a curry for breakfast - will soak up plenty of beer for the rest of the day :p

There's a Dishoom at Kings Cross too. Next to Coal Drops yard which has some nice bars and restaurants and looks lively at the weekend.

Anywhere in the "city" e.g. Farringdon, will be dead at the weekend. Although Urban Golf is in Farringdon if you fancy hitting some balls while evening drinking.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you just want the hotel to be base and not too worried about having all the frills, we use the Premier Inn at County Hall (by the London Eye). Handy for all the South Bank entertainment and not too far from the West End - walkable in about 20-30 minutes. Not sure on link to get to the game though!

I've stayed there a few times. Very good as are all Premier Inns.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've always stayed at the London Central city road Travelodge and found it a great base. Close enough to the tube, few bars close by and and within a walk to Shoreditch which wasn't too hipster for us.

Thanks for this, we've just booked into this hotel for the Friday and Saturday nights. Seems to be very well located for what we want, also close to Smokestak and the place with the breakfast naans ?
There's a Wetherspoons around the corner as well ???

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for this, we've just booked into this hotel for the Friday and Saturday nights. Seems to be very well located for what we want, also close to Smokestak and the place with the breakfast naans ?

There's much better value options. Every time I walk past it looks depressing in there.

However if you are just using it as a bed for the night, it's a great location. The aviary on the top of the Montcalm hotel on Finsbury square is a decent place to have a drink if it's warm!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's much better value options. Every time I walk past it looks depressing in there.

However if you are just using it as a bed for the night, it's a great location. The aviary on the top of the Montcalm hotel on Finsbury square is a decent place to have a drink if it's warm!

Yeah it's literally just a place to crash on an evening, I'm hoping to spend as little time as possible in there.
Are there any rock bars in that area?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes indeed, you going as well?

Not this time, seen them a few times already and not in the right frame of mind to think about venues that big and that busy. Have tickets for Passenger at Rock City in a couple of weeks and not sure I am even up to a venue of that size yet.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not this time, seen them a few times already and not in the right frame of mind to think about venues that big and that busy. Have tickets for Passenger at Rock City in a couple of weeks and not sure I am even up to a venue of that size yet.

Rock City in Nottingham? Went there for the first time last year (just before lockdown) and I thought it was a superb venue.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rock City in Nottingham? Went there for the first time last year (just before lockdown) and I thought it was a superb venue.

Been my 'home venue' for years as only live an hour away. Decent Premier Inn down the road, Annie's Burger Shack and a great, pretty intimate venue. Normally go there several times a year but need to clear the covid mental block pretty quick if I want to be back in there on 4th September.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Went to my first gig in 18 months at the weekend, a punk covers band in the back room of a pub in Gateshead. That was plenty big enough for me!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That's all we use it for. And there's a bar which is handy. Drop bags off, out, back to shower/change, out, sleep, out. This is why I hate paying over the odds for hotels when you know this is all you're doing.