Local rule to limit the length of tee shot

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In our case, the golf course precedes the housing, but as Liverpoolphil has indicated, that has no relevance in the matter of the club's liabilities in respect of stray balls landing outside its own property.

salfordlad

Visit site
There's aye someone. :rolleyes::D
That's not been legislated for but I think it should go into the category of "If it happens, let me know and if it happens again, we'll do something about it."
We are quality golfers. Our duffed shots make it to the penalty area 40 yards in front of the tees.
C'mon, confess! It's downhill, right?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A club near to me stopped allowing woods off the tee due to the expansion of a caravan park running down the left of one particular hole. They put up a large net / fence but still had the rule. Didn't stop a hooked 7 iron going over it though :oops:.

As others have said, the real answer is to naturally push the tee shot away from that area. Grow rough, add bunkers, move the tee box etc. Artificially doing this by altering the club selection doesn't take into account the differing abilities of players or the plain bad shot.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is no rule nor approved local rule prohibiting the use of a conforming club.
A South Manchester Club with a hole alongside the M62 restricts tee shots to irons only and another limits one tee to irons or rescue woods .
first it could cause a big crash bouncing down the m62 and the other has gardens in reach with woods !

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t matter anymore - the house owner will always win if it went to court

Is the correct answer. Someone recent purchased a house that backed into our 15th as they loved the view, a few stray balls into his garden and it was on the verge of going to court with the aim to get the hole shut down. The houses are mid 60’s so we’re after the course, the only reason we got to keep the hole was it was originally designed as a par4 and as such reducing it back to that length meant the house was out of play.

It’s completely ruined the hole, the club offered to cover the cost of a higher net style fence but he didn’t want to ruin the view over the course. The worst is the back garden is well over 120ft long and they the few that did land was in the scrubby bushes area right at the end ??

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Is the correct answer. Someone recent purchased a house that backed into our 15th as they loved the view, a few stray balls into his garden and it was on the verge of going to court with the aim to get the hole shut down. The houses are mid 60’s so we’re after the course, the only reason we got to keep the hole was it was originally designed as a par4 and as such reducing it back to that length meant the house was out of play.

It’s completely ruined the hole, the club offered to cover the cost of a higher net style fence but he didn’t want to ruin the view over the course. The worst is the back garden is well over 120ft long and they the few that did land was in the scrubby bushes area right at the end ??

Everyone has had d*ckhead neighbours at some point.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

If the house owner refuses "reasonable remedies" they are changing the legal landscape. There is also nothing stopping the club planting some very fast growing and very large leylandii or similar inside their boundary to prevent balls going into the property.

I heard of one club in Wales having a similar issue and saying they were going to reroute the course and use the land for pig farming. Amazing how that changed the conversion. Applications for Social housing usually delights planners and upsets home owners like this too! :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the house owner refuses "reasonable remedies" they are changing the legal landscape. There is also nothing stopping the club planting some very fast growing and very large leylandii or similar inside their boundary to prevent balls going into the property.

I heard of one club in Wales having a similar issue and saying they were going to reroute the course and use the land for pig farming. Amazing how that changed the conversion. Applications for Social housing usually delights planners and upsets home owners like this too! :)

For me it’s simple, the house backs on to a golf course so expect balls in the garden. The same happened a few years back with someone buying a house that backed onto brands hatch race circuit. They apparent “ under estimated “ the level of noise and restrictions were placed on the use of the full circuit.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it’s simple, the house backs on to a golf course so expect balls in the garden. The same happened a few years back with someone buying a house that backed onto brands hatch race circuit. They apparent “ under estimated “ the level of noise and restrictions were placed on the use of the full circuit.

My house fronts on to a road. Should I expect the occasional car or bus in my front garden and have no redress against the driver?