Lithium battery's new legislation

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think one of the problems relates to letter / parcel bombs.

When you xray a lithium battery it looks remarkably like an explosive device. If you ever see a scan of an iPad it looks the same which is why they often ask you to remove it from your baggage and occasionally turn it on.

If the carrier knows it's handling a hazardous material it can act accordingly but a chunky lithium battery look alike could ruin a lot of people's day.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lithium ION batteries are shipped all the time - probably the biggest source of largish ones being power tools. Never seen a hazardous shipping label on one yet.

If you want bigger than a golf trolley then you have electric bikes - again I've not seen a hazardous label on the main shipping carton.

Some crossed wires somewhere (not about legislation but it's impact)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In a way the problem is nothing to do with planes........but if a lith battery explodes in a plane it can bring it down...no such issue if it on the ground.

Lith batteries should be discharged before shipping and the main issue is usually the PCM Protection Circuit Module, a device that stops lith batteries overcharging and overheating. Usually if there's an issue it comes from that area. Lith batteries also need different chargers, so watch. Production, manufacturing is also very critical requiring a super clean work place.

In short if you send a fully charged lith battery and something goes wrong then it can go wrong big time. If its discharged then its much safer. Most lith batteries are shipped around the world.....that's by sea. Even then they only have a percentage of charge.

I've been testing Lith batteries for a couple of years now and they are perfectly safe if handled, transported, charged and used properly. In saying that, I've just replaced my trolley with a lead acid.

Thommo , why would you replace your lithium with a lead battery, I thought lithium was the future. It's like going from CDs back to vinyl. Which I much prefer anyway 😁.
cheers mah man.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Thommo , why would you replace your lithium with a lead battery, I thought lithium was the future. It's like going from CDs back to vinyl. Which I much prefer anyway 😁.
cheers mah man.

I wouldn't go back to vinyl, no way. My hifi is where I want it at this time without LPs. Lead acid, well it's cheaper and it gets the job done perfectly well. Lith has been the future for many years so it's not really the future and lead acid has it's place....still.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Lithium ION batteries are shipped all the time - probably the biggest source of largish ones being power tools. Never seen a hazardous shipping label on one yet.

If you want bigger than a golf trolley then you have electric bikes - again I've not seen a hazardous label on the main shipping carton.

Some crossed wires somewhere (not about legislation but it's impact)

Yeah...