Links golf

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Joined a links course when I relocated/retired. Never played a true links before. It takes some adjusting and it always seems to be windy, even in summer.
Its tough, but the challenge is enjoyable. As has been said before, forget what you normally hit for a specific distance. With the wind and it will go miles and run, into the wind can be brutal.
If the rough is up be prepared to lose some balls, and if you do find it in the rough, mind your wrists when you try to hit out of it!!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Most important thing to take? Your imagination!!

My mate is a 5 handicapper on an inland course. He hits it hard, he hits it high and he hits it miles. I love watching him try and do that on a links. Lands his 9 iron on the green and it ends up in the long grass at the back. Wonders why! :)

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Just finished. Was Seacroft Skegness I was playing.

I usually shoot 90-95 but have only played a handful of rounds after a 12 month or so break.

Started off with 4 doubles in a row into the wind, including a par 3 at about 150 yards that I hit 4 wood in to and came up short ?

Got used to it a bit after that and recovered to finish 95, with some decent pars in there. Could have been lower without 2 three putts and 2 lip outs on the back 9 too.

Had to laugh on 17 when I topped a FW tee shot fully but it went 230 yards down the fairway because they were that firm ???

Felt strange playing half swing 6 irons that were going 160-170 yards, but was enjoyable having a different type of course.

On to Louth golf club tomorrow for a return to Parkland.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely an art and a form of the game I don't get to play often enough so when I do I lower expectations and just try and enjoy the day and not worry about the score too much

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was at Sutton Green in Surrey once, the most parkland course you can find and the starter was trying to convince everyone it plays like a links. His only proof was this was "that the wind blows a bit". Some people have no idea what a links really is. Thankfully everyone on this thread does.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve just recently gone back to links golf and joined a links club ,it’s my favourite golf no round is ever the same I love it !

I’d play a nice links over a parkland any day plus it’s all year round golf .

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was at Sutton Green in Surrey once, the most parkland course you can find and the starter was trying to convince everyone it plays like a links. His only proof was this was "that the wind blows a bit". Some people have no idea what a links really is. Thankfully everyone on this thread does.
Haha.

Usually the same people who call a breeze >5mph "a hoolie"

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
Hadn't played one for a long time until a couple weeks ago when we had a match at one - they had just had their club championships a few days before so the course was in great condition, but we definitely got lucky with the wind as it was pretty calm

I hadn't played there before, and there are a couple holes I would play slightly different now that I know as there were a couple of blind tee shots - one in particular was something like a 50yd landing area and I almost hit it too far and was just short of the far end of the landing area before a steep downslope

Lost a couple of balls but they were down to bad shots (and would have likely lost them on almost any course with how bad they were) but still won my match 4&3