Links golf is just soooooo dull

Andr3w

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went to Muirfield on Thursday. The holes have MUCH more character in reality than you can pick up on tv. There's all kinds of slopes and humps and hollows and things you don't really pick up on tv.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lots of sense posted here but a helluva lot of nonsense also. There is one thing about links golf, the more you play it, the more you understand it and if you begin to appreciate it then the chances are a love for it follows.

I would suggest those who don't like it have probably played a handful of rounds at most.

And the most hilarious post about Muirfield being flat and boring :rofl: again written by someone who has neither visited or played it. Muirfield is not flat and has more character than the TV can show.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would suggest those who don't like it have probably played a handful of rounds at most.

Or just played so badly their one and only time that it scarred them.:whoo:
Golf course types are very much like beautiful women (slight fast show reference), some like brunettes (parkland), some like blondes (links), even the gingers (heathland) get a little lovin! Some people like them all!! while some are boring and only ever tried one.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
17 July 2013

By Today's Golfer

Muirfield’s website hails the hallowed turf outside its windows as “fair, inspiring, elegant and world-renowned”, but you could add to that list “demanding” and, at times, “desolate”.

With no towering dunes or dramatic changes of elevation, this is a layout that only reveals its true identity to those who look closely enough – and that means with clubs on your back, a ball at your feet and a scorecard in your hand. Muirfield may not be the most aesthetically pleasing of golf courses, but its credentials plumb depths far beyond beauty.

not my words ;) lol @ not flat !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or just played so badly their one and only time that it scarred them.:whoo:
Golf course types are very much like beautiful women (slight fast show reference), some like brunettes (parkland), some like blondes (links), even the gingers (heathland) get a little lovin! Some people like them all!! while some are boring and only ever tried one.

I think I'd make parkland blonde - looks good but can be very similar, shallow and unsatisfying - and brunette - nothing much to see here then until you get going and boy can they spring surprises.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
17 July 2013

By Today's Golfer

Muirfield’s website hails the hallowed turf outside its windows as “fair, inspiring, elegant and world-renowned”, but you could add to that list “demanding” and, at times, “desolate”.

With no towering dunes or dramatic changes of elevation, this is a layout that only reveals its true identity to those who look closely enough – and that means with clubs on your back, a ball at your feet and a scorecard in your hand. Muirfield may not be the most aesthetically pleasing of golf courses, but its credentials plumb depths far beyond beauty.

not my words ;) lol @ not flat !

I have to say that there are certainly a few holes that have a fair enough incline up to the green that came across on the tell. (Ive never been to Muirfield)

BTW why does a course have to be like a field of buried elephants to be good? undulations are fine and well, hills (like my place) dont necessarily make it great, a decent view, challenging fairways and green locations help though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hills on a golf course is my personal preference. they add an extra dimension. without them it becomes a little boring.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have to say i kind of agree despite being a links player

Muirfield was a let down for me, after all the hype: the best, fairest links producing the best champions etc..
i only noticed a few reasonable dunes on the 17th i think, and one of the par 3's apart from that it seemed quite flat and dull,
also not a fan of those centre strips running down to the fairway.

I honestly think my home links course has more character.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Scrabo is mental.

With quite possibly europes hardest opening hole as mentioned by a few pros.
Gorse everywhere, that fairway is not as wide as it looks there and OB behind the sliver thin green.
Scrabo%2B1.jpg

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
All I will say is you cant judge Muirfield properly until you have been there and seen/played it. I played it in March and it was so much better than it looked on tv for the open. Its not a mountain goat course by any means but there a lot more character and feature than comes across on the telly.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember the same being said about RSG the other year. Having been there and played it, it is far from 'flat and boring'. New Zealand by that definition is certainly flat and boring, but a lovely place to play.

Also don't forget you can have LUCKY bounces on links courses as well as unfair! ;)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love this perception that Muirfield is flat :rofl: there are no dramatic changes in elevation granted but a few holes do play gradually uphill. If you want to talk about flat links then think St Andrews.

S

Snelly

I have played at Muirfield and I can tell you now, it is not flat. It's not mountainous either but it has enough undulations to make it very interesting and enjoyable.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
val you have got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

muirfield is indefensibly flat. it has been stated many times, that it is arguably boring to look at due to its lack of big dunes and spectacular views that other links courses enjoy. this was backed up by many reviews and also people on here watching on t.v.

this does not make it a bad golf course. many pros state they love the course due to the layout. every hole keeps you guessing in the wind. this is very good course design. its many well placed bunkers provide much food for thought.

this years open gave us great enjoyment and a worthy winner. im not taking too much away from the course but it is not without its faults imo.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
just one thing about Muirfield and it's attractiveness - let's not forget bottom line is that it's a golf competion not a TV golf viewing programme. Sad the day will be if The Open venue has to look good on telly or it won't be chosen.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have to say i kind of agree despite being a links player

Muirfield was a let down for me, after all the hype: the best, fairest links producing the best champions etc..
i only noticed a few reasonable dunes on the 17th i think, and one of the par 3's apart from that it seemed quite flat and dull,
also not a fan of those centre strips running down to the fairway.

I honestly think my home links course has more character.

I'm glad someone has got it right :thup:

Muirfield has nothing more than 'undulations' it is pretty much flat. Yes it is challenging but it's not a pretty golf course and to be perfectly honest, I think I'd get bored if I had to play it week in week out.

Burnham is much more interesting with a lot more elevation changes. Only thing letting it down is the stretch from the 2nd shot on 10th through to tee shot on 12th, no weaknesses apart from that little stretch.