Link in scotland

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
What are good links courses to play during the winter months no more than an hour from glasgow and have some cheap rates too all suggestions welcome

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure if Dundonald still do the winter £160 4 ball offer? If so its great value.
Sure there will be a few available in that price range.
Dunno if Fabian (Farneyman) is still at Prestwick St. Nicholas but that was decent when I played it years ago in winter.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks I'm looking at dundonald played it before and was a great course, and does that deal through winter,, barrassie and western Gail's are on my radar I'm just wondering if there is any others I should be looking at prestwick is also an option

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Crawford was a member some time back at West Kilbride, it always looked nice, just looked at there page says £30 for winter.

i would be suprised if WG would do much of a deal, and Barrassie, has some very parkland holes inland so i doubt much of that is great for winter.

or there Irvine, which again looks nice, though i'm not sure how well it drains asp as its known as the bogside?

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks I'm looking at dundonald played it before and was a great course, and does that deal through winter,, barrassie and western Gail's are on my radar I'm just wondering if there is any others I should be looking at prestwick is also an option

If you can get a time, you can get onto Gullane thru the winter for your budget.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure if Dundonald still do the winter £160 4 ball offer? If so its great value.
Sure there will be a few available in that price range.
Dunno if Fabian (Farneyman) is still at Prestwick St. Nicholas but that was decent when I played it years ago in winter.

Dundonald is a cash cow now, not a chance of a deal.

Edit - I lie. There are deals available dearest being £200 a 4 ball which is well worth it.

https://www.dundonaldlinks.com/booking/special-offers/

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Crawford was a member some time back at West Kilbride, it always looked nice, just looked at there page says £30 for winter.

i would be suprised if WG would do much of a deal, and Barrassie, has some very parkland holes inland so i doubt much of that is great for winter.

or there Irvine, which again looks nice, though i'm not sure how well it drains asp as its known as the bogside?

Barassie is 100% links and a good shout for winter. There are some trees but the turf is definitely links. Personally I think its a great track and a very underrated course when taken into context with the other links in that area. West Kilbride will be lift to the semi rough. Very short and will probably be on an even shorter course for the winter months.

Irvine Bogside I'm not a fan of, others may be, so I'll let the OP make up his own mind.

Heading east you also have a few options with Gullane 2 & 3 which may be within that budget, I've not checked. The Glen isn't bad either for a winter knock.

Just about within travel distance I'm sure you'll get Monifieth, Montrose, you'll also get Carnoustie Burnside and Buddon for under £40. I've not played the Buddon but Burnside was OK.

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys some decent options barrassie £40 wg £55 are two I really want to play just looking for some cheaper so can play a few more

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Barassie is 100% links and a good shout for winter. There are some trees but the turf is definitely links. Personally I think its a great track and a very underrated course when taken into context with the other links in that area. West Kilbride will be lift to the semi rough. Very short and will probably be on an even shorter course for the winter months.

Irvine Bogside I'm not a fan of, other may be so I'll let the OP make up his own mind.

Heading east you also have a few options with Gullane 2 & 3 which may be within that budget, I've not checked. The Glen isn't bad either for a winter knock.

Just about within travel distance I'm sure you'll get Monifieth, Montrose, you'll also get Carnoustie Burnside and Buddon for under £40. I've not played the Buddon but Burnside was OK.

Played Barrassie a few times as we have a home and away match with them and always thought it was more heathland, last time was some 4 years ago and apart from the new holes thought there were quite a lot of tree's. The 9 holers isn't bad ( the old holes) though again more heathland i would say.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Keep an eye out for Open Comps.
Here in NI&I all of the links courses do open comps and winter leagues throughout the winter. I would assume the Scottish courses do the same?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Keep an eye out for Open Comps.
Here in NI&I all of the links courses do open comps and winter leagues throughout the winter. I would assume the Scottish courses do the same?
i'm not sure any course in scotland has opens in the winter... though if you were a club member you could maybe sign up for a Winter Allince which is a cheap round at courses in that district, though you usually have to be a member of a club in that dist

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i'm not sure any course in scotland has opens in the winter... though if you were a club member you could maybe sign up for a Winter Allince which is a cheap round at courses in that district, though you usually have to be a member of a club in that dist

Oh really?

We have a lot on during the winter.

Portmarnock Winter Series is a big one, it is 55 euro to play but you get a lot of touring pros playing in it.

Then the likes of Seapoint, Port Salon, Enniscrone, North West all have weekly opens for around the 30 euro mark.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh really?

We have a lot on during the winter.

Portmarnock Winter Series is a big one, it is 55 euro to play but you get a lot of touring pros playing in it.

Then the likes of Seapoint, Port Salon, Enniscrone, North West all have weekly opens for around the 30 euro mark.
most courses up here would be on winter tee's and mats in a lot of places, you have to remember scotland is further north than Ireland. the only thins we have are the Allinces which are sort of NQ comps over the winter from Oct to Feb, they are region bases so you have to be a member of one of the clubs in that region, up here we have the North which would be from the Cromarty firth upwards to Durness, or local is the Moray and Inverness from Spey Bay cross to Muir of ord and all those clubs, The Aberdeen one Paul Laurie playes in they get a few pros' playing but not up here that i knwo of maybe a couple

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Barrassie a few times as we have a home and away match with them and always thought it was more heathland, last time was some 4 years ago and apart from the new holes thought there were quite a lot of tree's. The 9 holers isn't bad ( the old holes) though again more heathland i would say.
Barassie isnt heathland, it is links though there are some scots pines that have been planted on the perimeter of some holes, also there arnt many holes where you can see the sea but there are a couple. Bogside (irvine) is very much heathland and a good course albeit quite quirky and not everybody's cup of tea. Barassie is very underrated as a course, one of the top course in ayrshire by a margin. West kilbride is good condition wise but quite short and uninspiring for the most part IMO.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The Glen do a winter Stableford open every Thursday, think its £20 for visitors this year.